What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 nations game 7 - 4 nations final - ENG V AUS

roughyedspud

Coach
DISCUSS......

on the team front, stay as is for england, i'd drop heighington cos he's crap,put jon wilkin to 13,bring ellis back to 11 alongside westwood

bench - widdop,morley,carvell & JJB

Last edited:
England can win this game. I'm sure of it, just need an experienced ref probably Thierry Alibert not these inexperienced Australian refs who are used to having two on at the same time.

hutch

First Grade
DISCUSS......

on the team front, say as is for england, i'd drop heighington cos he's crap,put jon wilkin to 13,bring ellis back to 11 alongside westwood

bench - widdop,morley,carvell & JJB

Heighington is far from crap, he has been solid without being spectacular this series. I was impressed with carvell, he could put a dent into the smaller Aussies pack!

Sam H

Juniors
Carvell did a couple of dopey things against NZ too though, that ridiculous flick pass coming out of England's end could have change the whole game had NZ got over on the next set.

If Ellis is back surely McNamara will just revert to the team from the first game against the Kangaroos. The continuity must be helping by now. In the past England have done way too much chopping and changing - from memory they were even dicking around with their halves combo before the Trinations final in 2004.

There are still a few liabilities IMO but to this point everyone out there has done a job for them, including Heighington. Going through the whole tournament with the same team will be a big bonus up against an Aussie side which has had a few issues with injury.

roughyedspud

Coach
Heighington is far from crap, he has been solid without being spectacular this series. I was impressed with carvell, he could put a dent into the smaller Aussies pack!

its been said a dozen times in the last couple of week...if heighington was english he's be no where near the england team

and i'd have picked carvell at wembley...we need a big bopper of the bench against australia

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
As is i guess except Ellis in if hes fit. Widdop has to play a bigger role earlier in the game.

England by 2

hutch

First Grade
its been said a dozen times in the last couple of week...if heighington was england he's be no where near the england team

Even if that was true, it doesn't mean he is crap as you say. The only English players who are better than heighington at lock are sinfield and possibly o'loughlin who is injured.

westie

Bench
CH is a special for getting tired and not getting back in the defensive line, pushing up or turning around after the opposition kick. I wouldn't have him, but Mac surely won't get rid of him.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
its been said a dozen times in the last couple of week...if heighington was english he's be no where near the england team

and i'd have picked carvell at wembley...we need a big bopper of the bench against australia

This. Was speaking to my mate the other day and we were talking about the commentators, they seem genuinely scared of Australia.

They could have snagged a few wins over the last few years if they held their nerve.

Scubby

Juniors

I agree. Carvell made a lot of strong carries when he came on. There was a brain fart or two but I would put that down to not playing for a while. He needs to be on the bench.

I don't think SM will drop Heighington (although I think he hasn't really shone and should miss out). So it looks like it is Wilkin or JJB for the chop which is harsh because both showed up very well on Sat. No biff from the bench though could be a disastrous decision.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I have been watching league for nearly 40 Years

& in this time I have never seen the English win anything in our game , wether it be an ashes series , world cup .. 3 or 4 nations tournament

I think this is their best chance in front of an Elland road that will be packed to the rafters
wether they do this time or not ... remains to be seen of course.
They are going to have to play out of their skins with all 17 putting in the performance of their lives , because anything less then this & they will go away empty handed again like they have every time for the last 4 & a half decades.
England have been good , but good won't do it in the final
they'll need to be great , its about the 40th farewell for Lockyer this year on Sat ... the Australian team will desperately want to send their lengendary captain out of football holding another trophy over his head & not go down in History as the Captain of the side that England broke the drought against , & for him to be this guy , will require the best performnace from an English / GB Rugby League team for more then 40 years

will be a spine tingling final
can't wait

Steve Davy

Juniors
Thank you, Sam.

It is building up to being an interesting game. We have the old Champions coming against a team that are very different to previous England teams, they have flair and youthful confidence and have shown they can hurt Australia.

With an impartial ref and a home crowd, this could go either way.

Except, it won't. It is England vs Australia, remember. Australia are going to dick us.

Jason Maher

Immortal
I won't be watching this live. No way are channel 9 getting the attention of my eyeballs after their farcical non-showing this morning. I'll watch the Fox replay at a time more preferable to myself.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Same team 1-7 with Ellis back in the pack. Carvell in for Wilkin possibly. Whatever happens, England for the win. Come on you Pommy twats!

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Got England at $6 with Betfair. Good odds IMO - worth a tenner!

Hope and expect a competitive game, but Australia still likely to take it. I don't buy into this nonsense that England have to win for the good of their game. Rugby league has been played since 1895 and i expect it'll continue to be played for many years to come. ESL is a great product.

Latest posts