What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Round two :: Dragons v Rabbitohs

joshie

Live Update Team
Forum 7s - Round two - 2012

jersey_dragons_1a.gif
-V-
jersey_rabbitohs_1.gif

Match Preview: The new-look Dragons will look to continue their winning ways against a Rabbitohs side that found form against the defending premiers, the Ninjas, as they fought out a draw last week. This match could go down to the very wire as both teams need to lift after poor 2011 seasons.

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5 -V- 5 (+ 3 reserves for home sides; + 2 for away)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php
Official Word Counter: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/wordcount.php

Kick Off: Monday 26th March 2012 (6:00pm AEDT)
Full Time: Sunday 8th April 2012 (Fulltime is at midnight)
Referee: madunit
Venue: WIN Jubilee Oval
315523_1_M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The St George Dragons have arrived at Kogarah Jubilee for their warm up. The hill is abuzz, and the sun is shining on the bay. Godz Illa is in his trackies but is still there running the team through their drills.

:::::TEAM:::::
jersey_dragons_1a.gif

ST GEORGE DRAGONS
:::F7s Round 2, 2012:::

Willow (c)
Tanner Ave
Slippery Morris
Everlovin' Antichrist
Hutty1986

Interchange:
Breathingfire
Dragon_psa
Cheesie-the-pirate

Good luck one and all. :thumn

Monk

Referee
Souths get caught up in the Holiday Traffic, but manage to name a team before everyones teeth rot due to chocolate overload.

| BUNNIES |
jersey_rabbitohs_1.gif

Bubbles
eloquentEEL
Marshall_magic
byrne_rovelli_fan82
Lambretta

Benchies
Non_Terminator
Monk (c)

eloquentEEL

First Grade
eloquentEEL for the Bunnies

ANATOMY OF A HOODOO

Australian_1999_20_cent_piece.jpg

Thump-thump. Thump-thump. Thump-thump.

She edged forward in her seat.

The first bead of sweat plunged from her brow, tracing the curve of her face as she flipped a coin, absent-mindedly turning it over on the back of her hand.

Heads. Again. Perhaps this really would be the last twenty cents she would have to her name in an hour and a half’s time.

Punter #1 to her left [plumber’s crack in full display and already shouting obscenities at the ref before a whistle has been blown in anger] might have suggested that the next flip would definitely produce another headshot of Queen Lizzie Jnr. And he’d have a strong argument too. You don’t get 7 heads in a row without good reason.

Punter #2 to her right [carrying a tray of beers back to her mates, spilling a good proportion on the way] may have suggested that the next flip would certainly result in a platypus’ mysterious mug. And she’d have had just as strong an argument. If you’ve just thrown 7 heads in a row, surely you must be due for tails.

They’d both be wrong.

It’s the quiet supporter three rows back [thick glasses, dishevelled hair, nose stuck in a spreadsheet of player stats] who would have given the correct answer; if anyone had bothered to ask. The odds of another heads on the next toss would have been 51% or 49% (depending on which side was facing down to start with).

All else being equal, the element of chance (which is significant in rugby league) would not be the main player deciding the result in this match. So what would decide the outcome? The team sheets highlighting the strengths of each respective squad on paper? Unlikely. The team with the vocal home ground advantage? Hardly. The team that bounced back from a poor start to the season but has some form on the board in recent weeks? Possible, but with one major exception, ie. when they come up against their hoodoo team. This is the team that will come up with the victory time and again. Despite the players they field. Despite their current form. Despite a poor bounce of the ball or insipid refereeing performance.

It starts with the form team getting out to a good lead and Punter #2 vocally reminds everyone her team is due for a win against this mob.

Tails. Tails. Tails.

A couple of things don’t go their way. The hoodoo team gets a try against the run of play and the old patterns set in. The players get distracted. Negative thoughts start to creep in. Doubts shoot up across the field as the choke takes hold. Going into the last ten minutes of the match, the hoodoo team draws level and Punter #1 cheers, knowingly making gestures involving a noose.

Heads. Heads. Heads.

But surely psychological responses can be managed. After all, it’s not the same playing roster as previous match ups, nor the same coaches. It’s not the same ref. Not the same ground. There is nothing that gives that hoodoo team the right to win this match. All else being equal, there is about a 50% chance of luck going their way. So forget past results. Forget the 7 heads in a row. Forget about heads and tails altogether. It’s the battle inside the human noggin that decides whether this match is won or lost.

The same human noggin with the same room for doubts to creep in. Will they or won’t they? Now concentrate. Just ten more minutes. Concentrate, dammit!

The battle in the players’ minds is reflected by a spectacular battle on the field. By this point in time, the punters have already gotten their money’s worth, regardless of the final result. The basket case staking her house on a game of league, let alone a match involving a hoodoo team? She’s another story, with her own mind battles to sort out.

The last ten minutes of the match develops a new sequence.

Heads. Tails. Heads. Tails.

Extra time.

Another toss of the coin.

References:
http://www.codingthewheel.com/archives/the-coin-flip-a-fundamentally-unfair-proposition
http://winningedgesportspsychology.com/Understanding_Pressure.php

Last edited:

Bubbles

Juniors
Bubbles on for Souths

This is the Living End

We’ll roll on with our heads held high. Our conscience in the gutter, our dreams up in the sky...

Want to hear a joke? Well, do you? Luckily, I have a rip snorter for you, a real doozey! So, gather around, lean in; you do not want to miss this. Here goes – Roosters are top four! Put another way, with a quarter of the season gone the Roosters are a top four team – talk about a rib tickler! Now, if I were a 20-something spritely thing all I would need now to pen this article would be to insert a LOL here, perhaps a ROFL or a LMAO. However, as a crusty old 40-something, I will instead resort to the outdated use of actual words to describe the two hours last night, during which this absurd statement rang true.

We’ll roll on with our heads held high. Our conscience in the gutter, our dreams up in the sky...

So, a short synopsis of the Rooster’s season so far; Round One saw them pull a miraculous win from their collective posterior and play approximately three minutes of inspiring football to snatch undeserved victory. Round Two found them fumbling and bumbling for eighty minutes, Keystone Cops style, all the while going down to one of their bogey teams in the Panthers. Round three the Chooks participated in a game that has since been referred to as “Not a good advertisement for Rugby League” with Canberra being their partners in crime, (the crime being the grievous bodily harm of quality football), only claiming the points because the Raiders were simply that bad. Two from three and on to Round Four, where they were handed a sound and bitter dose of reality in the shape of the Melbourne Storm; the less said about this game, particularly the second half, the better. Round Five and they pull off an unlikely win against the Warriors, once again largely due to their opponents being simply that bad, rather than playing good football over a sustained period of time. On to Round Six and the Chooks, in yet another appalling display of skill and discipline, fall across the line against the team who surely, surely, will be receiving their spoon-shaped trophy at season’s end.

So, there you have it folks, top four - boom-tish! Laughter starts at the very pit of my stomach, bubbling and swelling, sending ill-conditioned stomach muscles into twitching spasms. Finally erupting, my husband and I share one of those great deep down, side-clutching, tears-streaming, pleasure’n’pain belly laughs. Ah, the utter absurdity that is the Rugby League sometimes. For two hours I loved it, adored it, revelled in it, surrendered myself to it and French kissed it – top four; bwahahahaha!

We don’t care that that three of our six games could all be placed under the one unflattering banner of “Not a good advertisement for Rugby League” or that in our victory against the Raiders our completion rate finished at a mere mind-boggling fifty percent – top four!

Nor do we care that even having won four from six games thus far, our points differential is still in the negative, or that we could be sued (and with good cause) for false advertising. Can you imagine, “Broncos play Roosters this Friday night (when else?). Two top four sides; should be a cracker!” False advertising, or at the very least, bringing the game into disrepute.

We don’t care that we will get handed our rear-end on a platter by each of the top sides in the competition, or by any team that can hold the ball, nor that our top four dream only lasted ninety minutes before the Sharks bumped us to fifth. No indeed, for from our dwelling in the suburb of Mediocrity, twelfth position hanging from our letterbox, at the end of the season as we sip on our martinis we will look back on those halcyon ninety minutes with fondness, irony and just a gutful of guffaws.

Tanner Ave

Juniors
Tanner Ave proudly for the Dragons
jersey_dragons_1a.gif

From the pulpit

"How does a group experience the miracles that the Jews had just witnessed and still fall back into sin?"

Reverend Jim thundered out over the PA system.

This could be interesting, I thought to myself.

"They just witnessed the 10 miracles of God, which is still celebrated today. The Passover, now headed to freedom, the promised land. But the anger and hatred of a man, a King, a God to his people burned deep within over the loss of his son."

Oh, this is getting really good.

"So the Pharoah assembled his army and chased after his prey. They were helpless, they had nothing to defend themselves with against the ensuing tsunami of destruction!"

Go on...

"Then the greatest miracle of all, the Red Sea opened. Like the front door when the pizza arrives! The sea groaned in disapproval but submissive to the creator of all things, and after God's people crossed over onto the dry ground, SLAM! The waves crashed down, burying the persuing army deep into the sea floor.

"Do you see what has just happened? The Jewish people has just experienced a miracle that even today is so mind boggling people can't comprehend it. But look what happens now, this is the point that I want you all to focus on."

Oh boy, this is going to be good, I love when the Rev tells stories.

“The people come to a mountain called Sinai. God calls Moses into his presence, and while he was away, the people, God’s people, the very people that he had just proven himself to needed something to worship so they made a stupid gold calf!"

Oh man, God is gunna go nuts on these disrespectful kids.

“You see!” Rev Jim continues.

“Man has a desperate need to worship something, we have idols in our life...."

Rev, what about those kids, did God get them? Get to the idol stuff later!

“…….Football teams, yes they can be an idol to you if you allow them. I mean the ones down the road have been labeled the brethren, that my dear friends is idolatry."

Rev that’s how it happens every Sunday. I come ready to give you a chance you start off all guns blazing, then BAM you go and put the guilt trip on. Saints are not an idol.

“I know what your thinking, it’s not really an idol, just an enjoyment."

How the hell do they do that? These preachers always seem to know what I’m thinking.

“So lets define an idol shall we?"

Let’s REV.

“Basically an idol is something that is man made and worshipped! How many people worship their car? Wives? Jobs? And again I say football team?

“We need to stop this and worship only God. He alones deserves our worship He alone……"

See Rev you let yourself down here. My team, the mighty St George - the mighty Red V, is much more than a “football team”. It's not a man made thing either. Sure the jerseys are made and the logos designed by men or women. Reality is, they are much more. The Red V is my unknown brother on the hill watching the boys, who’s privilege it is to wear that made jersey. It's me wearing it with the same amount of pride at Hurstville, Miranda or New York.

It’s the local school my kids attend and the way the teachers nurture them. It's Botany Bay and the craziness of Bay Street after dark. Rev the Red V is the local coffee shop that makes the best coffee in the world. It’s the local locksmith with the Red V as a logo, and the Perspex guy who has the sign VVayne VVho on the Highway?

I mean it's my local church for crying out loud.

Maybe you don’t understand Rev that the Red V is not an idol. You can't make the pride I feel as I drive past Renown Park knowing Nighty and Gaz were juniors there or watching the Arncliffe Scots play in the heat wearing black (bless those little kids). Maybe there is the next Saints first grader?

I cheer for Saints because they drive in my streets and play on my parks, and have as much pride in the Red V as I do. The V that represents St George and all its people.

See Rev this is not an idol but a lifestyle, maybe you should preach more on judgment and less on idols!

(746 words)

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow | Dragons
jersey_dragons_1a.gif

Where's the fridge?

Much has been said about Manly football legend Peter Peters and his weight issues, and many observers have chuckled aloud when the story broke about Peters allegedly running off with a sponsor's fridge. But let me say up front that I find fat jokes to be an appalling attempt at humour, and there'll be no such low brow innuendo from me.

Born in Australia to Greek parents, Panoutas Peterides slimmed down his name to Peter Peters before taking on the robust nickname of Greek legend 'Zorba'. A West Wollongong junior and rolling in from Goulburn, it wasn't long before Peters showed up on the radar across the Sydney Rugby League landscape. A burgeoning presence in Parramatta, Peters was soon given his own postcode by the Eels, signing up for one roly-poly season in 1968. The following year he signed a prosperous deal with Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles, where he remained until 1974. A goal-kicking second rower, Zorba feasted upon his opponents, gobbling up 84 first grade games. He scored a hefty total of 141 career points, eating up 15 tries, beefing up for 47 goals and potting 1 field goal.

The main course for Peters came in 1973 when he played a sumptuous Grand Final for Manly, defeating a hungry Cronulla Sharks outfit by 10-7.

Peter-Peters_1968_200x279.jpg

A player in 1968

But none of this touched the sides or satisfied the hunger of Zorba. Indeed, football was a mere entrée compared to the dessert on offer.

Following retirement, Peters was served up an idea to join the media. He soon found employment as a league writer and radio broadcaster.

The only time I ever saw Panoutas Peterides in the flesh was at Kogarah Jubilee in 2010. Now in his sixties, Peters was a sight to behold. To say he has a stout nature is an understatement. After Saints obliterated Manly 28-0 in the final, Zorba rumbled his way up the tunnel and gave a 'choking' signal to the home crowd. Initially I was worried about the big fella's condition, but it was mere banter and the jeers from the faithful replaced any previous feelings of empathy. Afterwards, Peters wrote that St George were no chance. To his credit, after the 2010 Grand Final and Dragons victory, he retracted his silly comments.

It has to be said that Peters has carved out an enormous career for himself in the media. His chunky collaboration with Greg Hartley on Radio 2GB as 'Zorba and Hollywood' was perhaps his heaviest contribution. In all, a fine sitting at the table of journalism that culminated with his appointment as media manager with his old club. At Manly, his media releases were as regular as clockwork, his email network was bulky and Manly's website was bulging at the seams. Peters was so colossal behind his computer that he gave a whole new meaning to the world wide web.

But it hasn't always been beer and anchovies.

monty-python-mr-creosote_400x275.jpg

A sports journalist in 2010

In 2011, Peters was stood down by Manly over an apparent sexist comment made to a female journalist. Then, to make matters worse, he was accused of stealing a fridge.

Called 'Fridge-gate' by the paperboys, the incident revealed a gargantuan list of email exchanges between the warring parties. The accuser was Steve Reilly, founder of the Reilly & Sons Food Services group. Reilly alleged the missing fridge was "used for a purpose he never intended". Good grief! What could that mean?

Reilly considered taking the matter to police after alleging a fridge fitting the description was last seen entering the home of Peters' friend. The matter is serious enough though, having already cost Manly a reported $80,000 in future sponsorship.

Peters defended himself robustly, saying he would welcome an investigation and called the accusation, "nothing more than a slur against my name."

But the steak knives were already out for Peters. He was in the firing line for sexism, such is the lot for a 1960s bloke stuck in the body of a 21st century snag.

"You're a good sort," Peters said to the female journalist. To make a bird of it, he said it twice. Zorba certainly made a meal out of that.

Peters was sacked for his flirty faux pas. But Manly supporters rallied with the Manly Daily (who Peters writes for) leading the charge.

In his defence, Peters exclaimed, "I'm a grandfather for God's sake."

Works for me. After all, it could have been much worse... he could have called her fat.

===============================
Words | 750
Ref |
http://www.sportal.com.au/league-news-display/peter-zorba-peters-45163
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/peters-stood-down-by-sea-eagles-20110901-1jnzy.html
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/fridge-gate/
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/peter-peters/summary.html
Pics | Thank you Scanlens (via davestradingcards.com) and Monty Python.

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal
Hutty1986 looks to shrug off an epic Easter hangover with a run for his beloved Dragons...

Hutty1986
jersey_dragons_1a.gif

A fantasy-tical voyage

Every round in our terrific Forum Sevens competition there are stories on all sorts of Rugby League yarns. From the optimistic offerings regarding a certain team's chances to match previews, to a comparison between Peter Peters and a particularly plump character from Monty Python.

A topic that doesn't get as much publicity is something that has slowly taken over my life, the lives of my mates and my office; Fantasy NRL. The premise of the game is quite straightforward - you get a salary cap and have to put together a side of 23 players. Your side consists of 17 starters and six benchies, or 'orange peelers' as I like to refer to them as. While the make-up of your main side is crucial to success, should one get injured, the wood-warmer will slot straight in and earn the honour of representing your team!

Just when I thought watching Rugby League couldn't be more enjoyable or enthralling, Fantasy NRL comes along. Now I support St George Illawarra and 17 blokes from all over the comp and it has given my viewing experience a whole extra dimension. In the world of FNRL, tries and try assists are king, but hard work is also rewarded. Not only is Paul Gallen the world's best forward, he just so happens to be the best Fantasy player going around because he works and works and works.

This afternoon's Raiders v Warriors clash is a perfect example of how I manage to consistently pick the wrong line-up. While I decided that young gun Raiders winger Jack Wighton was a great pick (and admittedly, he did score a try), the decision to bench Blake Ferguson may prove to be very costly indeed. As my boy Jack caught a cold out on the left flank, Fergo was ducking and weaving his way to line breaks, try assists and a powerful score of 50. Wighton nabbed me 30, but in the cut-throat world of Fantasy NRL, this could be a fatal mistake on my behalf.

Making the whole deal even sweeter is the ability to take on your friends and family in 'Leagues' where bragging rights can be won and lost every single week. As a long-term user of the Foxsports website variation of the game, I can tell you that it's not as easy it looks. To compete consistently week-in and week-out a score of 550+ is a must and for that to happen, a lot of hoops need to be jumped through. Your captains score is automatically doubled, so that is a choice that has to be spot-on. A powerful back-row is crucial, plus I highly recommend you spend plenty of pennies on an explosive back-line.

My armchair critic skills are as loud and obnoxious as the rest of us, but even with the entire NRL to choose from, I have trouble picking 17 guys who will perform. That's hard enough, imagine what it was like coaching Souths in those dusty few years after re-admission!

Fans of last year's grand finalists Manly and New Zealand are sure to be highly concerned about their teams' ordinary start to 2012; but there is a far bigger issue at play here - how the bloody hell am I going to win Fantasy this weekend? At the time of writing, I had high hopes for a comprehensive Melbourne victory over those Cowboys from up Townsville way. Captain Cronk needs a blinder, Matt Duffie needs a hat-trick and Ash Graham needs a couple of 'meat pies' as well. That's not too much to ask for, is it? Maybe a sneaky 44-30 Storm win will do the job, or I could cop a Cowboys triumph to the tune of 52-50.

In case you couldn't tell, I do love my Rugby League but if the Saints don't win, a handy consolation prize is success for 'Hutty's Heroes.' This weekend it looks looks I might miss out on both, but I live in hope.

So if you find yourself sitting there watching two sides you hate slogging it out on a wet and miserable Saturday night, there is a sure-fire cure to those boredom blues. Jump online, google 'Fantasy NRL' and get on board. It's fun, good for a laugh and improves your knowledge of players from all around the league.

Now, I'm off to watch the Cows battle the Storm and pray for some divine intervention. That, or a Cooper Cronk master-class.

Carn Cronky!

=========================
741 words

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
byrne_rovelli_fan bounces in for the Bunnies after missing for several hours and hopes she is not going to fall flat on her face like her beloved Warriors....

~~~

Move on we don’t care.

When Melbourne Storm halfback Cooper Cronk finally ended months of speculation and announced he was staying on with the Storm for four more years, a big sigh of relief could almost be felt around Melbourne.

It is the latest in a string of good news for the NRL club since the disaster of season 2010, when they were left humiliated, devastated and stripped naked for the world.

Now let’s take a stroll back through time to the salary cap drama, as speculation began to engulf the NRL. Debate raged around the players housed at the Storm, with everyone wondering just where these mass superstars would end up, seeing as it was unlikely they could stay unless their salary was cut back. The club had to cut some players; there was no other way and while the fans were up in arms about it, deep down they too knew there was little choice.

One of the first major casualties for the Storm was Greg Inglis when he departed the club, bound for the South Sydney Rabbitohs. Though his leaving left a hole in the hearts of devoted Storm supporters, they were quick to move on and his spot belonged to another bright star in Dane Nielsen.

In 2009 while observing the Storm’s U20s, team one player stood out, in their fullback Gareth Widdop. Whispers went round of him possibly being the next Billy Slater. Unfortunately for young Widdop the possibility of playing first grade in his favoured position seemed highly unlikely until a chance opportunity came up with the departure of Brett Finch.

Also roaming around in the U20s last year was a very familiar figure hoovering around at hooker, and he too held the name ‘Smith’. Low and behold it turned out this dynamic hooker is the younger brother of stalwart Cameron in the top grade.

As if this wasn’t enough to cause headaches, the Storm also has youngsters Kevin Proctor, Jesse and Kenneath Bromwich; all of them graduates’ from the NRL’s National Youth Competition. As with their NZ counterparts, Melbourne Storm harnessed the power of the youth competition to their advantage.

To make their stocks look even more envious to other teams one only needs to cast an eye to their halfbacks. Aside from Cronk they also have waiting in the wings; Luke Kelly currently playing in the NSW Cup and for the U20s is Ben Hampton. Even in the unlikely situation Cronk had decided to ‘fly the coop’ there was no reason for anybody to pull out the stops and panic their succession plan was already in place.

Just like in everyday business employees chop ‘n’ change on a regular basis. Out with the old, and in with the new as the saying goes, this couldn’t be truer for the Storm. While they would have wanted to keep their ‘big three’ together for as long as possible there is little doubt if any at all, they would not have minded. Of course secretly the thought of playing against the guys they’ve brought up through the ranks would hurt their chances. Still deep down the club would be pleased seeing the players they have invested time and money in gaining success at the other 15 NRL clubs.

Nevertheless it wasn’t just the young juniors rising up through the ranks that had everyone feeling envious. Melbourne went about making purchases on players whose careers had generally stagnated at their current clubs; seen as getting too old and it was time to send them packing. Todd Lowrie, Jaiman Lowe, Bryan Norrie, Adam Woolnough and Jason Ryles all came to the Storm in the past couple of seasons. Somehow, someway they’ve been brought back from the dead, their careers have blossomed, their form has turned around and they’ve become the big stars they were once were a long time ago.

It is little wonder why the public holds a deep hatred for the Storm; their secret to success is not so secret after all. Reality says they have taken the time and invested all their efforts to breathe life into footy. You can’t buy success but you can groom it.

So while NRL clubs continue their hot pursuit of high-profile players and the constant news of new deals finalised a year in advance; rest assured the Storm have their future superstars already safe and locked away. In the event they get struck by another salary cap disaster they’ll been just as prepared to weather the storm.
~~~

749 words between the lines according to official word counter (title inclusive)

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
***Posting By Proxy***

Thanks to Souths captain Monk and referee madunit for giving F7s debutant Slippery Morris permission to land.
=============================

Slippery Morris
jersey_dragons_1a.gif

Loyalty is Dead - NOT

I spoke to a Bulldogs supporter after it was announced that Des Hasler will be coaching Canterbury. I told him it will be weird seeing Hasler at the Bulldogs as he is a Manly legend.

He patted me on the back and said, "where have you been mate, loyalty is dead in the NRL". He is not the only who has come out with this comment, I have heard it bandied around even by some of the experts in the media.

If loyalty was dead then we would not have had players like Darren Lockyer, Steve Menzies, Shane Webcke, Andrew Johns, John Skandalis, Hazem El Masri and Nathan Cayless retire after only playing for one NRL club. Players going to England usually go at the end of their careers to cash in and for the experience. Some do this because the thought of playing against their old club is just too much for them to take.

Before the Super League came in player loyalty was greater than it is now. With the huge sums of money being thrown around players were able to make a living out of Rugby League. Why stay at the club you love and work a part time job, when you can go to another and get paid training and playing football. There were player movements everywhere but there was also some players who still stayed at the one club. For example, Geoff Toovey, Laurie Daley, Mark Coyne, Paul McGregor, Rod Wishart and Paul Harragon. Loyalty was not as strong as before but was still around, it was not dead then and it certainly is not dead now.

We are slowly getting better with players like Nathan Hindmarsh, Ben Hornby, Matt Cooper, Paul Gallen, Anthony Minichello, Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Matthew Bowen, Kurt Gidley, and more looking at playing out their careers with the one club. You will find loyal players in most clubs.

Players tend to leave clubs to chase the dollar and you can understand why. It happens in every sport, even in occupations you come across where people just feel they need a different challenge or get approached by other companies to move for a better salary. At the end it is up to the individual what they want to do. Some are content to stay at the same job or sporting club and continue doing what they are doing, while others get bored easy and like change. Others just want the extra cash to improve their lifestyle.

The club and the fans play a role as well when it comes to players making these decisions. Some players may not have achieved much but just don't want to leave because they love the club and their fans. A perfect example is Steven Gerrard in Liverpool or Francesco Totti who have been offered huge sums of cash to leave but just won't do it. Both would probably achieved more if they left but chose to stay. In the NRL, the perfect example is Andrew Ettingshausen who retired playing for Cronulla never having won a grand Final. He was one of the best in his position for many years and would have been heavily sought after by other clubs but chose to stay with his beloved Sharks. Hazem El Masri went through some tough times at the Bulldogs with the salary cap and Coffs Harbour scandals and could have easily left the club but chose to stay. Why? Because he loved the club and the fans. We often hear when players retire how close they came to leave the club but chose to remain. Some fans can also drive a player away like Jason Ryles who was constantly blamed for the clubs failings. Hence the reason why fans play a role in players leaving a club.

Growing up I dreamed of playing for my favourite club St George and I am sure many would have felt that way including current players. Why would they be different? I guess you can tell the passionate fans who had these dreams as kids and the ones who just love playing the game no matter who they played for or with. That is what probably defines loyalty to one club more than anything else.

So is loyalty dead in Rugby League? Definitely not.

=============================

718 words

EA for Saints.

jersey_dragons_1a.gif

The Rugby League tragic’s guide to….

It appears to me that Football code forums, being a relatively new part of the information network, don’t have what one would call a guide to posting, a guide on how to translate the passion one has for a Football team or a code of Football into words, for consumption by the masses. This will be a series of articles intended to make the move from real-life Rugby League fan to the life of a forum member smoother. As passion works two ways, these articles will deal with it’s negative side, otherwise known as hate.

Article one; The Rugby League tragic’s guide to hating another Football Code.

1. Exclude Sanity

When you hate a code of Football, be it Soccer, AFL, Rugby Union, NFL or even that silly Irish game where they play with a round ball and have Soccer and Rugby posts together, it is important to ignore any salient argument your brain may attempt in favour of the code of Football you hate.

For example, if you dislike AFL but read somewhere that they get huge crowds in the southern states of Australia, simply ignore it. Put it back to the darkest recesses of your mind like an AFL fan would do with their memories of weird Uncle Frank and that camping trip with the Scouts where….nevermind.

2. Never forget that you're incognito

When you post something negative about any other Football code, you’ll almost certainly be targeted by a small minority of that code’s fans who will want to find you and do things to you that are probably only legal in part of Tasmania, Cessnock and Broome. Ignore their threats, they can threaten you with anything they like but the best they can do is punch their keyboard and hope that it somehow is felt by you.

3. Play the man and the ball

Insulting the code someone else follows is always a good way to irritate them, but don’t forget to let them know that they are somehow less of a person for following it. Sure, it’s petty and childish to play the man, but a code of Football doesn’t get angry when you insult it.

For example; Rugby Union is a game played by people who couldn’t get a start in a NSW Cup Rugby League side and followed by elbow-patch wearing, Pimms drinking vermin who couldn’t get laid in a room full of crack-whores with $100 notes taped to their foreheads.

4. Go for the jugular and grow a thick skin

Don’t ease up if you have someone rattled. If you can feel they’re steaming behind their keyboard, pour on the scorn. On the reverse side, don’t let anything phase you. Don’t allow anything typed on a message board to annoy you in the slightest and if it does, it is imperative that your reply, if warranted, is cool, calm, collected and most of all, vicious.

5. Hate it hard, long and forever

Once you’ve decided you’ve had enough of a particular code, don’t waver at all. Hate is a strong word and there are literally hundreds of words available to describe your hatred of the one deserving your ire and you should attempt to use them all, eventually.

For example; AFL is a game played by anorexic stick insects and followed by people with a barely measurable IQ who should be condemned to wait tables at a Canine-menu-only restaurant in a Korean slum for eternity.

6. Don't give credit where credit is due

Never, under any circumstances admit defeat or admit that your opponent’s argument is so salient, that you have to admit that they’re right. If you get into that position, deflection, procrastination and/or ignorance is the best option.

For example: “You say that AFL has larger crowds, I’ve never heard that before so I’ll get back to you later. Feel free to hold your breath until I do.”

In conclusion; the reason for your hate can be anything from the bloke who took your first girlfriend was a Rugby League fan (common amongst Rugby Union fans) to an intense dislike of the fans of a particular code because as a group they have all the intelligence and wit one would associate with stone fruit and they bear a striking resemblance to the backwoods people in the movie Deliverance (AFL fans). It doesn’t really matter; just ensure that you commit to the hate like you should commit to a marriage.

747 words, including title.

Last edited:

Lambretta

First Grade
Lambretta pulls up his socks, catches the ball and runs at the smallest person on the field in the hope of not getting too smashed.

685 words below the line

Can Channel Nine be trusted?

This article was intended to be a scathing attack on Channel Nine’s treatment of Rugby League and how they shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near future television rights. But recent developments have me questioning my resolve.

For many years Rugby League was well served by Channel Nine, but over recent years their behaviour towards Our Great Sport has been deteriorating. An ageing and increasingly irrelevant commentary team has viewers pulling their hair out, while terrible scheduling decisions - outside of the heartland of Queensland and New South Wales - seemed deliberately designed to prevent Rugby League gaining even a small following in the southern states. On top of this, Nine’s refusal to televise games on their digital network, GEM; the lack of high definition broadcasts; and their terrible treatment of Super League, combined to indicate a broadcasting network that was either directionless and out of ideas, or deliberately trying to damage the game in return for cheaper broadcasting rights.

But no sooner had I finished my article that news broke announcing Channel Nine had decided to start broadcasting Sunday afternoon games in Western Australia simultaneously with the Queensland broadcast. Good news indeed for fans of the game in Western Australia and possibly an indicator of where the Game’s next expansion area is likely to occur.

Then as this news was sinking in, Channel Nine went further and announced the introduction of technology that allowed them to split the broadcasts on their digital network. As a result, GEM can show games in cities such as Melbourne and Adelaide at the same time as the main Channel Nine broadcast in Queensland and NSW. This is not only excellent news for supporters around the country, but more importantly for the Game, which now has the chance to grow its audience base.

Finally, Channel Nine and FOXTEL announced they are combining resources to secure future broadcasting rights in the face of serious competition from the Seven and Ten networks ... which of course hints at a significant funding increase.

Questions remain, however. Is this sudden change in attitude temporary or permanent? Can Channel Nine be trusted to work with the NRL to strengthen Rugby League nationally, when its past behaviour has been so reprehensible?

I believe the answers to these questions revolve around finance. Channel Nine changed ownership just before the GFC and the new owners seemed more cautious with their spending. Nine suddenly found itself losing out on the better quality shows and their ratings suffered, leading to a drop in advertising revenue. Less revenue, less spending, and the resultant focus on funding lead to less scheduling risks and less investment such as in the technology to split the digital signal.

So what has changed?

Two concurrent events may explain Channel Nine’s change in direction:

1. The television rights are up for renewal; and
2. The Australian Rugby League Commission has replaced the NRL as the Game’s main decision-making body

In the past, it has suited both News Limited and the Victorian AFL club owners who run Channel Nine in Melbourne, to keep Rugby League away from the free-to-air landscape outside of League’s traditional heartland. The new Commission, however, will provide Rugby League with a united voice that will be better placed to dictate terms that suit the code. And with the current television deal fast running out, Channel Nine now seems intent to retain the contract by impressing the Game’s key stakeholders. They’ll need to show them that their code’s future broadcasting is in safe hands.

Channel Nine has the potential to do a good job of showcasing Rugby League if they make the effort, but it would seem imprudent of the Commission to award the rights to any network without strict conditions that benefit the Game, such as rules around the number of games broadcast each round, and the timing of broadcasts in the different states. Anything less will mean that Rugby League will be selling itself short and that must not be allowed to happen again. Rugby League must trust its broadcasters to play by the rules the game itself dictates.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Marshall Magic on late for Souths hoping to steal it at the death.
[/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]--------------------------------
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How Do I Know When It’s Love?[/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot]Rugby league is different things to different people. Many people enjoy the drama of the sport. The drama rivals what you would see in any theatre. However in 2012 we’ve seen a story in a genre of theatre that is very rarely seen in rugby league, a romance story. Whilst at first I found it almost impossible to believe, looking at all the evidence I have, I am more and more inclined to believe it is true love. This love is not that between a man and his fair maiden. But instead the love between a superstar of the game, Benji Marshall, and his teammate Tim Moltzen, two young lovers who will stop at nothing to be together. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now for those of you who think this is preposterous, allow me to run through a few classic love ballads and see if these lyrics don’t describe the relationship between these two and what they have done to be and stay together.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“It’s gonna take a lot to take me away from you. There’s nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]These classic lyrics can tell us a lot about the duo. Timmy was shopped around and even signed with a massive club like the Dragons you’d think that would be the end of their tenure as teammates. However not even Doust, Gallop, Schubert and thousands of angry Dragons fans could get Timmy to keep his word. Just like that Timmy was back at the Tigers with his Benji. Yes, it was not a hundred men that failed to keep Timmy away from Benji, it was thousands. I must say that is an amazing bond between the two.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“You’ll be the prince and I’ll be the princess. It’s a love story baby just say yes.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A modern day love song, but again the connection between this and reality is uncanny. Since the departure of a certain Prince from the Tigers, Benji has been on a long search for a new one. However after years of searching it seemed as though Benji has took it upon himself to be the Prince, and initiated his search for a Princess instead. This resulted in Benji finding his Princess in Timmy. Unfortunately Timmy seems to be trying to live up to the princess tag in all aspects of his life, including his on field performances.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“So baby, don’t worry. You are my only. You won’t be lonely. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Even if the sky is falling down.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]These words really reflect how Benji feels about Timmy. No matter how poorly Timmy plays he will always be Benji’s only one, he will never be alone. Not even if his form makes it seem as though his whole world comes crashing down around him. Unfortunately for the Tigers 2012 campaign Timmy’s reply to this was “challenge accepted,” but it’s good for the two of them that in this time of challenge that their love still goes strong, even if the Tigers go “down, down, down, down,” down the ladder.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Want you to make me feel, like I’m the only girl in the world. Like I’m the only one that you’ll ever love”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ignoring a somewhat humorous yet a tad inappropriate gender inaccuracy here, this is another frighteningly accurate depiction of what Timmy wants from Benji. During the peak of this saga we saw the Dragons Army demanding Timmy honour his contract, while the Tigers fans saying they don’t want him anyway. However Timmy wanted Benji to stick up for him hard, irrelevant of what everyone else thought. He wanted Benji to treat him like the only other person in the world. Timmy has since gone out of his way to make the lyric accurate in it’s entirety.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“So if you want to love me then darlin’ don’t refrain. Or I’ll just end up walkin’ in the cold November rain.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The similarities here to the relationship under question are again very similar, and even the timing is correct. Timmy was prepared to trot off to the Dragons without Benji...in the month of November. Benji did not refrain; he laid it on the line to bring Timmy back to the Tigers, and not wandering out into the cold November rain to the Dragons. Not only did Benji put it all on the line, he helped recruit others to keep him and Timmy together, an impressive move showing us once again that true love will conquer all.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]--------------------------[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]744 words between the lines[/FONT]

Sources (in order)
Africa-Toto
Love Story-Taylor Swift
Down-Jay Sean
Only Girl-Rihanna
November Rain-Guns 'N' Roses

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Looks like 5v5. :clap:

Congrats in advance to all competitors, a tremendous set of articles.

Over to you ref. :thumn

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Souths - 427

eloquentEEL – Anatomy Of A Hoodoo (687 words) – 83
A look at hoodoo’s and whether they are just a coincidence, or psychological.

Bubbles – This Is The Living End (743 words) – 84
A solid piece about the astonishing and somewhat confusing start to the season by the Roosters.

byrne_rovelli_fan82 – Move On We Don’t Care (749 words) – 85
The succession plan in place at the Storm and how it is designed to deal with the inevitable departure of the NRL team’s big guns.

Lambretta – Can Channel Nine Be Trusted? – (682 words) – 87
A great piece about the dramatic change in attitude by Channel 9 towards Rugby League outside NSW and QLD, posing a very good question. Time will tell.

Marshall Magic – How Do I Know When It’s Love? (744 words) – 88
Brilliant piece of work here. A great swipe at two players in such beautiful words. Loved it!

Dragons – 433

Tanner Ave – From The Pulpit (746 words) – 86
A clever piece explaining the difference between idolising a footy team and being a part of a fotoy team. Nicely done.

Willow – Where’s The Fridge? (750 words) – 89
A magnificent piece about Peter Peters. I was going to count the number of references you didn’t make to his weight, but gave up early. Well written indeed!

Hutty1986 – A Fantasy-tical Voyage (741 words) – 85
A look at Fantasy NRL and how it’s changed the way fans support the game. Instead of watching your own team, we now watch all the games to cheer on our fantasy team members.

Slippery Morris – Loyalty is Dead – NOT (718 words) – 84
A solid piece about loyalty and the fact that is still alive and well in a modern professional game where players are free to play wherever they want.

Everlovin’ Antichrist – The Rugby League Tragic’s Guide To… (747 words) – 89
A wonderful, colourful guide on how to show your hatred towards another code, filled with many great truths about the codes as well. It was like a guide and a cheat sheet all in one!

Dragons win 433-427

POTM – Willow (Dragons) & Everlovin’ Antichrist (Dragons) - 89

Latest posts