What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'12 | R1 | Thu | Knights 14-15 Dragons* | Hunter

Round 1 result: Knights v Dragons

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

2012teams-new-her.jpg

1. Darius Boyd 2. James McManus 3. Wes Naiqama 4. Timana Tahu 5. Akuila Uate 6. Kurt Gidley 7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Kade Snowden 9. Danny Buderus 10. Adam Cuthbertson 11. Chris Houston 12. Zeb Taia 13. Neville Costigan

Interchange: 14. Matt Hilder 15. Richie Fa’aoso 16. Joel Edwards 17. Alex McKinnon

2012teams-sti-main.jpg

1. Kyle Stanley 2. Brett Morris 3. Beau Scott 4. Matt Cooper 5. Jason Nightingale 6. Jamie Soward 7. Ben Hornby (c)
8. Jeremy Latimore 9. Mitch Rein 10. Michael Weyman 11. Matt Prior 12. Ben Creagh 13. Dean Young

Interchange: 14. Nathan Fien 15. Leeson Ah Mau 16. Trent Merrin 17. Jack De Belin

2012ref-pink.jpg

Referees
Matt Cecchin and Ashley Klein
Sideline Officials: Paul Holland and Ricky MacFarlane
Video Referee: Russell Smith

Related matches
Toyota Cup R1 - Knights v Dragons @ Hunter Stadium, Thu 5:15pm
NSW Cup R1 - Vulcans (WAR) v Knights (NEW) @ Mt Smart, Sat 1:00pm
NSW Cup R1 - Cutters (STI) v Sharks (CRO/MEL) @ WIN Stadium, Sat 3:00pm

nrl12-r1newsti.jpg

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
Should be one of, if not, the best season openers in recent memory. Will have everything - packed stadium, origin like atmosphere, two quality sides and the Wayne Bennett factor.

I feel both sides are under a fair bit of pressure to start the season well but neither side will be too adversely affected losing in what should be a real close battle between two sides who'll probably have the games best rivalry over the next few seasons. Newcastle have a whole heap of expectations for obvious reasons but the Dragons also have a lot to prove post Bennett.

I'll tip Knights by 6

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
Heading up with a few mates for this, can't wait. Hopefully the Dragons continue their dominance over Newcastle in Newcastle.

Hutty1986

Immortal
One of the most hyped-up season openers in a while, massive test for Saints first up against a side that has obviously recruited extremely well. Hopefully Newie will be feeling the pressure as competition favourites! Dragons by 8 with a late try in a terrific game of footy

Saints fan

Juniors
Should be an absolute belter. As the other posters have mentioned, the Bennett factor ads a lot of interest, as does Boyd.

I will be interested to see how our backline goes with (presumably) Vidot and Stanley in the mix instead of Gaz and Boyd. Expecting Matt Cooper to have a big influence on how we go this season too.

Us by one, with Jamie Soward to kick the first field goal this year.

dragondad

First Grade
Thursday night should damage the amount of away support, but there'll still be plenty. Got my GA tickets with my brother into the Dragon Army.

woodyk2

First Grade
Going the Dragons. Live in newy and everytime they talk it up they fail. Dragons by 14.

_Johnsy

Referee
Could well be the best season opener.

Will be an absolute cracker & won't be more than 6 points in it.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Going the Dragons. Live in newy and everytime they talk it up they fail. Dragons by 14.
Strangely enough you're not too far off the mark re: Knights in big "hyped up" games. Mind you, I dare say things might be a bit different now - never underestimate the "Bennett Factor".

Absolutely shattered I can't make the game though, but will be at Narrabri Bowling Club with (by the sounds of it) a fair few Knights fans!

Knights by 7.

I think the knights may lose this one. I think it will take a few rounds until we start to hit our straps. Should be a cracker of a game.

perverse

Referee
i am so f**king looking forward to seeing that team develop. there is danger right across the park. we won't be playing anywhere near our best football in round 1 (and to be fair, no team will). as Chicken Hunter said, it may take a while for it all to function correctly. i still think we can have any teams measure, even in our infancy. i expect a close game. i think we can shake the Dragons at home monkey off our back this time.

excited.

Hutty1986

Immortal

RABK

Referee
That Knights side could draw at least 7 angry facebook status updates out of hutty over the 80 minutes.

Jason Maher

Immortal
With 6 ex-Dragons, you'd expect it to be a strong team... ;-)

My guess at our team:

1. Kyle Stanley
2. Brett Morris
3. Chase Stanley
4. Matt Cooper
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Jamie Soward
7. Ben Hornby (c)
8. Trent Merrin
9. Mitch Rein
10. Michael Weyman
11. Beau Scott
12. Ben Creagh
13. Matt Prior

14. Cameron King
15. Dean Young
16. Jeremy Latimore
17. Jack De Belin

Dan Hunt is out injured.

The questions are who will partner Matt Cooper in the centres, who will play lock, whether Nathan Fien will get a run (I suspect not), and which of our truckload of forward back ups will get a bench run.

Last edited: