What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'10 | R22 | Mon | Raiders 30-26 Panthers | Canberra

Result: Raiders v Panthers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
great 2nd half , Its amazing what a team can do on the back of momentum.

Crokers goal kicking was a huge bonus and his running game made Purts look silly sometimes.

Paullyboy

Coach
Cummins is simply not up to NRL standard. He was horrible in favour of the Panthers in the first half, and even worse in favour of us in the second.

I just would love to get a referee who isn't a muppet.

innsaneink

Referee
Highly influenced by refs towards both sides, moreso the raiders, Skeepe...imagine how much fun youd have had if youd actually attended this game

Doomednow

Bench
Watched this one at the pub. Had to check on here when I got home to make sure it wasn't the black coloured glasses making me think the refs gifted that. Enjoy the points.

Other random thoughts:

Once again, dropped in intensity, though we really weren't given a chance to anything in the second half.

Vidot is a dog. Absolutely.

Gordon stepped it up as fullback. Lewis played his arse off. Threw a rubbish pass but made the next three tackles from marker. Even in the dying minute or two of the game he was going at it hard. The rest of the team could learn something from him. Absolutely our best player.

We are really likely to do nothing in the finals. Prove me wrong, Panthers. Please.

Best call of the night: Dugan throws away the ball and tries to milk a strip from it. Refs don't buy it. I can't believe they got that right. Dugan showed tonight how excellent he is at the game. But I can't stand rubbish like that little trick he tried to pull.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Highly influenced by refs towards both sides, moreso the raiders
i think thats a fair assessment of it
by fulltime they'd definitely helped us out more than he did penrith, but they played a huge role in the Panthers 1st half lead

I think the better team on the night won but the refereeing was farcical at best

skeepe

Immortal
I still stand by my call that tonight was the most disgraceful refereeing performance I've ever seen.

A big, big wrap to the crowd tonight. That was one of the most electrifying atmospheres I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of. The "Cummins' a wanker" chants brought a tear to the eye, they really did.

Ben Cummins tonight showed why he is nowhere near NRL standard. After his abhorrent first half, he let the crowd get to him by blowing equally ridiculous penalties to the Raiders in the second half. I don't think I'm exaggerating if I say that the majority of points tonight for both sides all came on the back of some very, very dodgy decisions. Referees should not be influenced by the crowd the way Cummins was in the second half, nor should they come into the game with preconceived ideas like he did in the first half.

That was an incredibly gutsy second half. The forwards were immense, none moreso in my opinion than the big giraffe Dane Tilse. Jarrod Croker was back to his electric best, helped by some truly woeful defending by Adrian Purtell. If the Bulldogs forwards are as soft next week as they were yesterday, we'll absolutely murder them.

TheFrog

Coach
A big, big wrap to the crowd tonight.

Well everytime they started booing, the whistle went.

Penrith did a pretty fair job settling the game down around the 60th minute, but succumbed to several sets at their line after a ridiculous penalty. The Raiders, with plenty of ball and the crowd behind them, are a side to be reckoned with.

The Dragons would have survived this onslaught. This is why they are leading the comp and we are a very perilous 2nd.

Last edited:

Fibroman

First Grade
Clearly Purtell ws the difference between the 2 sides. Got stood up in defence all night and never came within a bull's roar of breaking the line. Elliott has an infatuation with ex-canberra plodders. I'd rather see Wade Graham in the centres than Purtell....at least he can tackle.

bigfoot

Juniors
Seriously, the refereeing in this comp is just... terrible.

First half some shocking calls went both ways, mainly to the Panthers.
Second half some shocking calls went both ways, nearly all to the Raiders. Although I'm biased so maybe the Raiders had just as many shockers go against them, haha.

This is honestly becoming a trend though. Every time a team in this comp has a lead at half time, they always seem to get run down, or at least win by less than their half time lead. Coincidence? I don't think so.

I'd absolutely love to see some stats for teams who were leading at half time: How many times did they win by more than their half time lead, and how many times did they either lose or win by less than their half time lead?

Onto the actual game, well I called it before kick-off. As Fibroman said, the difference between the two teams was Purtell, and also Elliott the useless idiot only picking one prop on the bench. Take Purtell out of that side and replace him with, well, basically anybody who can tackle, and take either Nathan Smith or Gavin Cooper off that bench and replace them with a prop like Puletua, etc, and there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that the Panthers win that match, although I'm sure Raiders fans would disagree, lol.

Being without your fullback and halfback doesn't help things either I guess. :p

Not confident about next week, although the Tigers have been playing crap too, and we always seem to beat them for some reason.

typicalfan

Coach
Panthers should win every game from here. This one was the bigger test.

How good was Michael Gordon. At the end of the game you knew that the big play the Panthers needed would have come either from Lewis, Pritchard or Gordon. In the end the Raiders scramble was too good.

As for outside backs I am not sure what Penrith are to do. It is as though they are an outside back short even with Coote back. Tighe and Purtell both have weaknesses as does Earl, Elford or Simmons.

Penrith really need another class centre or winger.

Jason Maher

Immortal
It was clear as f**king day Vidot pulled out of that
how do you award an 8 point try for that?

f**king disgrace

I knew at least one Canberra fan would pull out the Jarryd Hayne defence "oh but he was trying to pull out of it". Doesn't matter. He had obvious intent, and still made contact. Obvious 8 point try.

The call on Gordon was a shocker, but it's hardly the first time a player has been rewarded for leaping into a defender and tripping himself up in the process. The refs seem to assume "tackled in midair" whenever a player taking the ball comes down awkwardly. None of that changes how brittle Penrith's defence was in the second stanza. Aside from Wayne Bennett, defence is obviously viewed as an optional extra by coaches in 2010.

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
Panthers should win every game from here. This one was the bigger test.

How good was Michael Gordon. At the end of the game you knew that the big play the Panthers needed would have come either from Lewis, Pritchard or Gordon. In the end the Raiders scramble was too good.

As for outside backs I am not sure what Penrith are to do. It is as though they are an outside back short even with Coote back. Tighe and Purtell both have weaknesses as does Earl, Elford or Simmons.

Penrith really need another class centre or winger.

Thing is I don't think Purtell would be anywhere near as bad on the wing as he is in the centres, and Earl was made to look far worse than he is by having that hack "defending" (I use the term very loosely) on the inside of him. It was ridiculous thinking anything other than what eventuated would happen with those two on the edge together.

Put Gordon at centre when Coote comes back. He's shown he's easily the best defensive player in our backline. He reads the game brilliantly, tackles as well as anyone in the comp and showed tonight what he can do when he gets his hands on the ball. Stick any one of Earl, Simmons or Purtell outside him and we concede between 1 and 3 less tries per game. All of a sudden 1 from 5 becomes 3 from 5 and we've got a real shot at the minor premiership.

That said there's absolutely not a shred of doubt in my mind that we'll see Purtell in the 4 come Sunday.

adamkungl

Immortal
I was drinking and not paying a whole lot of attention, so it doesn't surprise me to hear Cummins was inept yet again. Worst ref in the NRL. I wouldn't pay the guy to collect my garbage let alone referee top grade sport. What a f**kwit.

That said, looked like an excellent second half by the Raiders. Why can't they start a year like this for once?

typicalfan

Coach
Thing is I don't think Purtell would be anywhere near as bad on the wing as he is in the centres, and Earl was made to look far worse than he is by having that hack "defending" (I use the term very loosely) on the inside of him. It was ridiculous thinking anything other than what eventuated would happen with those two on the edge together.

Put Gordon at centre when Coote comes back. He's shown he's easily the best defensive player in our backline. He reads the game brilliantly, tackles as well as anyone in the comp and showed tonight what he can do when he gets his hands on the ball. Stick any one of Earl, Simmons or Purtell outside him and we concede between 1 and 3 less tries per game. All of a sudden 1 from 5 becomes 3 from 5 and we've got a real shot at the minor premiership.

That said there's absolutely not a shred of doubt in my mind that we'll see Purtell in the 4 come Sunday.

And someone else said it earlier I don't see the point in having both Smith and Cooper on the bench. They are clones of each other when another prop like Puletua or even Plum would have been a bit better. That is where someone like Daine Laurie if he ever hit his straps or a Joseph Paulo would be good for some impact.

Kingston also should be playing the full 80. Iosefa hasn't really kicked on, I know he is young but he is a bit bulky and it seems to stifle his speed out of dummy half as opposed to Trav Waddell who had question marks about his size but his agility and reasonable kicking game give the Raiders a huge boost.

age.s

First Grade
And someone else said it earlier I don't see the point in having both Smith and Cooper on the bench. They are clones of each other when another prop like Puletua or even Plum would have been a bit better. That is where someone like Daine Laurie if he ever hit his straps or a Joseph Paulo would be good for some impact.

Yeah this is another problem I have. We were steamrolled by the Raiders for a good period tonight, purely because when Petero and Bell go off for Smith and Cooper our pack loses too much size.

Laurie looked really good when he came on against the Warriors a couple of weeks ago. Aggressive, offloaded well, busted tackles, slammed a few guys into the turf, the whole bit. But he was huffing on his haunches after 10 minutes or so and was subbed not long after. Hasn't played since, so I assume he's just not getting himself fit which is a shame.

Reckon we'll let Paulo go. He was poor earlier this year and he's off contract at the end of the year.

Latest posts