What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Nutrition Thread

Cliffhanger

Coach
Whenever you're trying to achieve any body goals, whether you get there or not is dependent on your nutrition habits even more than your training.

Thought I'd just make a main thread for nutrition where I will put some general tips and just go through some of the standard approaches for weight loss, weight gain and general healthy eating.

I am going to put this out there early, NUTRITION IS NOT BLACK AND WHITE everybody's body responds differently to different things, my goal here is just to provide with as much knowledge and resources as I can and allow you to make up your own mind about what will work for you. Your personal trainer should always be you because nobody knows your body like you do! What I can do is explain to you a bit of the science in relation to energy and nutrient break down.

adamkungl

Immortal
Currently trying to lose fat without losing muscle...

trying to stay 500 cal under maintence level and eat ~150g protein a day. Going ok-ish but it all falls to bits come the weekend.

Aiming for 10% body fat.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I reckon that people not willing to stuff their faces full of chicken is the cause of the majority of weight lifting progression stalling. Obviously the law of diminishing returns apply but I know guys who believe its impossible for them to get to 150 deadlift and when I ask what they eat it seldom includes a pizza covered in olive oil.

I'm trying to cut some fat so the big lifts are off the menu but if people are serious about size and strength gains they need to commit to serious eating. Most skinny guys who claim they are hard gainers are simply unwilling to munch on food 24 hours a day.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Here is a good recipe for weight gain.

Get a pile of mince, add olive oil and cook then start cracking eggs into it. Add to a pile of rice.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Eating clean generally works best for cutting body fat (caveman works well because it can be a permanent thing unlike cutting calories, you don't even have to pay attention to your calories, get your carbs from fruits and veggies only, eat nuts and meat, you'll full fuller and your body just runs better.). Have one day off a week so you don't go insane. But make sure it's on a day you're training.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I wouldn't actually bother and depending on how much you are lifting I'd cut back like 80 percent with a slightly higher rep range. It takes ages to lose strength. At least for me personally.

Edit

Obviously I mean cut back 20 percent lol to 80 percent.

Last edited:

Cliffhanger

Coach
If you're just starting out you can lose weight while making strength well technically they're not strength gains, it's your neural pathways opening up.

adamkungl

Immortal
I wouldn't actually bother and depending on how much you are lifting I'd cut back like 80 percent with a slightly higher rep range. It takes ages to lose strength. At least for me personally.

Edit

Obviously I mean cut back 20 percent lol to 80 percent.

I'm not aiming for massive improvements or anything at the moment, it's just noticeably slower and tougher. But yeah it's not my primary goal at the moment.

dogslife

Coach
I'm in Kungl's boat. Pretty disciplined during the week, but the wheels fall off on the weekend

Cliffhanger

Coach
There's always a trade off. Especially as you get older.

I recommend you guys eat more meat and cut out gluten.

There is nothing wrong with Gluten.

During the week I eat mostly meat and veg for dinner. My snacks include carrot sticks, celery sticks, capsicum sticks, beans and almonds. Breakfast is weet bix. Lunch might be a soup or sanga.

Weekends include beer, take away, chocolate. Stupid body doesn't realise that it is only 2 days unhealthy and decides to keep my love handles even after smashing myself running and what not during the week.

Cliffhanger

Coach
A lot of people are likely to be gluten intolerant without knowing it.

When I'm eating properly, I go for a high fat and protein breakfast something like salmon cakes (canned salmon, lsa, protein powder, some diced sweet potato and eggs). I make a strawberry and banana smoothie post workout. Spinach, Rocket, beetroot, breast chicken salad for lunch. During my climbing session I have a banana. Pre climbing, some nuts and maybe a high protein energy bar. Post climbing wpi with water, and then cooked spinach and meat for dinner and some natural yoghurt with sliced cucumbers.

I end up dropping a few kilos in the first week. Really defined abs after five days.

Never feel hungry, energy is good (and I spend a lot of time training), still make decent strength gains.

Just keep eating the same thing everyday. It works.

adamkungl

Immortal
Can happily live without chocolate, biscuits, chips, any of that shit. barely touch the stuff, don't buy it.

Pizza is my weakness. I can't wait til im back on a bulking diet :lol:

Hi all. New here, and this thread really caught my eye.

Just turned 27 and I've noticed that my metabolism is not enough to keep myself in shape with my food intake anymore. I've always relied on it and just being naturally fit, so it was a bit of a shock two weeks ago when I chipped in for a touch team who were a player short. 20 mins in, hands on knees and sucking in some serious diesel. Looks like the days of smashing down a carton of beer the night before and shrugging it off the next morning are over :(

So last week, gym membership signed up for, and I've revamped my diet. Replaced anything white with its wholegrain/brown equivalent. Bought in fish (which I like anyway ) and I got a few joint supplements from the chemist (194cm and about 94Kg, I was always a bit uneasy about my knees )

I know myself, so I'm not going to be able to cut out everything bad for myself. So I'll still have a few beers and other bad stuff, just in more... moderation.

First few weeks I just want to get used to the new lifestyle (swimming at 5:30am twice a week!) before I set myself some goals for the end of next year.

I might even keep a diary.

Snoochies

First Grade
I started the Warrior diet bout 4 months ago and haven't looked back.

Basic premise is under eat during the day and feast at night. During the day I'll only have a banana and a shake after my workout (lots of water) then have a big feast at night. I start by eating a bowl of vegies or salad, followed up by steak, chicken or whatever is going and then some carbs. Then I usually eat some fruit and yogurt, toast with peanut butter and protein shake.

I've done the 6 meals a day for years and barely moved the scales, tried this one and have lost 8kg and feel so much more energetic which you would think would be the opposite with not eating and my workouts haven't suffered.

The diet goes against everything that is being taught but after trying it out it has worked for me and feel great.

http://warriordiet.com/
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113316481&page=1

Cliffhanger

Coach
There are a lot of studies which show that it doesn't matter what time you eat but getting the right amounts of food etc. This probably works because you end up with a calorie deficit.

Snoochies

First Grade
I was suss when I first tried it but thought there was only one way to find out. I'm still having the same calories and don't feel bad if I eat more than I should. The diet says to not count calories and stop eating when you are more thirsty than hungry but I'm making sure I'm eating mostly good stuff :)

I remember eating the 6 meals and especially after my lunch time meal I would always feel tired and by the time I got home in the afternoon and I was lethargic. For whatever reason I don't know but when not eating during the day I get extra energy in the afternoon. My weight sessions are still going strong and I find I'll eat more on weight training days.

The one thing I love about this diet is the enjoyment of eating again especially when we head out to BBQ's and what not.

Latest posts