What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don't banks process transaction on weekends?

skeepe

Immortal
It's 2010, not 1980. Why can't I transfer money from one bank to another on a Friday and expect to see the money in my account on Saturday or even Sunday?

Surely in the age of electronic processing it should be possible to run transactions every single day of the year? Or do they turn their computers off for the weekend?

What a rort. They certainly take the money immediately.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Whilst it is an automated process, the reconciliation requires a manual look over. This is only done on weekdays.

That is if it is millions out it needs correcting immediately. With billion dollars profit could this be done, yes, but they wont, people accept this.

skeepe

Immortal
Whilst it is an automated process, the reconciliation requires a manual look over. This is only done on weekdays.

That is if it is millions out it needs correcting immediately. With billion dollars profit could this be done, yes, but they wont, people accept this.

Ridiculous. The banks are making so much money that surely they can afford to pay someone to do this on weekends as well.

I rang the bank and took them to task over this, they stated that if I wanted it done quicker I could go in to a branch. The obvious "there's no branches open on weekends" reply was met with silence.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i imagine it's cos they then hold your money for 2 days getting interest on it... but then this is just my speculating why they're merkins

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Just remember the money goes out of your account immediately, but doesn't appear in the receiver's account till Monday or Tuesday

so meanwhile they are having a party at your expense with your money

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Just remember the money goes out of your account immediately, but doesn't appear in the receiver's account till Monday or Tuesday

so meanwhile they are having a party at your expense with your money

Scorpio30

Bench
There was an article about this on the "7pm project" the other day. According to a leading bank when asked "Where does the money go on the weekend whilst in limbo?"..."Errrrr it just goes."

Apparently also according to the same article it is illegal for the bank to invest it short term whilst it is inbetween the payer and payee.