What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin of Ray Hadley, Andrew Voss feud revealed

James Phelps
August 09, 2011 12:00AM

Ray Warren, Ray Hadley

Friends: Ray Warren (left) and Ray Hadley play golf yesterday at Castle Hill Country Club. Picture: Tracee Lea Source: The Daily Telegraph

THE feud between Ray Hadley and Channel 9 commentator Andrew Voss last night escalated as the pair revealed how they fell out 17 years ago.

Called a "moron" and a "grub" for mocking a statue of Ray Warren, Voss last night declared Hadley's attack was payback for walking out on 2UE 17 years ago.

But Hadley said he has refused to talk to Voss because Voss told him to "shove it" when he told him he'd never make it as a No. 1 caller.

"The reason I haven't spoken to him is that he came to my house and asked me for my opinion," Hadley said.

"I told him he was a very good No. 2 (commentator) but that I didn't view him as a No. 1. I told him he would be a No. 2 for a long time. He got up and said 'shove it'. I wasn't angry that he left the station but angry because he asked for advice but didn't like my opinion.

"All these years later I am right because he is still No. 2."

Pouring petrol on what was just a simmering feud, Voss said Hadley became a powerful enemy because he quit 2UE to begin a career in television.

"I can remember handing in my resignation and he just walked off," Voss said.

"And we haven't spoken a word since. Nothing. We were very close and that is why it was so tough. He gave me my start."

Publicly forced to defend himself after questioning the likeness of a statue of Warren - erected in Junee as a tribute to the legendary rugby league caller - Voss quit his job working alongside Hadley as a rugby league caller for 2UE in 1994. He claims Sunday's attack was payback.

"I felt privileged when I worked with Ray on the Continuous Call team," Voss said.

"I thought the world of that job and that was all I ever wanted to do. I grew up admiring people like Ray Warren and Frank Hyde. I thought it was the best job in the world but when the offer came from Gary Burns to work at 9, it was too good refuse. It was a very tough decision."

Voss suspects Hadley viewed him as a traitor.

"I knew Ray was terribly disappointed when I left simply because of the way he reacted when I handed in my resignation," Voss said.

"It was a decision I struggled with for four weeks. It was tough because I love my job but it was too big an opportunity to pass up. When I resigned I had no idea that I would still be paying for it 17 years on."

Hadley was the brains behind the statue of Warren, which was unveiled in the commentator's home town of Junee last week.

Playing golf with good friend Hadley yesterday, Warren refused to buy into the fight.

"I don't mind what people think the statue looks like," Warren said. "A lot of thought and effort went into it and it doesn't matter what it looks like. I am just grateful for what it means to me and my family. It was a lovely day."

Voss' superiors at Channel 9 are far from happy with his remarks but the network feels a public slap over the wrist is punishment enough.

Channel 9 boss David Gyngell supported the statue and was at the opening with Hadley.

Despite the scathing attack, Voss said he still respected his former mentor Hadley. "Like all the great commentators, he is someone I respect," Voss said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226111229953

Southernsaint

Staff member
How is this even news??

Seriously, these stupid personal vendettas aired in the media really do make League look very provincial and bush-league.

Whatever.............Hadley has fueds with so many people for similar reasons. Hadley just has an inflated opinion of himself.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Note to Voss, Hadley et al: You are employed to present the game to us. Not to become a news story yourself. A sort of spin on the old 'seen and not heard' scenario - but 'seen, heard, and both not too loudly'.

Same as Steve Williams. Carry the bag, shutup.

whall15

Coach
Hadley, I'm pretty sure being number 2 tv commentator (and probably number 1 next year) is a better job than being a commentator on redneck radio.

Brutus

Referee
Voss may be a No. 2 caller, but he also hosts his own show on television which something poor old Ray would like to do no doubt.

Voss is a far better TV talent than Hadley. Hadley looks very awkward on TV.

It was obviously OK for Ray to leave 2UE when the time came, but it wasn't ok for the likes of John Gibbs, Voss and even Brohman, who Ray vilified in a nasty way for several years following.

The hide of the bloke.

Last edited:

Flapper

First Grade
Voss may be a No. 2 caller, but he also hosts his own show on television which something poor old Ray would like to do no doubt.

Voss is a far better TV talent than Hadley. Hadley looks very awkward on TV.

It was obviously OK for Ray to leave 2UE when the time came, but it wasn't ok for the likes of John Gibbs, Voss and even Brohman, who Ray vilified in a nasty way for several years following.

The hide of the bloke.

Not to defend the bloke, but I'm pretty sure 2UE sacked him.

I'm feeling quite sorry for Voss now, having heard both offending pieces of audio. Hadley's taken it far too personally and make an even bigger dick of himself than normal.

The fact this and Rothfield petulant harassing of "Phillip Ronald Gould" are big news items in the DT sports section is frankly embarassing for Rugby League.

gronkathon

First Grade
I assumed Voss must have been 1/16th non white and thats why Hadley hates him.

The only thing this entire crapshoot has hinted at is how far Bob Hardley lives up the Gynges back passage.

Besides Rabs is just a drunk with a gambling problem

Latest posts