What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willow Cup 2012 :: Warriors V Penrith :: Week 2

joshie

Live Update Team
jersey_warriors_1.gif
-V-
jersey_panthers_1.gif

Match Preview: The Warriors have been disappointing all season but are coming off a weeks break, can they finally kick start their year in the Willow Cup? And While they are yet to start, the Panthers are well and truly in attack mode, fresh off a victory over the Bluebags as they advance to stage 2 of the Willow Cup. Who will make the final?

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 3 -V- 3 (+ 4 reserves for Both sides)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php
Official Word Counter: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/wordcount.php

Kick Off: Sunday 3rd June 2012 (6:00pm AEDT)
Full Time: Thursday14th June 2012 (Fulltime is at midnight)
Referee: Non Terminator
Venue: Mt. Smart Stadium
main.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
**Fulltime has been extended til Thursday June 14th, midnight, due to the State of Origin**

LeagueNut

First Grade
LeagueNut (Panthers)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I’ll make him an offer he can’t refuse

Dear Mr Grant,

I know you’re a busy man these days with the new Commission taking up a lot of your time so I’ll try to keep this brief.

Rugby League needs more money. Any fool can see that – the shameless way the game is whored out for every possible income stream has made it a laughing stock.

This shameless whoring, inevitably I suppose, has now attracted the attention of some bigshot Hollywood type producers who see this game as the next big cash cow to be milked in multiplexes all around the country – and even the world.

Therefore I’d like to offer my services in a consultant capacity to make sure Rugby League makes as many dollars as possible. Rugby League has a chequered history of big screen dealings but my fantastic ideas are each well worth the investment it would take – each movie idea a potential blockbuster. You can just picture the crowds rolling in…

Kill Bill: A murder thriller focused on the NRL’s unofficial 17th team – those men in pink. It unravels as a classic “whodunit” tale where the identity of the killer is completely secret until the final credits are just about to role. You’ll be cecchin your closet every night before going to bed…

How To Train Your Dragon: A nearly washed-up nobody with delusions of grandeur finds a Dragon that’s fallen on hard times. The Dragon just wants to reclaim its position at the top of the food chain but the comically inept “Coach” (played beautifully by Rob Schnieder) ends up unintentionally thwarting his own efforts at every turn.

The Princess Bride: The beautiful story of a fragile little princess that gets to live her dream – by playing in the second row for NSW. You’ll laugh and cry as she tries to instigate a brawl in the last few minutes of an Origin clash only to backpedal away at the speed of light.

Double Indemnity: A political / legal thriller set amongst the murky world of player contracts, cheating club officials and incompetent managers higher up the food chain. You’d think it would be easy to prove Player J was receiving two salaries from two different contracts at the same time, and our heroes have a remarkably hard time trying to convince anyone that they were innocent parties in all of this – but will they escape punishment?

Cronulla Sharks And The Holy Grail (a.k.a The Neverending Story): It’s the feel-good story of the summer – the handicapped sports team that just can’t quite crack it for the elusive championship prize. You’ll have tears of happiness welling up inside as you watch them fall at the last hurdle again, and again, and again, and maybe even again.

Raging Bull: A sombre tail of a lonely man who becomes progressively older and significantly less hairy. He’s just trying to make a buck after getting too old, bitter and twisted – will his complete lack of tact, knowledge and humour stand in the way of the rest of the team coming up?

Once Upon A Time In The West: A tale of camaraderie amongst the war. Three competing Lords join forces to crush the spirit of the latest interloper, although on closer inspection it turns out there is no threat and you can continue to work as normal. This new threat is no more stressful than seeing your half-disabled fourth cousin in a wheelchair trying to shoot hoops.

Strangers On A Train: A beautiful love story unfolds between two young thugs who take time out from pointless vandalism and petty crime on city trains until they bump into each other on the way to the footy.

One Swam Into The Eels Nest: A small time wannabe “Rock Star” ruffles some feathers when he arrives at his new club only to find he’s inadvertently landed in a genuine nuthouse with a bunch of mentally geniused footy players. There’s only one way out, and it ain’t pretty…

So there you go – each one a potential classic. They would all leave the possibility of a sequel up in the air (Kill Bill – Volume Two has a nice ring to it) and the merchandising sales would be through the roof. What better way to make money for the great game? – obviously providing you can put these so called “athletes” through a bit of acting training first.

Thank you for your consideration.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

737 words
Source: http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Righto

I am now the Captain of the Warriors.

Team

1. Joshie
2. RCB

RES:

4. Half
5. Warrior Defense
6. Newman
7. Robster

truth is im hoping someone pops up between now and midnight.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
madunit for the Panthers

The First Boss

Henry Clement Hoyle was born on November 20, 1852 in Millers Point, NSW. He attended a convent and a public school during his childhood before entering the workforce aged just 10 at a local sawmill. He became an apprentice blacksmith at 16 years of age before a brief stint working on the docks.

When he was 24 he joined the Railways Department, eventually becoming a foreman. He was a key activist in the iron trade strike of 1882 which lead to him founding and becoming the inaugural president of the Railway and Tramway Association in 1885.

Hoyle was eventually sacked from his role as foreman at the Railways due to his union association in 1890. A year later he joined the NSW Legislative assembly, becoming the Labor member for Redfern for three years.

During this time he set up an auctioneering business in Darling Harbour. After losing the seat of Redfern at the 1894 election, Hoyle began writing for the Freemans Journal, an Irish Catholic publication.

During 1907, there was a growing discontent within Rugby Union player ranks in Australia, leading to a semi-revolt which saw some players keen to create their own competition based on the Northern Union game being played in England.

On August 8, 1907, Hoyle was elected as the inaugural president of the NSWRL, alongside James Giltinan (secretary) and test cricketer Victor Trumper (treasurer). The trio helped finance the birth of Rugby League in Australia.

Later in 1907, the NSWRL had agreed to have a New Zealand Maori team tour Australia in 1908. The tour became embroiled in controversy, further enhanced by the running feud between Hoyle, Giltinan and Trumper with the Maori team management. Horrie Miller, standing in as secretary for the absent Giltinan, paid the Maori team fares home. He would go on to become the NSWRL secretary in 1914, a post he held til 1946.

At the end of the 1908 season, the NSWRL had a debt of £500. A Kangaroo tour to England was proposed to make enough money to cover the debt. The tour was bankrolled by Giltinan and Arthur Rofe (who provided £2000). The tour however was met by abysmal weather and workers strikes in Northern England meaning gate takings were low. Giltinan managed to repay Rofe £1545, but was eventually taken to court by Rofe who sought to recoup the remaining £455. A protracted case dragged on throughout 1914, which eventually ruled Giltinan had to repay the monies. The decision eventually led to Giltinan becoming bankrupt.

In early 1909, Hoyle was initially re-elected as NSWRL President before resigning just ten days later amid allegations of mismanagement. On the same day, Trumper was sacked along with Giltinan, who was en-route to Australia after the Kangaroo tour.

Hoyle’s resignation came about in a heated meeting where he vehemently denied any wrongdoing or improper business practices, but eventually succumbed, to the hordes of accusations and criticisms directed at himself, Giltinan and Trumper.

He was succeeded by E.C.V Broughton, who eventually resigned just a few weeks later, citing ill-health. It was under Broughton that plans to raid the ranks of the rival Rugby Union were hatched.

In April 1909 he was replaced by E.W O’Sullivan.

O’Sullivan lasted four months as president before resigning amid the controversies surrounding the poaching of the Wallabies against his permissions, funding their salaries via an outside entrepreneur in James Joynton-Smith, whom O’Sullivan was strongly opposed.

Hoyle returned to politics in 1910, joining the Labor party to pick up a surprising win for the seat of Surry Hills over the very popular Sir James Graham. He won the seat for a second term in 1913, becoming the Member for Railways and Mines, as well as being an assistant treasurer.

The breakout of war led to many heated discussions in parliament about conscription. Hoyle’s leader and Prime Minister Billy Hughes was adamant that conscription should be enforced, a stance that Hoyle sided with, but he was defeated in two referendums. Hoyle soon after resigned from politics.

Hoyle went back to his auctioneering business, which he ran up until his death on July 20, 1926 at Vaucluse.

His funeral was attended by a large gathering of politicians and former colleagues. One notable omission though was Giltinan.

Horrie Miller was the only attendee to represent Rugby League.

Hoyle died a life member of the NSWRL, a trustee of Taronga Park Zoo, a pioneer in the Unions, the Labor party and Rugby League.

746 words, including title

Source:
http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/
True Blue: The Story Of The NSW Rugby League by Ian Heads

Big Mick

Referee
Big Mick runs out for the Panthers:

e7c713dce6cc5ea7fec4c9dcbcbeb1cd_resized.jpg

My Debut Origin:

The season so far:

For the first 10 rounds of the premiership I had been told I’d been a standout performer for my club and was touted as the next player to don the Blue’s Jersey, even Origin greats had tipped me to make my debut. I was shocked and didn’t know what to think as I got butterflies in my stomach at the thought of representing my state.

As I sat in the dressing sheds after a match I got asked about my possible selection and I just responded with “If I get selected, it would be a huge honour, but right now I’m focussed on playing good footy for Penrith and if I keep standing out then I hope I’m a chance”.

I was so nervous the day the team was announced that I was shaking in anticipation. It was raining that day and a storm was approaching so naturally the signs we’re looking ominous that I would miss selection and have to bide my time. At 12:30pm my heart stopped, the phone was ringing and I nervously answered. Ricky Stuart’s voice was on the other end and he told me “Mate, I’d hate to do this to you, but, you’ve been picked in the starting line up to take on the Maroons in Game Two”. My screams of excitement startled my family, but this rollercoaster was just beginning, my dream was potentially reality.

The Camp:

That night I wandered into Origin Camp, bidding goodbye to my family and friends for a week where my destiny would await. I met all my heroes upon arrival and stood in awe of these origin legends. One by one Benny Ellias, Blocker Roach, Glenn Lazerus & Brad Fittler introduced themselves and told me how proud they were to have me play for NSW and how impressed they with my quality of play this season. I was dumbfounded to say the least.

I was rooming with James Tamau and all night I was too excited to sleep. All night I envisaged those 80 minutes, I thought of the first hit up and who to run against, of my first biff and who to knock out and most of all I dreamt of winning the match for NSW, a state I cherished so much.

The next day I was sluggish at training having had no sleep the night before. Ricky was taunting me with such things as “Come on fat boy, do you think you can keep up with the QLD boys. They’ll run all over you! This is Origin fat boy, come on move!” I was shocked, I had never been coached like that before, but I soon realised what it was for. This aggressive approach aimed to get me ready for battle and what QLD would taunt me with. It was a purposeful exercise in which to become battled hardened and I responded by increasing the intensity and rising to the occasion, exactly what Ricky wanted from me.

Throughout the week Origin greats visited, telling the boys about their experiences and what it meant to wear the NSW jumper. Greats like Girdler, Harrigan, Roach and Mortimer all reminded us that wearing the Blues jumper was a privilege and it is the most precious thing in Rugby League and to cherish every minute. They said to have pride in the jumper but most of all to kill ourselves for the common cause that is a NSW victory.

Match Day:

The day has arrived, the preparation was over and it was time for battle. I had worked all my life to achieve this dream and it was finally here. I walked into the change rooms and everyone else’s jersey was hung up but mine. I turned around and saw my smiling team-mates gathered around me as Ricky came up and gave me my first ever NSW jersey with some words of advice “Bleed for me, bleed for your team-mates, but most of all bleed for the might of NSW!”

The nerves were making my body quiver as I put on my jersey, I took three deep breathes, I knew what was required. I will do my family proud, my team-mates proud, but most of all I’ll do my state proud. I will push my body to limits it hasn’t been pushed to before, because that’s what greats do for the might of NSW.

This performance is for my club! My community! My state! CATTLEDOG! Game on!

746 Words (OWC)

NOTE: This post is purely fiction, no quotes are attributable to Ricky Stuart or Tim Grant

Last edited:
Well.
im going to bed.

hope i get a team going.

Russell Crowe's Band hits it up for the Warriors.

749 words between the *****

Looking out for Number One - You!

Now that The Australian Rugby League Commissions is operational and moving forward with a strategic direction into the future, it is this authors opinion that we the fans should be rewarded for our continued support of the game that we love.
A thank you, if you will for all the stumbles, setbacks and failings of the post super league war era.

Let’s face it. Without those that play the game at junior level, volunteer at junior clubs, purchase tickets, merchandising and pay television subscriptions the game would not be in the strong position it is today.

Rugby league has long been hamstrung by its dual ownership by News Limited and the Australian Rugby League. This has led to a lack of revenue in the game from a weak TV deal (in comparison to the Australian Football League)in the end it's you, the average league fan that loses out.
This dual interest has led to a game that never made the money it should of, never capitalised on the ratings and the support of its fan base. As a result the players we support leave for England or other sports.
Some of our clubs are on a knife edge financially and the general fan experience across the league is not what it should be.

For a start, When the ARLC signs off on the new Television deal, the league should ensure that every game is LIVE on television. Whether it is on Nine, Seven, Ten, MTV or the Special Broadcasting Service. This is of course 2012 and Doomsday may be upon us.
The National Rugby League consumer has smart phone technology with instant internet access and yet the Free to Air broadcaster insists on showing games on delay. What year does Channel Nine think it is? We want live free to air Rugby League in this era of instant communication. It is not a difficult concept to grasp and yet two out of the three Free to Air broadcast matches are delayed.

The ARLC should also ensure that with co operation with the broadcasters that the season draw is a fully fixed schedule with a fairer rotation of free to air games to all of its clubs. More Free to air games gives your club greater sponsorship opportunity. It also allows families to plan ahead for school holidays and travel to more games. At present, when each round is released throughout the season, fans are at the mercy of what games the broadcasters believe will rate on their station the best. The league should do more to encourage fans to get to games, buy memberships and support their club at the ground and having a full draw to plan this would be a real help to families.
These changes are of course contingent on negotiations with the broadcasters. However it would be nice to know when my team is playing every game of the season in advance.

 

Something the League could do that would be a great gesture to its fans would be to make the fan experience a little bit lighter on the hip pocket. This is the people’s game after all.
An official licensed adult NRL club jersey is $159.99 at the store, at the club and at the game. This is an insane price for fans to fork out to wear their clubs colours. In this authors opinion that is far too expensive. It would make sense that lowering the price of the official merchandising would see an upturn in merchandising revenue. If the league was proactive, it would move to a merchandising model similar to the NFL or NBA, where one company manufactures the leagues official licensed playing attire. This way the league could have an agreed retail price with the manufacturer, as well as a set of guidelines for how sponsorship is incorporated onto the playing jerseys. Too often are National Rugby League jerseys tarnished with large lame looking boxes on the front of the playing jersey. Better looking merchandising would also see a rise in sales. If the jersey looks better more people will buy it. If the strip is cheaper and is more visually appealing, there’s no way that the league would lose out.

The ARLC has a golden opportunity to cash in on the sports increasing popularity whilst giving back to the fans that have stuck solid through the tough times. One can only hope that the fans voice is heard at head office.

Monk

Referee
RCB deserves an amazing pat on the back for standing by the Warriors though all this.

All round a quality group of articles though.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
That's the spirit of the F7s RCB, great effort. I'm sure the Warriors will rally behind you when round 4 kicks off.

joshie

Live Update Team
Sorry RCB! Had something going but in the end, just couldn't meet the deadline for the Panthers.

Good luck to you though mate!

Big Mick

Referee
All the respect in the world for RCB.

Well done mate.

I know the feeling, apart from Nut & Unit we seemed to have lost contact with a number of guys making it a struggle for any other part of this competition other than this one right now.

I do apologise for making the markings brief and late, but going through a house inspection today has slaughtered me, so instead of having them ready tomorrow, I'll quickly do it all now.

Penrith

LeagueNut - I'll Make Him An Offer He Can't Refuse - 84
A decently written humour-based piece, something that is getting done a lot these days, especially when relating to movie titles. Nicely written, but not the most original thing to do at this time.

MadUnit - The First Boss - 86
A well researched piece, informative, flowing nice to fit a life story within the word limit.

Big Mick - My Debut Origin - 84
A look on the potential thoughts of a man in recent attention. Builds up nice throughout the piece.

Auckland

Russell Crowe's Band - Looking Out For Number One - You! - 85
A piece looking at the potentials that can be brought out by the ARLC, well written with plenty of well written remarks.

Penrith Panthers 254
Auckland Warriors 85
POTM Madunit

Latest posts