What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beer Thread

Had a look through the FFB, and couldn't find a specific beer thread, so thought I would start one! Something in a similar vein to the Wine Thread.

Heaps of beers on the market now, every man and his dog seems to be bringing out a beer. So why not find out what's hot and what's not. So here are a few I've had recently:

- 28 Pale Ale (Burleigh Brewery): Real old fashioned Pale Ale, and brilliant. Nutty + fruity without being sweet, and good hop finish.

- 4 Pines Pale Ale: Run of the mill Pale Ale, not much to get excited about (and they're from Manly, so they're probably wankers too)

- La Trappe Quadrupel: Dutch Trappist beer, and at 10% ABV it will put some lead in your pencil. But overall an excellent beer, fruity and slightly sweet.

- Tui Blond: Not a world beater, but if your after a session beer around the BBQ, will work a treat.

- Williams Premium Lager: Had high expectations, and was let down big time. Pretty bland and flat tasting.

So, what else has everyone had recently and recommend to try or avoid?

smallchang.jpg

Last edited:

dogslife

Coach
About time we had a beer appreciation thread. 28 Pale Ale is a good drop, tastes great off tap. Stone and Wood from Byron is quite refreshing as well

simmo1

First Grade
Keep your fancy, shite tasting beers. I like beer that tastes like beer. VB, Coopers, New, Draught etc.

thorson1987

Coach
Keep your fancy, shite tasting beers. I like beer that tastes like beer. VB, Coopers, New, Draught etc.

Doesnt taste like beer. Taste like piss.

My faves are

- Tooheys New
- Extra Dry
- White Stag
- Corona (with a slice of lemon, nothing else)
- Stella

and i might have the occasional Draught.

dogslife

Coach
You blokes don't know how good you've got it. Up in QLD all of the VB, and any Carlton products are brewed at the Yatala brewery, and if you dislike them down there, you're in for a rude awakening should you ever venture north of the border

Red Bear

Referee
Coopers Pale, the various James Squire beers, Monteiths are my general beers of choice. Monteiths summer ale is very good.

Tooheys old off tap is good

dogslife

Coach
Boags Premium is probably my favourite local. Imported I tend to go with anything German or Czech

Bazal

Post Whore
I always feel sorry for people who think VB et al is beer. Stuff should be labelled imitation or something. Not that I won't drink it on occasion but beer it ain't!

Got some Bridge Road Brewers Pale Ale waiting at home. Cannot wait after a tough day.

My regular go to beers.

XXXX Summer Lager
Pure Blonde
Hahn Super Dry

Other worthy mentions are:

Heineken
Budweiser
Coopers Pale Ale
Tooheys New
Coronas
Stellas

natheel

Coach
I'm thinking about doing a home brew...But need some tips from anyone who has done it

Any help?

I'm thinking about doing a home brew...But need some tips from anyone who has done it

Any help?

Trial and error mate. But stick to the measurements as much as possible or else you will have a lot of exploding bottles that will scare the shit out of you in the middle of the night.

My go-to beer back home in Sydney is Kent Old Brown followed by Reschs Pilsener. Up here, it's probably either Big Head (another Burleigh Brewery product), Coopers Pale Ale, or Hahn Super Dry.

Bazal

Post Whore
In terms of go to beers (at the moment anyway, I find it changes), I will always have a six pack or so of one of these lying around;

Boags Premium
Little Creatures Bright or Pale Ale
Pilsner Urquell (my favourite all round beer)
Budvar
Squires 150 Lashes, Golden, or Pilsner
Fat Yak

Bazal

Post Whore
My go-to beer back home in Sydney is Kent Old Brown followed by Reschs Pilsener. Up here, it's probably either Big Head (another Burleigh Brewery product), Coopers Pale Ale, or Hahn Super Dry.

Reschs is the best tap beer at most pubs I find. When you walk in and see VB, New, Carlton etc, then Reschs is definitely the go to beer!

Latest posts