What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

Perth Red

Post Whore
As there is no thread specifically for news stories etc for the Bombers bid I thought I'd start one to go with the other bids threads.

Story from the Bombers on the need for another Brisbane team for TV

Not having an NRL game in Brisbane every week is handing AFL and Super Rugby a free kick, according to the Brisbane Bombers expansion consortium.
Broncos fans had just one home game at Lang Park in the first month of the premiership and will only be able to watch their team at home twice in seven weeks between rounds nine and 15.
"It will be easier to see an AFL game or a Super 15 (Rugby) match at times throughout the year than it will be to see Brisbane's number one code," Bombers consortium chairman Craig Davison said.
The Bombers are one of several consortiums bidding for an NRL expansion licence if the new ARL Commission gives the green light to more teams.
"It's a no-brainer. You have to have a rugby league game on in Brisbane every weekend," Davison said.
He said the big television audience tuning in to watch the Broncos play every Friday night was irresistible proof Brisbane rugby league followers wanted more.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-24/tv-figures-back-second-brisbane-nrl-team/3970076?section=sport

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Even though I'm all for a 2nd team from the Brisbane or South Queensland this stuff about giving AFL or rugby a free kick by not having a game every week is a bit of a myth. The afl had their 'Q clash' or whatever they call it last weekend when no league was played and got 21000. That indicates to me that league fans without a game won't go to see an afl game just because there's no league. Union as a spectacle and with its image, true or otherwise, as a game for upper socio economic classes will always struggle to convert league fans to it.

The bonus of having a game in Brisbane each week is that it strengthens leagues position as the dominant code in Queensland.

Jankuloski

Juniors
There will always be people in between.. The trend is that more and more fans are like that.. The days of the dedicated one-code / one-club fan are past us IMO

docbrown

Coach
It's actually the other way around.

article-1424---image-2-%28HS%29.aspx

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Brisbane Reds do get 30K+ crowds though so wouldn't hurt to have another NRL team to try and take some of that audience?

gyallop

Juniors
Interesting graph...is that from some official member survey of casual supporter survey? You would expect casual supporters to be sports fans rather then specific one team one code supporters.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Interesting graph...is that from some official member survey of casual supporter survey? You would expect casual supporters to be sports fans rather then specific one team one code supporters.

From that graph I assume that are only seeing what AFL supporters from 3 clubs attend. So are they saying that Swans fan attend more NRL games than AFL games?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gallop last week apparently stated in an interview that a 2nd Brisbane team is a certainty.

gyallop

Juniors
He means another team playing out of Suncorp I think from his previous comments. Down south they Ipswich is part of Brisbane.

Smiley

Bench
The bid has a new website.

http://www.brisbanebombers.com.au

Who will own the team?

The Directors have weighed up the opportunities at either a community-owned team or a business-ownership with a community focus. As with a number of successful NRL clubs, the Brisbane Bombers would be a privately owned business with a mandate to facilitate the growth of Rugby League across the community through to junior players to the Elite level whilst maintaining the integrity of the Bid through a focus on: Community, Integrity, Sustainability, Success.

Is there enough corporate dollars available to support a second Brisbane team?

With rugby league being the strongest of the 4 football codes in Queensland there is overwhelming support that there are plenty of opportunities available for a second Brisbane team. The Brisbane Broncos have one of the highest amounts of corporate sponsorship in Rugby League and for each of their major sponsors on board, there is exclusivity given to that category so that no competitors in the industry can also be part of the team. This provides a tremendous opportunity for a wide range of corporate clients based in Brisbane and Nationally to be part of the Brisbane Bombers.

How will this bid be compared to other bids in vying for an NRL license?

Each bidding area has its key strengths as weaknesses. No single bid would be a hands-down ‘shoe-in’ should the Independent Commission call for expansion tenders in 2012 or beyond. The Brisbane Bombers have a very unique set of strengths compared to most bids including:

Corporate Dollars Available
Community Engagement Opportunities
Number of Junior Clubs / players in the vicinity to benefit from a 2nd NRL side
TV Rights Broadcasting of a 2nd Brisbane game on a weekly basis
Local Derby – Brisbane v Brisbane provides many corporate, networking, sponsorship, community activities that don’t currently exist
A Bombers Community Program, with $1 million annually spent on engaging the community through a wide range of activities as well as another $1 million annually on development of Rugby League players from juniors through to Elite squads.

newman

First Grade
I hate everything about this bid. I hate the name, hate the colours, hate the vibe. It sucks. I hope another qld bid gets the nod over it.

gyallop

Juniors
With WA in the news what are the odds of another fantasy land "look at me" statement from the Bombers after origin finishes?

dimitri

First Grade
I hate everything about this bid. I hate the name, hate the colours, hate the vibe. It sucks. I hope another qld bid gets the nod over it.

the colours are the only thing i do like

i do agree though, i think the west-corridor and CQ bids would be favourites over the bombers, with WCP the other favourite

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not so sure, I reckon the Bombers have some heavy hitter corporate backing to roll out, ultimately that is what the ARLC will be looking for from a Brisbane2 bid, someone who has the financial clout to challenge the Broncos. Western Corridor have yet to show anything in terms of financial backing or supporters.

adamkungl

Immortal
Why the f**k would anyone go for them though? They aren't the anti-Broncos. They are a carbon copy of the Broncos.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm amazed neither of the Brisbane bids can show any evidence of potential support. You'd think this will matter in the bid process.