What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal thread \m/

adamkungl

Immortal
Doesn't look like we have one... (there was one in the FFB ages ago)

To kick things off

favourite bands?
Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Dream Theater, Judas Priest

favourite genre/styles?
Trash and traditional heavy metal. Also like death, power, prog, black...all good.

can't stand...
Deathcore/grindcore, etc... I hate to be one of those people...but dead set bands like Suicide Silence just sound like noise to me. I don't get it.

how did you get into metal?

Guitar Hero :lol: Didn't really listen to music before that... radio/popular music never really hooked me. Then i heard shit like Bark at the Moon, Cowboys From Hell, Hangar 18, One...awesome

upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
Other than Soundwave... Iced Earth in April.

recommend a band/album!
Primal Fear - 16.6
Judas Priesting better than Judas Priest.

Mong

Post Whore
favourite bands?
Metallica, Devil Driver, Fear Factory, Machine Head, System, Tool, Mastodon

favourite genre/styles?
Thrash and traditional heavy metal.

can't stand...
Don't really have any

First week in grade 8 i was given a cassette to listen to which was Ride the lightening and as soon as i heard trapped under ice and creeping death i was hooked

None at all for a while at the moment unfortunately.

recommend a band/album!

Can't go wrong with Mastodon's Blood Mountain

gUt

Coach
favourite bands?
Meshuggah, Faith No More, Primus, Pantera, Mastodon

favourite genre/styles?
Don't really know about all these "styles" these days but I'll have a go and say math-metal, alternative metal, thrash

can't stand...
Seems to me that a lot of bands sound the same these days, thinking of the 36 Crazyfists sound. I probably don't know enough about it but while they are obviously technically very good it seems to me that so many popular metal bands could swap songs between them and we'd never know.

But my real hate is nu-metal as exemplified by Korn, Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit. Posing, awful, pointless.

Was always into the Beatles and Led Zeppelin as a kid, then as a teenager a friend introduced me to Metallica and (strangely) GWAR. From there it was into Pantera and RATM.

Soundwave

recommend a band/album!
Nothing - Meshuggah
Sailing the Seas of Cheese - Primus
Angel Dust - Faith No More
America Must Be Destroyed - GWAR
Far Beyond Driven - Pantera

adamkungl

Immortal
ha, Ride the Lightning was pretty much the first album I downlo - I mean bought :p Still my favourite album years later

Mong

Post Whore
ha, Ride the Lightning was pretty much the first album I downlo - I mean bought :p Still my favourite album years later

Couldn't download in those days.. The old commodore 64 would not have handled it well :lol:

redvscotty

First Grade
favourite bands?
That I would listen to regularly? Municipal Waste, Deftones, Pantera, Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer.
I go through phases though so I like a whole range of different shit depending on when you ask.

favourite genre/styles?
Used to love Nu Metal, I was 16 - 18 and it was big, so shoot me. Stuff like Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Mudvayne, Drowning Pool. Was the shit. Now, pretty much anything thrash and whatever you would call Emmure, they have some ripper songs (some shit ones too though).

can't stand...
The fact that so many bands these days are hit and miss. You buy a CD and its got maybe 5 or 6 songs out of 10 or 12 that are any good.

Was a fan of Ska and Punk (from street to skate to skacore to whatever) and gradually moved across, probably because of the gigs you would goto where punk bands would play with metal bands.

Coal Chamber at Eatons Hill Hotel, too bad I have to see Marylin Manson as well. The week after In Flames and Black Dahlia Murder are playing too, which should be sweet.

recommend a band/album!
If you haven't got it already - Municipal Waste - Hazardous Mutation
Anything by Austrian Death Machine (the early stuff is better IMO) - As I Lay Dying who wrote songs around Arnies movies and life - The singer sings as if he is Arnie.
Deftones - White Pony (favorite CD ever - Can still listen to multiple times a day if I wanted to).

adamkungl

Immortal
Haha, 2006 however... :lol:

It's pretty amazing how many 18 year olds go to 80s metal gigs, I was watching the Maiden 666 doco the other day and they're constantly surprised at how many young people are fans.

Good music is timeless

HevyDevy

Coach
Okay I'll play:

To kick things off

favourite bands?
Devin Townsend, Opeth, Immortal, November's Doom, Emperor, Bloodbath, early In Flames etc

favourite genre/styles?
Norwegian black metal, melodic death, doom death

can't stand...
Hardcore, metalcore etc etc. A couple of bands are half decent but most are dull and sound identical.

Started with AC/DC and worked my way up.

Soundwave etc

recommend a band/album!
Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
Opeth - Morningrise

melon....

Coach
favourite bands?
Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Metallica, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, DIO, Rainbow, Anthrax, Kreator, Dream Theatre.

favourite genre/styles?
Hard Rock. Heavy Rock. Stuff that influenced today's Metal scene. Progressive.

can't stand...
Marilyn Manson - may as well listen to soft c**k school yard bogun stuff like Blink and Good Charlotte. Absolute Crap.

Learning guitar and listening to gods like Iommi, Young, Hendrix, Van Halen and Blackmore. Got me listening to bands they listened to. DIO, Rainbow, Zepplin etc.
Played in a band for a few years in my twenties (blues/rock) but toured with some metal bands and got to listen to and appreciate some of their stuff.

Iron Maiden - when they come back again. And the upcoming Zeppelin tour ;-)

recommend a band/album!
Any and all Led Zep
Any and All ACDC
Ride the Lightning - Metallica
And Justice for All - Metallica
Rising - Rainbow
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath
Overkill - Motorhead

adamkungl

Immortal
Rainbow - Kill the King is an excellent song...just throwing that out there. I shall listen to more Rainbow if this is any indication

woodyk2

First Grade
favourite bands?
Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Metallica, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, DIO, Rainbow, Anthrax, Kreator, Dream Theatre.

favourite genre/styles?
Hard Rock. Heavy Rock. Stuff that influenced today's Metal scene. Progressive.

can't stand...
Marilyn Manson - may as well listen to soft c**k school yard bogun stuff like Blink and Good Charlotte. Absolute Crap.

Learning guitar and listening to gods like Iommi, Young, Hendrix, Van Halen and Blackmore. Got me listening to bands they listened to. DIO, Rainbow, Zepplin etc.
Played in a band for a few years in my twenties (blues/rock) but toured with some metal bands and got to listen to and appreciate some of their stuff.

Iron Maiden - when they come back again. And the upcoming Zeppelin tour ;-)

recommend a band/album!
Any and all Led Zep
Any and All ACDC
Ride the Lightning - Metallica
And Justice for All - Metallica
Rising - Rainbow
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath
Overkill - Motorhead
Melon....thats freaky. I dont really have to do the whole thing you did it for me.:shock:

Zigwaa

Bench
Some good taste in here, i'll have a go.

favourite bands?
Metallica, Fear Factory, Parkway Drive, Machine Head, Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, Slipknot, Pantera, Bring Me the Horizon, Asking Alexandria, The Amity Affflication, A Day to Remember, Sepultura

favourite genre/styles?
Traditional heavy metal and metalcore. I love it when the double kicks of the bass drum replicate the strumming of the guitar like Fear Factory, and more recently Asking Alexandria.

can't stand...
Black metal

I like Nirvana than go into Metallica then heavier. I remember first time I heard Sepultura "Refuse/Resist" at the start of a 'Manga' movie i was blown away.

Going to miss BDO and soundwave which I'm devo about. Hopefully there are some good headline tours post march.

recommend a band/album!
Fear Factory - Demanufacture (an all time favourite)
Asking Alexandria - Stand up and Scream (really into this at the moment)
Parkway Drive - Horizons (up there with best albums of all time for me)
Opeth - Still Life (so diverse from acoustic to heavy as hell death, musical geniuses)

I'll add in another question
Favourite Aussie metal bands/Albums
Parkway Drive - all of them, The Amity Affliction "Young bloods", Segression - Fifth of the Fifth, Cryogenic - Suspended Animation, Henry's Anger - Personality Test, Superheist - The Prize Recruit

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

To kick things off

favourite bands?
Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Dream Theater, Judas Priest

favourite genre/styles?
Trash and traditional heavy metal. Also like death, power, prog, black...all good.

can't stand...
Deathcore/grindcore, etc... I hate to be one of those people...but dead set bands like Suicide Silence just sound like noise to me. I don't get it.

Guitar Hero :lol: Didn't really listen to music before that... radio/popular music never really hooked me. Then i heard shit like Bark at the Moon, Cowboys From Hell, Hangar 18, One...awesome

Other than Soundwave... Iced Earth in April.

recommend a band/album!
Primal Fear - 16.6
Judas Priesting better than Judas Priest.

we had one years ago and it turned into a shit fight

adamkungl

Immortal
we had one years ago and it turned into a shit fight

Only a matter of time? :sarcasm:

Tbh some of the metal fans you come across on the internet are some of the biggest wankers out. Or maybe that's just standard youtube :lol:

Mong

Post Whore
Only a matter of time? :sarcasm:

Tbh some of the metal fans you come across on the internet are some of the biggest wankers out. Or maybe that's just standard youtube :lol:

It's always a down side of going to metal gigs.. Wankers everywhere. It's a pity that the genre attracts a certain type of person in such large numbers.

Latest posts