What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints jumper 1929

chelseabree

Juniors
I'm a Souths supporter but I have a mate who is a Saints supporter. I mentioned that I had a picture of a jumper that was different than the 'blood and bandages' jumper and the 1960s type with the large red stripe and he said that he never seen it before and would like to so I thought I might put up a picture of it here. Hope you like it ( not the score).

IMG_0003-50.jpg

IMG_0004-40.jpg

RedVee

First Grade
I was aware of the jersey, but thanks for putting the newsclippings up.
Cheers

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Tremendous old clippings Chelseabree. Thanks very much.

The thinner styled Red V was used in the late 1920s up until at least 1930. If your friend wants to see more about the old Red V jersey and history, direct him/her here: http://www.jubileeavenue.com.au/history/index.php

Can I ask if you have anymore of these clippings from the 1920s-1930s era?

chelseabree

Juniors
Yeah heaps from the late 1920s of course based around Souths but naturally involving Saints- some great ones around 1927 when Saints were the biggest threat to Souths.
Seeing you were interested here are some from RUGBY LEAGUE NEWS

complexsentences2_0003.jpg

complexsentences2_0004.jpg

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks again chelseabree, and very interested. Please feel free to keep them coming.

A great old shot of the halfback clearing the ruck, it was in the days when the play-the-ball rule was still new and scrums were much more common.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The rapier beat the battle-axe!

From a time when writers knew how to wax lyrical while actually reporting on the game. And in such detail too, some of it makes you feel like you're there. Mr Claude Corbett could teach the current crop a thing or two.

Thanks again chelseabree. Do you have anything from 1931? I'm trying to work out the years when the slimline Red V was in use. I imagined that it was for three seasons, from 1928-1930.

chelseabree

Juniors
Alas...no I don't have a lot from 1931. I have the semi between Souths and Saints but there is no picture. I have one from 1932. Is this any use to you? Reminds me of a funny story ( you might not find it so funny) that once when Saints were playing with this jumper and the team sat on a a tiered bench to get a team photo on a very wet and muddy day. All the public watching remarked on how good the team looked with the uniforms and then suddenly the bench collapsed and the team all fell in the mud. This came from THE TRUTH.

complexsentences2_0009.jpg

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Alas...no I don't have a lot from 1931. I have the semi between Souths and Saints but there is no picture. I have one from 1932. Is this any use to you?
Absolutely. It shows that the slim Red V was still being used in 1932.
chelseabree said:
Reminds me of a funny story ( you might not find it so funny) that once when Saints were playing with this jumper and the team sat on a a tiered bench to get a team photo on a very wet and muddy day. All the public watching remarked on how good the team looked with the uniforms and then suddenly the bench collapsed and the team all fell in the mud. This came from THE TRUTH.
I love anecdotes like that.

How big is your collection chelsea? Can we meet?

STG-MACCA

Bench
League Unlimited ----->>>>> Match.com

lol, awesome clippings, a very good read. Thanks for sharing.
I still have plenty to do regarding sharing my collection, one day I will get to it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It's a great thread Macca, the more the merrier.

Anyone who thought they weren't interested in the history should read every word of these articles. They were written before TV and the internet, and by writers who were trying to bring the game into the reader's lap.

Some of the players being mentioned were household names in their day: Benny Wearing from Souths, plus Snowy Justice, Jockey Kelly, Frank Gardner, Harry Kadwell and Frank Meighan for Saints.

To ignore and forget the greats of the past means that we are destined to forget the greats of today.

chelseabree

Juniors
Ah well if you are interested we could meet sometime. I come from Terrigal on the Central Coast. I have a big collection - virtually all around South Sydney of course but naturally there is a lot of stuff around other clubs. If you enjoy reading it here is the rest of the original Corbett article.

complexsentences2_0005.jpg

chelseabree

Juniors
Now compare Corbett's style of writing with CJ Davis 'The Cynic'from THE REFEREE the other great writer from the 1920s

IMG_0005-33.jpg

complexsentences2_0001.jpg

complexsentences2_0002.jpg

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'm on the Gold Coast Chelseabree. If you're ever up this way, let me know. Not sure when I'll next be on the Central Coast, but I'll try and find a way down next year perhaps.

RedVee

First Grade
Hey Chelsea, do you have any clippings where we win a game? :D

thanks for those clippings.

chelseabree

Juniors
LOL yes I do and will put some up for you soon. Here is an article of interest from 1928..and tell me do you have the history of the St.George club written in 1934 in the League yearbook. There was a Yearbook written in 1927 with limited club info- although a Saints player was on the front but the next (?) on e from 1943 had club histories written about each of the clubs.

Inferences3_0004.jpg

Willow

Assistant Moderator
..and tell me do you have the history of the St.George club written in 1934 in the League yearbook.
I don't have that. Although there has been records kept and info written about the years 1921-1934; that's the first grade history. The actual history of Rugby League in St George goes back to the formation of the NSWRL in 1907/08. A St George RLFC was formed in 1908 but they didn't get off the ground. A third grade team was later formed in 1910.

Was there anything in particular you were looking for?