What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

History of the Premiership Trophy

Coleworld

Juniors
With Grand Final week opon us, I was curious to know if the winners of the NRL premiership get a replica of trophy to have in their trophy cabinet. For example does Canterbury have a Winfield cup with their 2004 Premiership at Canterbury leagues?. Did Melbourne have their trophy cabinet raided? For the salary cap scandal.

Or is it a case of just getting a badge on the trophy? And holding the trophy for one season before giving it back. I think having a trophy made every season would be better for the winning club to keep.

Thoughts?

Maybe they should. But they don't. Seems a bit late to start now. But maybe they could start and give the other clubs who have won retrospective trophies. There's only been 12 premiership winners in the NRL so it's not that many.

Canard

Immortal
With Grand Final week opon us, I was curious to know if the winners of the NRL premiership get a replica of trophy to have in their trophy cabinet. For example does Canterbury have a Winfield cup with their 2004 Premiership at Canterbury leagues?. Did Melbourne have their trophy cabinet raided? For the salary cap scandal.

Or is it a case of just getting a badge on the trophy? And holding the trophy for one season before giving it back. I think having a trophy made every season would be better for the winning club to keep.

Thoughts?

I was walking around AAMI Stadium a month or so ago and Im positive I saw the trophy in a cabinent in one of the supporter shops. And the cabinent at the Brisbane Red Hill Leagues Club is full of them.

Surely its not a replica, they wouldn't be that expensive to make would they?

The JJ Giltinan shield on the other hand.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What would be the point in winning the thing if you didn't get a replica to keep?

ek999

First Grade
What happened to the Winfield Cup trophy? Did the Bulldogs keep it because they were last ones to win it before it became the Optus Cup?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i think they do have replica trophies. i seem to recall someone from the nrl going to melbourne to reclaim some trophies after they were stripped. they got stripped afetr losing to manly so they had no reason to still have an original

Canard

Immortal
So the Winfield Cup that Canberra dropped of there motorcade and broke, was handed to another team the next season (actually did Canberra win it again?).

Surely not.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
What happened to the Winfield Cup trophy? Did the Bulldogs keep it because they were last ones to win it before it became the Optus Cup?

The winfield cup is sitting just past reception at British American tobacco head office in eastgardens.

The storm have two replicas on display in a cabinet down the players tunnel, 99 and 07.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I was certain I read something about the Bulldogs still having the final Winfield Cup trophy?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So the Winfield Cup that Canberra dropped of there motorcade and broke, was handed to another team the next season (actually did Canberra win it again?).

Surely not.
Only the base broke and it was fully repaired within days. I'm fairly certain that the trophy is passed on year to year.

. Let's go back before there was no Provan/Summons type statue and just the JJ Gilitan shield - teams didn't get to keep that either.

Last edited:

Fire

First Grade

Thoughts?

Nah mate, no replicas. When we had it, the trophey was in the entrance to the Leagues, and rotated between Kogarah and Wollongong.

But, as soon as Manly won it, it went straight to their Leagues Club *sigh*

In my personal opinion, there shouldn't be replicas. The players work hard to win it and have it on display. Once someone else wins it, the prestige that goes with having it in your club should apply to them, no-one else.

Canard

Immortal
Only the base broke and it was fully repaired within days. I'm fairly certain that the trophy is passed on year to year.

Really so its perpetual? Like an amateur sporting club? That beggars belief.

If so they should retain the names of the past winners on the thing, to give it some tradition.

It's always been passed on as far as i know, each year come Finals time the previous years winner hands it over to the NRL and they display it til GF day and then the new premiers take it home with them til the next finals series.

Why would anyone think it was just a replica every year?

If they were going to give one each year it should be a different trophy, like a mini-NRL trophy or something completely different, but the same each year if you know what I mean. Having said that the players all get a ring every year so it's not as if the team doesn't get anything.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Really so its perpetual? Like an amateur sporting club? That beggars belief.

If so they should retain the names of the past winners on the thing, to give it some tradition.

It has plaques with the year and winners around the base. IIRC 2007 and 2009 are now blank.

Latest posts