What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nostalgic Brisbane Rugby League flashback

Broncomum

Juniors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPLHa1JG-wM&NR=1

I just stumbled across this little gem; no doubt someone will tell me it's already posted somewhere here, but for those of us who may have missed it, this brings back memories!
A young coach, Wayne Bennett; a bearded debuting player called Wally Lewis; a slim looking lad called Mal Meninga and a weedy little dude called Langer; hehe. Oh and a mention of when the goal posts were cut down at Lang Park!

I remember quite well the fever pitch those grand finals took on; the lead up to them was manic to say the least!

Anyway, no 'angle' on this thread; just sharing good memories with those who may 'remember when...'
:D

As a foot note, another clip I watched had Wynnum Manly Vs Seagulls Diehards. :? I thought Wynn/Man were the Seagulls (well they are now I believe). Can someone enlighten me on this? I was busy being a new mother around this time so obviously missed what went on.
Here's the clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuMla0DxCWk&NR=1

MightyBronco

Juniors
cool vids.

Yeah im buggered if i know why Valleys Diehards are called seagulls-diehards in 1987. That was the year the mighty Brothers won. There is a cool vid on youtube of Terry Kennedy doing the sports report on the GF. Taken down maybe, cause i just had a look.

Mr Fourex

Bench
NFI why they were calling them the "Seagulls Diehards" .........?

For our NSW friends it should have read Wynnum Manly"Seagulls" Vs Fortitude Valleys "Diehards"

Nice vids.....

Brutus

Referee
I think Valleys had financial troubles and were funded by the rich (at the time) Tweed Seagulls club hence the name.

I'm pretty sure it only lasted a couple of years before they reverted back to Valleys.

Craig Davidson needs to get an idea and f**k the 'Bombers' off and replace it with the Diehards.

Broncomum

Juniors
I think Valleys had financial troubles and were funded by the rich (at the time) Tweed Seagulls club hence the name.

I'm pretty sure it only lasted a couple of years before they reverted back to Valleys.

Craig Davidson needs to get an idea and f**k the 'Bombers' off and replace it with the Diehards.

That was my thought too; it was something to do with the Seagulls at Tweed Heads.
ok, I 'wikied' them :

They were by far and away Brisbane's most successful rugby league team, having won a total of 24 premierships in their 86 seasons, including 7 of the first 11 premierships. With the introduction of the Brisbane Broncos into the New South Wales Rugby League in 1988, Valleys formed a short-lived joint venture with the Tweed Heads Seagulls playing under the name Seagulls-Diehards, winning the 1988 premiership. The joint venture broke soon after and Valleys returned to their old name.

Yeah thanks all, they were a pretty cool find; brings back a lot of memories.
:eek:

Broncomum

Juniors
nice vids. Dont know much about the old BRL due to growing up in NSW but from what ive seen it was awesome.

Seems to me that the Broncos joining the NSWRL started to kill it off.

One clip i will never grow tired of is this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkexXL88iZQ

Oh hell yes; that was a classic!
I loved watching Campbell Dews play; I have no idea why. I just did.

Funny the things we remember lol.

Just found the team lists for that Grand Final:
Teams as Programmed

Norths: Joe Kilroy, Brian Bird, Brian Dunn, Peter Dutton, Garry Warnock, Mark Murray (Capt), Ross Henrick, Neville Draper, Mark Graham, Gary Walker, Campbell Dews, Greg Conescu, Shane Bernardin (Coach : Graham Lowe)

Souths: Steve Glynn, Gary Thompson, Mal Meninga, Bruce Astill (Capt), Mick Gramm, Alan Brackin, Brad Sully, Chris Phelan, George Moroko, Ash Lumby, Geoff Naylor, Billy Johnstone, David Brown (Coach : Bob McCarthy)

Referee: Eddie Ward. Touch Judges: H. Dearness, A. Beeby.

Norths 17 (Brian Dunn, Peter Dutton, Ross Henrick tries, Garry Warnock 4 goals) d. Souths 15 (Mal Meninga, George Moroko, Billy Johnstone tries, Meninga 3 goals)

Last edited:

aarondoyle

Juniors
I think the QRL need to really market the Queensland Cup games better. If the Broncos aren't playing at home they need a campaign "Team playing away this weekend? Miss your footy. Get out at see the best Qld has to offer". Same on the coast for the Seagulls and Bears when the Titans are away.

Of course it all comes down to money, and the QRL don't exactly have a lot.

juanfarkall

Coach
re Seagulls Diehards, Valleys also played out of Caboolture a season or two later in a bid to stay afloat.

Some may not be aware that Valleys old ground is now known as Allan Border Field.

Broncomum

Juniors
I think this one is a cracker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17KS0uOjGXM

Especially with the interesting pre-game stuff and interviews etc. I love the Broncs, but I lament the fact the BRL doesn't really exist, not like it did anyway, anymore.

OMG! Wow that was fantastic to watch!
Even my cynical 20+ daughter was interested in it; so very different from today's.

I especially liked the scrum won against the feed at the end; that happened so much more back then; far more interesting to watch.

I note the 'good old ways' when the 2 earlier on were having their own little dust up; play continued; ref left them to it & no-one else interfered.
:lol:

Broncomum

Juniors
I think the QRL need to really market the Queensland Cup games better. If the Broncos aren't playing at home they need a campaign "Team playing away this weekend? Miss your footy. Get out at see the best Qld has to offer". Same on the coast for the Seagulls and Bears when the Titans are away.

I think you're right.
And if the NRL was smart they'd allow a 'mix' of one QRL match before the main NRL game. Same as down south could have one of their local games before a NRL main game.
There has to be some kind of cooperation between these bodies if they truly want to out-do all the other codes. The NRL can afford to help out the state comps in gaining the extra exposure.

juanfarkall

Coach

The QRL have substantial reserves and few expenses.

Broncomum

Juniors
Thanks, same here Mr XXXX.

LOL @ the Benny Vs Struddy saga!!!!
Fun times back then; these days the Judiciary would be sitting for days over that stuff!

Also stumbled across something I had forgotten about:
http://www.youtube.com/user/bashuppark#p/u/40/ZPYB0nY5aFc

QLD Residents/Maroons v NSW Residents/Maroons

I'm sure someone around these forums could work out who would play in those sides these days; could be interesting; more interesting than watching sooks and grubs,lol.

Last edited:

Knightmare

Coach
Mind games.......1984 style

Bennett V Strudwick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igwGEnd05V4&feature=related

:lol:

p.s

Onya Broncomum .......been watching these old games all night.

I do regret not living up this way or being old enough when the old BRL/ QRL was the #1 game up here. Having a whole town focused mostly on the Broncos isn't nearly as interesting. The best I can do these days is head down to Langlands to watch Easts, or catch Souths-Logan. Keen to catch a game at Davies Park as well.