What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 - WARL Harvey Norman Premiership

Any News from around the grounds?

For me i was at the Fremantle and Rockingham game sitting up on the Balcony enjoying a nice cold water. From the outset Rocky was in control and played a very physical game and well structured and their defense was solid. Although they did lapse at times but they held their nerve to a pretty convincing win (Although the score line doesn't suggest that). Fremantle never looked up to the standard of Rockingham and never looked at winning the game. Little halfback Jonathon Presley played his part for the Roosters but there was no go forward from the forwards and silly mistakes didn't give the Roosters much opportunity. Lock Forward Josh Simms for the Sharks played an outstanding game along with the Sharks front row of Blake Nicholls and im not sure of the other blokes name but a big strong Kiwi that looks like Mr T and my god can he pack a punch on the fringes. Delane Edwards was at fullback once again but running like a front rower and should be put in the back row. The Roosters have a good run home into the finals playing 6th,7th and 8th place as well as south perth so they should win 3 if not all of their remaining games. Rockingham have a tougher run home with North Beach next weekend in Rockingham which will be hands down the game of the year thus far and possibly a grand final preview, Then have Goldfields away then Bulldogs and South Perth. For my 8 years in WA and following the WARL this is definitely the best and closest year i have seen, any team can win on their day.

I love my Rugby League

Perth Red

Post Whore
wow what a score on Sth Perth, biggest loss ever? Beach must really have been on their game.

Thought Freo might have kicked on this year and been top, disapointed to see Giants mid table again.

You're not wrong Perth Red. I think its the return of Craig Phillis that has stepped up the North Beach team! Phillis and Doeg are lethal and will be hard to stop come finals time

Fremantle have been a big disappointment for me this year too. Taj Mailata has been the biggest disaster this year. He was a revelation last year but looks 20kgs over weight and not interested. Delane to fullback hasnt paid paid off. With the loss of their hooker to a back injury isnt helping either along with losses in the forward pack with Ben McCrone and Halfback Rowan Hastings to Rockingham they have lost direction and a solid kicking game. The only highlights would be picking up Samson Graham and little Jonathon Presley.

North Beach Vs Rockingham will be a massive game for both teams and will probably decide who gets the week off come finals time. I know rockingham has a tough run home, but if they win this game surely they take care of South perth and Bulldogs. Word is Phillis is not playing the Rockingham game, which is surely a loss. But as their coach said in his press release, they have massive depth, which Rockingham do not.Injury cloud hanging over a few players from the sharks. Will be a cracker and i will be there as a keen observer

Really looking forward to this weeks game. It will have to be hands down the game of the season with both teams on a massive winning streak, North Beach (8) and Rockingham (6) with the winner of this game surly going through the remainder on the round matches undefeated and Minor Premiers. Both teams boasting a booming forward pack and experience with 2 class hookers in Matt Doeg (Beach) and Andrew Jeffery (Sharks) and with the exclusion of North Beach 5/8 Craig Phillis the Sharks will have the edge on Beach with Halves Caleb reedy and Rowan Hastings with both boasting an exceptional kicking game and Caleb Reedy's running game North Beach will be weary and on their toes. On the other hand you have the outside backs of North Beach with Booming centre Ben Taylor running Havoc down the right edge and Ben Dickson being unpredictable in his play the Sharks will be looking to shut those 2 players out of the game along with fast paced Jason Godecke at the back the Sharks will have to be smart where they place the ball. I cant pick a winner for this much just yet but am keen a eager to get down and watch this one play out.

Goldthorpe

Bench

The Run Home
01. North Beach Sea Eagles - R13: vs. Giants, R14: vs. Goldfields [WIN]
02. Rockingham Sharks - R13: vs. Bulldogs, R14: @ Lions
03. South Perth Lions - R13: @ Roosters, R14: vs. Sharks
04. Kalamunda Bulldogs - R13: @ Sharks, R14: @ Giants
05. Fremantle Roosters - R13: vs. Lions, R14: vs. Bears

North Beach Sea Eagles - 12W & 1L +389 24p
With the Titans pulling out for the comp for the rest of the season, Beach are guarenteed a W in the last round. 2 win's from the next 2 rounds to give them a well deserved Minor Premiership

Rockingham Sharks - 9W & 3L +338 18p
The Sharks have a tough run home playing against #4 Bulldogs & #3 Lions, I'd say they will go 1-1 and finish on 20p

South Perth Lions - 8W & 4L +301 16p
Again the Lions play against fellow top 4 sides the Roosters and Sharks. I think they can win both games and finish on 22p

Kalamunda Bulldogs - 8W & 4L +126 16p
IF the much improved Bulldogs want to gain some momentum into the finals they need to beat the Sharks down at Rockingham, I believe they will go 1-1 and finish on 18p

Fremantle Roosters - 7W & 5L +154 14p
The Roosters have a tough game against the Lions and then take on the Bears at Ken Allen, I believe South Perth will be too strong for them and they will finish on 16p

With my predictions the Top 5 should finish
01. North Beach Sea Eagles 28p
02. South Perth Lions 22p
03. Rockingham Sharks 20p
04. Kalamunda Bulldogs 18p
05. Fremantle Rooster 16p

How does the final system work?

Lol your predictions are pretty good.

Cept if south perth go 2 and 2 they will finish on 20 points :) unless you get 3 points for a win lol

Goldthorpe

Bench
Lol your predictions are pretty good.

Cept if south perth go 2 and 2 they will finish on 20 points :) unless you get 3 points for a win lol
..... it's not even beer o'clock yet. Cheers PRL.

With my predictions the Top 5 should finish
01. North Beach Sea Eagles 28p
02. Rockingham Sharks 20p [on F & A]
03. South Perth Lions 20p
04. Kalamunda Bulldogs 18p
05. Fremantle Rooster 16p

How does the final system work?

joondalup_giant

Staff member
1st get the week off.
2nd play 3rd.
4th play 5th - loser eliminated

(game 1) Winner of 2nd v 3rd play 1st - winner gets spot in GF
(game 2) Winner of 4th v 5th play loser of 2nd v 3rd - loser eliminated

Loser of "Game 1" plays winner of "Game 2" - winner gets spot in GF

Hope that makes sense.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Looking at the wikipedia page for the WARL. The list of past premiers shows clubs like canning, belmont, victoria park, applecross.

What ever happpened to them with regard folding etc.... Just curious

Also any prospect of south west warriors fielding in 1st grade? My understanding is they are currently in reserves only

Kurt Angle

First Grade
At it's peak in 1994, the WARL senior comp fielded 12 teams, plus others in minor grades. It was played in 70 schools, and in prior times the WARL grand final was shown on local TV.

Belmont I believe become Eastern Bulldogs, become Kalamunda. Applecross folded a few years back after sort of fielding a South Perth lower grades feeder team. I sort of recall they wore Applecross socks with a South Perth jersey and shorts.

I think Vic Park merged with Belmont/Kalamunda, and Canning.. dunno.. absorbed by South Perth perhaps?

With the closure of the REDS, this all crashed. God I remember in 2003 watching a god awful Rockingham Raiders play South Perth, I think there were 5 or 6 clubs in first grade at that point. The Raiders merged with Coastal Sharks to what we have now.

It was a real dark time and you would not have been thought of as crazy to think RL would disappear all together around 10 years ago but that said a lot of credit has to be given to the hard work of people who have lifted the WARL back up again, particularly North Beach, Joondalup and Rockingham.

Willagee were a lower grades team for Fremantle for a while before being able to go alone, but they still look to be a reserve grade quality team playing first grade, they are perennial jobbers.

Teams I know that disappeared are Marangaroo, Mosmon Park-Cottesloe.

The closure of the Reds caused massive damage. From an area that probably had the quality of the whole of Illawarra RL, to something that right now would be a weak district A-grade area in Sydney.

It took 50 years to build it up last time.

Last edited:

Swamp

Juniors
Most, if not all clubs had 1st, Reserve, Colts & perhaps a 3rd grade team during the early 90's. Most also had junior teams from 7's up. With the Reds inception in 95 the comp was filled with Reds reserve grade players in 94. However, for mine the tougher comp was the year before with a lot more older heads still running around. GF day would see a crowd of about 5000 at its peak with high quality games.
Over the years there were a scattering of high quality players in the comp which provided the local born & bred players with good experience. I played with several guys that could of gone onto much bigger things if they had been born on the other side of the country.
The Reds thoroughly deserved their spot in the comp due to the WARL in establishing the game over many years of hard work but really should have stuck with the ARL instead of jumping ship to Super League. It may not have saved them but they certainly shot themselves in the foot IMO. Should WA not be re-admitted this time around I believe the game will start to suffer once again. It really needs an injection of funds & much better exposure. I do also believe however that if they get the nod the Force are in for a rude shock with membership uptake & will for at least it's initial years draw better crowds.

Goldthorpe

Bench
Belmont, Brothers, Canning Eastern Districts, Midland and Armadale basically make up Central Districts which turned into Kalamunda Bulldogs.

Armadale merged with Eastern Districts to make up Central Districts at the start of 2007. The agreement was for the side to play in the Bulldogs jerseys at home games and in the Rabbitohs jerseys at away games. That didn't eventuate. That's in the constitution of Central Districts.

As for old teams, I could only think of:
Applecross Jets [Blue and Gold]
Armadale Rabbitohs/Warriors [Red and Green]
Belmont Steelers [Black and Sliver]
Brothers [Black and Green]
Canning Bulldogs [Blue and White]
Kalamunda Bulldogs [Blue and White and Red and Green]*
Eastern Bulldogsz [Blue and White]
Fremantle Roosters [Red, White and Blue]*
Joondalup Giants [Maroon, Yellow and White]*
Goldfields Titans [Blue, Yellow and White]*
Mandurah Monarchs [Blue, White and Yellow]
Marrangaroo Bulls [Blue and Red]
Midland Gators [Blue, Yellow and White]
Mosman Park Cottesloe Tigers [Black and Orange]
North Beach Sea Eagles [Maroon and White]*
Rockingham Raiders/Sharks [Green, White, Blue and Yellow, Blue and Black]*
Sorrento Dolphins [Green and White]
South Perth Lions [Red and White]*
South West Warriors [Grey and Black]*
Willagee Bears [Black and Red]*

*Current WARL clubs

I remember back in 1995 when I was playing Under 15's that we had a competition of about approx 15 teams and hardly any teams were short on players, so that would be over 200 players just for the Under 15 age group.

While I still love my Rugby League and my family is still involved with the local competition, I'd only go to games if I absolutely have nothing to do on a Saturday afternoon.

I seriously think that the WARL competition needs a lot of work and a whole lot of professionalism needs to be brought in. They don't have much attention to detail [ladders aren't updated regularly].

Don't get me wrong they still have some positives, I think League Talk on 91.3 is excellent and listen to it every Friday but even then it seems they talk about the same ol WARL favourite players.

I think it will take me a lot of convincing to see the WARL moving forward to build the game for me to get involved full time with a club.

albert

Juniors
2012 Grand Final to be played at North Beach. Combining junior and senior grand finals on the same day.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Belmont, Brothers, Canning Eastern Districts, Midland and Armadale basically make up Central Districts which turned into Kalamunda Bulldogs.

Armadale merged with Eastern Districts to make up Central Districts at the start of 2007. The agreement was for the side to play in the Bulldogs jerseys at home games and in the Rabbitohs jerseys at away games. That didn't eventuate. That's in the constitution of Central Districts.

As for old teams, I could only think of:
Applecross Jets [Blue and Gold]
Armadale Rabbitohs/Warriors [Red and Green]
Belmont Steelers [Black and Sliver]
Brothers [Black and Green]
Canning Bulldogs [Blue and White]
Kalamunda Bulldogs [Blue and White and Red and Green]*
Eastern Bulldogsz [Blue and White]
Fremantle Roosters [Red, White and Blue]*
Joondalup Giants [Maroon, Yellow and White]*
Goldfields Titans [Blue, Yellow and White]*
Mandurah Monarchs [Blue, White and Yellow]
Marrangaroo Bulls [Blue and Red]
Midland Gators [Blue, Yellow and White]
Mosman Park Cottesloe Tigers [Black and Orange]
North Beach Sea Eagles [Maroon and White]*
Rockingham Raiders/Sharks [Green, White, Blue and Yellow, Blue and Black]*
Sorrento Dolphins [Green and White]
South Perth Lions [Red and White]*
South West Warriors [Grey and Black]*
Willagee Bears [Black and Red]*

*Current WARL clubs

I can remember playing against a junior side called Alexander Knights in the mid 90's and Wanneroo Scarborough played in blue and yellow.

albert

Juniors
Grand Final Results:

First Grade: North Beach 17 d Fremantle 10
Premier Grade: Willagee 42 d Fremantle 0
Under 18's: Kalamunda 40 d Rockinhgam 14
WLT: Kalamunda 8 d Fremantle 0

Latest posts