What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Travel Thread

Misanthrope

Staff member
I know, it's exciting to see me again. Try to control yourselves.

I'm about to embark on a new travel adventure and thought it'd be fun to chat about other people's travels. We can share travel experiences, discuss travel plans, post photos, discuss ideas etc.

Me? I'm headed to China later this month to join Titanic and the boys teaching in Nanjing. Very excited to get back out again. I've been on Australian shores since I got back from Korea last May.

Prior to that I did a three week tour of Fiji and New Zealand. Previous trips have taken me to Japan (f**kuoka), China (Hainan), and a six week tour of the Pacific North West (+Vegas) in the US.

Anybody else got any exciting travel plans for 2012?

Mateo Moi Moi

Juniors
My travel plans for 2012 - Flying out to Rome for a few days before jumping on a cruise ship. A couple of weeks on it exploring stops in and around Italy, Greece and Turkey.

If anyone has any advice or stories on this part of the world, I would very much love to hear it.

Apey

Staff member
I've only briefly been to NZ but would love to see more in the next few years.

Do you finance all your trips by finding work overseas or how much are some of these trips setting you back?

HowHigh

Coach
Never been overseas, never even been on a plane :(

Looking at going to USA for a month bit later this year though

Misanthrope

Staff member
Do you finance all your trips by finding work overseas or how much are some of these trips setting you back?

I taught English for two years in South Korea. My trips to China and Japan were week long stints out of Korea, and I funded my six weeks in the US with the money I made there.

Fiji and New Zealand were both trips I made from Australia with money I made working a regular job here.

China is going to be more teaching, but with my site growing pretty rapidly (brought in $600 this week), I'm hoping to someday by modestly self sufficient on it so I can focus entirely on travel and writing.

Monk

Referee
first off, good to see you around this part of the forum Bushy :ls:

Only been overseas twice, once to Bali with the family, the other on a cruise to New Caledonia, also with the family.

So far this year i've been up the coast with mates, but that's it really.

Skinner

Coach
Jaysus Bushy, will you ever settle down with one of your many love interests ???? It's great though to see you back on here again. Good luck with China.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Might go and visit my Mum + Dad in Thailand (they live in Bangkok). Depends on whether I get this new job or not.

South East Asia is at the very top of my travel priorities. I'm hoping to do my January vacation there next year.

first off, good to see you around this part of the forum Bushy :ls:

Aw shucks! It's good to be back! I have so much downtime at work, it's criminal I didn't come back earlier.

So far this year i've been up the coast with mates, but that's it really.

Had a great road trip up to Tea Gardens (Dutchy's back yard) midway through last year. Hoping to make one more trek up before I jet out.

Jaysus Bushy, will you ever settle down with one of your many love interests ???? It's great though to see you back on here again. Good luck with China.

I tried that :lol: The American gal and I lasted two years; we did a break-up tour through NZ and Fiji; and then I went back to Korea and met another American. She didn't last and I've been flying solo ever since.

My mother is desperate for me to marry a Chinese girl, but she's destined for disappointment.

South East Asia is at the very top of my travel priorities. I'm hoping to do my January vacation there next year.

SE Asia is brilliant. I've been to Vietnam, Malaysia (folks used to live in Kuala Lumpur), and Singapore and they are all wonderful places to visit. Thailand, Hong Kong, and the Phillipines are next on my list.

One place I won't go to is Bali because if I wanted to see a bunch of pissed Aussies running around in Bintang singlets acting like tossers, I'd go to Surfers Paradise.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I like to avoid Australians when I travel. Sadly, a lot of us tend to become douchebags when we're on the road. Met some absolute assholes in Fiji and NZ.

IanG

Coach
Last year's footy trip was my first overseas trip.

Had a blast even though the Warriors beat the Knights.

Would love to go to an Ashes Test at Lords then go to the George Hotel in Huddersfield

Knightmare

Coach
Going to the UK in less than a month. Watching Liverpool play Stoke City and Wigan at Anfield, as well as against the Toon at St James' Park. Spending a few days in Paris too. It's been almost 10 years since I went overseas, I never want that to be the case again!

Jono078

Referee
What a perfect thread!

This is all that's been on my mind since I went to Canada last June to enjoy their whole Summer.

Recently signed up in a Tourism course also, hoping for that to take me some places in the future.

And most definitely planning on doing a holiday again this year. Probably spending Christmas and NYE in another country, should be fun and super excited about it :)

Love your blog btw CWB, great stuff!

Raider_69

Post Whore
me and my fiancee are heading to Germany and France in sep.

2 weeks in germany, we're looking at doing frankfurt, heidelburg and then the black forrest, then through barvaria, romantic road, then spending a few days in berlin were we'll do some day tours out to dresden and some other areas around there. We might duck over to Salzburg for a day or two if we can sqeeze it in
we are considering the rhine valley, not sure, you cant do it all in 2 weeks im afraid

then 2 weeks in france, first week we'll be heading around the south a good day in monte carlo and then deep south for all the sights and tastes... wine and cheese... up toward paris, we're spending a week in paris as our final week. The france half of the trip is still a working progress

then in November we are getting married at st regis hotel in tahiti. Spending about 10 days there in an over water villa, which will be all about relaxing. Post the wedding day, it will very easy going week. Swimming, drinking, couples massages, maybe some water skiing, jet skiing. But mostly lazing around drinking.

Itching for it. Got my passport today actually, have never traveled prior

Red Bear

Referee
Been to NZ 5+ times, got family there and also been on a couple of snow trips with mates (last one ended in a dislocated AC joint).

Been to England/France/NYC on a month holiday with parents about 7 years back.

Having some sort of employment again leaves me hoping for europe at some point in a year. Finish Uni end of this year as well so have travel time available.

bartman

Immortal
China is going to be more teaching, but with my site growing pretty rapidly (brought in $600 this week), I'm hoping to someday by modestly self sufficient on it so I can focus entirely on travel and writing.
What type of website earns you this type of cash Mis? I can't think of anything other than... :sarcasm:

No travel plans for me for 2012/near future.... Have spent four years working in England a while back and traveled a bit in Europe, and have also done trips to Malaysia/Singapore, Japan and New Zealand, so can't complain - good times :).

Danish

Referee
Been to NZ a few times, Japan, hong kong, china, Thailand, the US, Mexico, Hawaii and the pacific islands (Vanuatu, Fiji and New Caledonia).

Got a month trip planned to the states this year. Flying to San Fran, driving through Yosemite and death valley to Vegas, then flying to the east coast for a week in NY, drive to Boston and Washington, then back to LA for a couple days at the end.

2013 we plan to go on a 4 week trip to Europe with an Ashes test in there, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, etc.

2014 we are going to the world cup in brazil, followed by travelling around south America. Have a mate married to a Brazilian girl so should be able to do that fairly cheaply.

The wife and I fund it by essentially living modestly for the rest of the year and most importantly NOT having any kids :lol:

Once those trips are done it will probably be time to start a family... Although I would love to save up big and take a trip to antarctica