What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willow Cup 2012 :: Ninjas V Souths :: Week 1

joshie

Live Update Team
jersey_ninjas_1.gif
-V-
jersey_rabbitohs_1.gif

Match Preview: The Ninjas, who took out the top honours in this format in 2011, will be looking to begin their run to week three of the Willow Cup again this season. With the core squad who won it last year remaining, they are certainly capable but the valiant Rabbitohs are out to spoil the party. Souths have been a strong squad in the new season and will be looking to break the draw that these two shared in round one of the 2012 regular season, with a victory.

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 3 -V- 3 (+ 4 reserves for both sides)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php
Official Word Counter: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/wordcount.php

Kick Off: Sunday 20th May 2012 (6:00pm AEST)
Full Time: Wednesday 30th May 2012 (Fulltime is at midnight)
Referee: Willow
Venue: Reliant Stadium
ReliantStadium_nightshot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

joshie

Live Update Team
Team for ninjas
1. Joshie - captain
2. Jamesgould
3. gUt

4. Edabomb
5. Cobydelany
6. Misanthrope
7. Raider_69

Monk

Referee
Dem Rabbits are ready and firing, it's frightening!

jersey_rabbitohs_1.gif

Monk (c)
Bubbles
byrne_rovelli_fan82

Bench:
Lambretta
Scott Gourley's Lovechild
Non_Terminator
eloquentEEL

jamesgould

Juniors
For the Ninjas:

What a Waste!

There’s a quote by Douglas Adams that goes “Life is wasted on the living”. The premise is straight-forward enough – people living their lives don’t enjoy their day to day existence, or take advantage of it, as much as they could do.

A similar (although less catchy) phrase could be applied to rugby league players. Playing in the NRL is wasted on rugby league players.

I was watching the Newcastle Knights bumble their way through another horrible 80 minutes last weekend when it struck me. Here is a side that all of a sudden has some of the best facilities in the NRL, arguably the greatest ever coach, a record number of season ticket holders for the club, and they dish this up.

It’s not like the side was simply outclassed - the effort in basic rugby league fundamentals was just not there. As has been mentioned by several commentators since, the defensive line speed was dreadful, and the go-forward from most of the forwards was similarly disasterous. These facts are an attitude problem, not a lack of skill. In fact, I can think of only one match this year where these aspects were up to scratch – an impressive round 4 win over the Canterbury Bulldogs.

Before Bennett’s arrival last season, several members of the Newcastle team were moved on. Cory Paterson, Beau Henry, Antonio Kaufusi, Cameron Ciraldo, Isaac De Gois, Shannon McDonnell and Mark Taufua were all given their marching orders for the 2012 season. There was little public comment on this process by the players, however it did erupt when Mark Taufua announced on twitter that “A few of da anti Wayne Bennett Boys r drinking at @JzEbByT [Zeb Taia’s] house while they have a #Rank meeting with Bennett.Worry about da Dragons u 9Ball”.

A few tweets later, he mentioned that Kaufusi and De Gois were with him.

I personally don’t think it’s a stretch to say that certain players left behind still resent Bennett for breaking up their 2011 side, and there are still issues with harmony at the club. It’s certainly the only reason I can think of for the lack of effort in so many Newcastle performances this season.

It wouldn’t be the first time that this has happened, either. In 2009, Newcastle sat in fifth spot on the competition ladder after 19 rounds. Then-coach Brian Smith announced during a bye week that he would be departing the club for the Sydney Roosters in 2010, taking the club’s administration up on an offer of an early release.

Newcastle’s next three results were a 44-20 loss to Manly, a 30-18 loss to the last placed Sydney Roosters at home, and a 40-8 rorting at the hands of 12th placed Parramatta. They dropped out of the top eight and their for and against dropped from +48 to -20. Brian Smith stood down after the Parramatta loss, and the player’s lack of effort over those three weeks had its (presumably) desired result.

And so I believe that the Knights players have again thrown their toys out of the cot at their unjust treatment from Wayne Bennett. As it stands, mid-season import Willie Mason (on $40,000 and match payments) is easily the side’s form forward. Other imports, such as Snowden, Buderus, Tahu and Boyd have been among the better performers in the side – adding credence to the theory.

It’s an amazing attitude for professional sportsmen to have. Surely you would expect that with the new benefits at the club mentioned earlier, any player would be keen to put in 100%, prove they were worthy of a spot in the team, and live out their dreams of playing the big games at the end of the season.

It’s by no means a phenomenon unique to Newcastle, either. How many times in recent years have we heard of coaches “losing the dressing room” – more often than not ending in the coaches premature demise? I think most supporters can stomach a lack of skill from their side resulting in a poor season – not all teams will always have the quality of players to challenge for the competition - but the lack of effort is inexcusable. Daniel Anderson, Ivan Henjak and Kevin Moore are three coaches who have fallen victim to it in recent years.

Rugby league players – their own worst enemies. All any supporter asks for is 100% every time they take the field – not when it suits their petty agendas. They might be surprised how far it takes them.

750 words

joshie

Live Update Team
Pedigree

Rugby League players, Rugby League writers and Rugby League referees all have a specific role to play. The player, for obvious reasons, is the most vital piece to the puzzle and will always remain a strong component. The writers are, for the most part, few and far between and when they are good, they are good. And referees, well they are insert expletive but nevertheless without referrers, the sport would not exist; unless you live in Shrovetide.

Either way, each individual piece plays a vital role to the sport and without one another, well we would have nothing. The writers have the social commentary gig covered and this is essential for people to have a grasp on issues at hand. The players are talented individuals who are the centrepiece but is not everything, more or less the faces of each clubs 'campaign'. They provide the entertainment, at the expense of their knee cartilage. Referees officiate and keep players safe. Without referees the game would cease to be anything more than a simple game of "kill Bill", which is if you hold the ball, then we are going to kill you bill. They hold outsider off the field and take actions when required to give the other team an advantage for foul play. All these parts are rare and not many people like or need to play any role; unless your a pedigree.

Now a pedigree is pure, never does anything wrong and is great to look at, but the sporting pedigree is so much more. A man or women who plays, writes or commentates and officiates is the sporting pedigree. They are the entertainment, the voice of reason and the official, wrapped up into one shell of skin.

I am a pedigree.

I have played all my life and the toughness of the game is second to none, it is very demanding and unfortunate on some. Just as I write this, in my match last Wednesday night, I was lifted in a tackle and dropped, my head slammed back to the ground and i was out cold. I continued to play on and fractured a previously broken finger, but all I cared about was the win and the hope the crowd enjoyed the 28-26 result.

Quite obviously, I am a writer and commentator of our game also. I talk about all things rugby league, me and two team mates even stood around trying to decipher why the Storm are so good every year; belief was the outcome. It is a trait few people posses in my opinion and I think I can be pretty good and am improving. My journalism course will complete in three years, and then we will see what happens.

I am a referee on weekends. It is a very tough and demanding job believe it or not. People fail to understand how perceptive a ref has to be, the outside factors such as useless touch judges that are provided and abuse from all angles. You have to Have tough skin and I commend you to train with referees before bagging them.

But there can be some dangers to being a pedigree. Playing is not easy and sometimes can not be fun. There will always be someone out to hurt you and sometimes they suceed. Your body is twisted in more ways than a gymnist cares to know. Look at Buzz Rothfield, being a writer on the game can be a very tough job. He is often criticised by people for his articles and generally they are not supportive of his work. Being a referee also has its downfall! You are constantly abused, everyone hates you from the get go and sometimes you get a sense of danger that rivals none.

Pedigree sports fans are rare and when one comes along you know they love their rugby league. The need for them is also paramount to keep the game going and hopefully these type of people are vying for the top.

Last edited:

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
byrne_rovelli_fan82 for Rabbitohs

~~

The smell of Origin.

Friday May 18th – The air was cold as the temperature dropped, a light drizzle hung in the air and even in the night sky it’s not difficult to spot the dark clouds hoovering around just waiting to drop a nasty surprise.

I felt nervous, excited and curious of what was about to happen. For several months I’d been counting down the days, waiting for that first taste of Origin football. Melbourne, as a city had already played host to this great representative game twice (2009 & 2006).
This year I wasn’t about to miss out and had my tickets booked a year in advance. Now, all the counting was over we were only a few days away before the showpiece event unfolded.

Earlier in the week I had heard the two State of Origin teams would host a meet ‘n’ greet with fans on this Friday, at separate times; Queensland at 12pm and then New South Wales later at 5pm. It was odd, seeing as in 2009 the teams had done it within the hour after each other so one would have to question what had happened between the years forcing them to be separated this time.

While I would have loved to meet both teams, circumstances forced me to choose and I’d opted to only to attend the Blues meet ‘n’ greet. I only had a small window in which to make it from my home in Surrey Hills to Harvey Norman in Springvale and then to the city after for a concert.

After taking three attempts from a train station I’d never visited and a lot of walking I’d finally located the megastore building. People walked around dressed in their Blues jerseys, wearing scarfs and beanies to match and even carried matching balloons. We all looked at one another with nervous smiles and giving the thumbs up signs, while inside of the building shops remained opened, and their windowpanes festively decorated in Blue and Maroon.

Radio Station 3Aw was also there, their booth set up just inside of the entrance.
Fans suddenly poured out f the store gushing in excitement at whom they’ve just met. I strode further inside and to my right; a long rectangular table draped over in a cloth. Low and behold all of the Blues players were lined up and seated from left-to-right and in no order signing autographs, chatting away happily and posing for photos. However, it wasn’t their presence that surprised me the most, instead I was most impressed by … the State of Origin Shield.

I had personally never seen the shield in person at previous meet ‘n’ greet, or maybe it had been there but I missed seeing it. The State of Origin Shield, in all its glory, seated on its own private cream white armchair! A burley and beefed up security mad stood over the chair giving stern looks to everyone; yet he encouraged the fans;
‘Come along and take a photo with the shield’.

Wednesday May 23rd – the day was bright though the temperature was fairly cold but it was exciting. I, unfortunately had uni class during the day so didn’t get a chance to soak up the atmosphere. However when I was headed towards Eithad Stadium it felt like I was walking into a battlefield. Trains were full of blues and maroons supporters and to my surprise all of them were getting along well together just chilling out having a laugh.

The moment the train arrived at Southern Cross Station fans were off and marching like a line of ants to the stadium. Shouts and cheers erupted from both sides, cheering on their beloved team; even the presence of cops didn’t deter anybody’s mood.

Blatchy’s Blues and the Maroon Crusade poured through the gates to their seats, the air all around was one of excitement, nervousness and unsure expectations. Maroons fans of course wanted to see a win, so did the Blues fans but nobody was sure what would happen. Time flew quickly and the pre-match entertainment came to a close. Bums warmed seats while alcoholic drinks and food were easily consumed. The drums rolled and as the teams finally descended upon the field cheers and boos echoed through the closed roof. The PA System asked for all to stand, for the national anthem and everyone sang with pride and passion, but festivities were done. Nothing else mattered. Game on.
~~

735 words between '~' lines, official word counter.

Monk

Referee
695 Words according to the OWC right at the finish.

One Cliché at a time

The fulltime siren sounded. A blank look surveyed the ground as twenty thousand fans stood there, motionless. There were no cheers, no cries of pain. Just a numbing sense of what if... and the hollow consolation that we’d be taking home a point each. I thought about walking over to the local pub, craving a cold one, hoping and praying that it would change my mood. Anything was better than this purgatory I had been stomped into, I’m in shock. How can a game end like that? What happened to “Taking home the two points”? What happened to “Leaving everything on the field”?

Mindlessly I walked out of the stadium, as if my brained had been eaten through. Party-goer John (Whose name was not John, but he had a sensational mullet and reminded me of John Morris - In a good way) threw his stubby on the ground and shouted “What useless forwards we have, they can’t even lay the platform for our halves to take on the line!” His buddy Toothless Bill (whose name was Bill, and he was missing one of his front teeth – In a bad way) responded with a question of his own “How about that try just before half time? It was completely against the run of play!” Bill nodded his head supportively and said “They need to learn to take it one game at a time; they’re getting ahead of themselves”. Bill and John headed up the road towards the Pub leaving me to contemplate my own situation. Eventually I decided to drive home, anything was better than listening to those two blokes spit clichés all night.

I hopped into the car and turned on the radio, knowing what I was in for, yet not fully prepared. “No, no, no, no, no” unfortunately the radio wasn’t broken and stuck on repeat (can car radio’s even do that?). These were the ‘witty’ antics of everyone’s favourite Radio announcer. “He’s spilled his lollies, right at the end, did you see it? What was he thinking?” I was annoyed, not only was this radio announcer just as annoying as Bill and John, but I was getting every single red light and I was just about to lose my mind. I took a quick look at the petrol gage as the traffic came to a stand-still and decided I needed to fill up the ol’ tank. So I kept an eye out for a decent price and eventually settled on a station to fill up at.

“It was a game of two halves that’s for sure” echoed through the door as I walked into the station. Standing at the counter was a middle-aged woman who, by her stench and fondness for not having showers I judged to be a Rabbitohs supporter. The person buying three bottles of ‘Iced Cola’ at the counter agreed muttering a few words to himself then stating “They really needed to do the little things right”. Starting to feel like I was in a twisted version of Alice in Wonderland where I was turning into the Mad-Hatter I quickly paid for my petrol, then hopped back in the ol’ people mover.

As I turned the key and the ignition fired up the radio came on and I heard some ex-player interviewing one of the teams players and I felt the anger build up inside of me. “Yeah, nah, we had them at sixes and sevens a couple of times but we just couldn’t put them away”. “They really set themselves as a benchmark in this competition and they showed that at the back end you know?”

Of course following the conversation about the game they decided to ask this player about any potential representative football fixtures which were coming up “I try not to think about it mate” replied the player. “I keep my mind on the club, but any rep footy would be an honour and I’d take the opportunity with both hands”. I had to turn the Radio off. Much like the football game I just witnessed, I ended the night by myself, feeling numb. It was better than listening to clichés.

Hallatia

Referee
this is most disappointing, I saw that gUt was the last to post in this thread and was really looking forward to reading a gUt piece. I am devastated

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sorry all, don't mean to get your hopes up.

I've been battling for time all day and I've got a hot date tonight. Will finish the reffing Saturday.

Monk

Referee
It's sweet dude. Hope you got that neat little cupcake basket I sent you.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
whistle_2.gif

Chuck Norris Texas Death Ninjas -vs- South Sydney Rabbitohs
Rugby League related: 35%
Originality: 30%
Grammar, punctuation, spelling, formatting: 20%
Do I like it? 10%
Research: 5%
Score: /100

CNTDN

jamesgould
What a Waste!
Comments: Great opening line quoting Adams and connected well with the subject matter. Indeed, it is a waste to see talent shunted aside for self interest.
Words: 750

joshie
Pedigree
Comments: An amusing and very enjoyable piece about being a Rugby League pedigree. A few minor errors.
Words: 665

NINJAS TOTAL: 174

-vs-

SOUTH SYDNEY

byrne_rovelli_fan82
The smell of Origin.
Comments: An enjoyable article outlining the lead up to the opening State of Origin in Melbourne. Well done on getting the reader involved. A few errors.
Words: 735

Monk
One Cliché at a time
Comments: Great read and humourous to boot. If we're not careful, we'll be listening to clichés until the cows come home! Noticed just one spelling error and punctuation error but otherwise the article flowed beautifully.
Words: 696

SOUTHS TOTAL: 176

FINAL SCORE: Souths 176 defeated Ninjas 174
POTM: Monk (Souths)

Thanks to the players for some great reads.

Well played everyone! :thumn

edabomb

First Grade
Well done Souths on the win - best of luck for the rest of the Willow Cup.

Thanks also to Willow for the marks.

Latest posts