What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Doust about Dragons' future

nrlnrl

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...g-big-name-coach/story-fni3g9a3-1226673986617

DRAGONS boss Peter Doust says under-fire coach Steve Price has the full support of the board - for now.

Sitting second-last on the NRL ladder, St George Illawarra take on the high-flying Roosters on Saturday night and another lop-sided scoreline will only mount further pressure on Price.

Doust opened up to The Daily Telegraph’s Paul Crawley about Price’s future beyond this season and while offering his support, Doust didn’t rule out chasing a “top tier” coach for 2015 after the Dragons missed out on Craig Bellamy.

Doust also explained why Jamie Soward had to go mid-season - and why he has confidence 2014 won’t be another “building year”.

PC: Steve Price is signed until the end of next year. Are you convinced he is the right man for the job?

PD: I think it is clear from the experiences we have had in recent years we respect the top tier coaches and what they can deliver to a football team. Our most recent experience with Wayne Bennett is evidential of that. We were certainly interested in recruiting Craig Bellamy, it is no secret we went hard to try and convince Craig to come to the Dragons. But in saying that, when we evaluated that option not being available to us, Steve Price had a lot of credentials that we had evaluated in the past as being suitable for the job at the Dragons.

PC: So are you convinced he is the right man for the job?

PD: Yeah, we were when we made that decision in the first instance post Wayne’s decision to leave the club. You need to make a decision at some point early enough in the year to give people some direction as far as the future year is concerned in respect to recruitment and employment of individuals. We thought at that time we needed to make a decision and we extended the contract for one year. We thought at the time that was relevant to the roster he had been dealing with, particularly in 2012, was one that he had not had any real involvement in putting together.

PC: There is no question he has come in on the back-end of a premiership-winning team with ageing players.

Dragons boss Peter Doust, with Bulldogs boss Todd Greeneberg. File picture
PD: That's right, we viewed 2011 and '12 as not having much to do with his input even though he was able to participate in the extension of certain players and he recruited some quality players as well so it wasn't all negative circumstances.

PC: I see where you are coming from but at the end of the day fans want success and they want it now. They don't want it in 2015, do they?

PD: Fans are entitled to expect performance from their football team but informed supporters understand how competitive this competition is. They understand the impact injuries can have on rosters and I think it is fair comment over many years this NRL competition has been won by the teams that minimise their injuries and put their best team on the paddock on a continuing basis.

PC: Can I put this to you: You have signed Steve until the end of next season after missing out on Craig Bellamy. Are you chasing a top coach for 2015?

PD: At this present time we are focussed on what we can achieve with our team, both coaching and player strength-wise, at this point in time and there is no activity around that at the moment.

PC: So have you made any enquiries at all in regard to a coach like Michael Maguire who is coming off contract then?

PD: No I haven't.

PC: Interested?

PD: I think Michael is committed to the Rabbitohs but in saying that I haven't made any enquiries so I haven't got any comment to make on that.

PC: Jamie Soward. What's the real story behind his mid-season release. Did he have a personality clash with Steve Price?

PD: No he didn't. In saying that these sort of circumstances, personality circumstances, are always at play in a football club. But the way the board understood that, and that includes me, was that there were genuine feeling of his contribution to team performance and day-to-day activities were not up to the standards that were being set.

PC: What's that mean, he wasn't training hard enough, he had a bad attitude?

PD: His performance on the field and day to day was not up to the standards that the coaching staff and senior players had set and were setting. He was dropped, it happens. In saying that it was his choice to apply for a release and I would more want to acknowledge the contribution he made.

PC: Where did it go wrong with him. When Wayne was there he played Origin football and you won a comp with him. Since he has played like a busted?

PD: I don't want to go into where it went wrong.

PC: Why? That's what the fans want to know?

PD: I am answering the question about what happened this year. Going back to the past is not necessarily going to do anything for our circumstances which we are focussed on at the moment - supporting a team and a coaching staff with what they can achieve this year.

PC: You went and bought Gareth Widdop for next year and I think everyone would agree he was a good buy. Now he has busted his hip and that is a really hard injury to come back from. How did that make you feel?

PD: You don't want to see any individual go through an injury of that nature because they are quite rare and not easily managed. But in saying that our advice from our performance staff and medical staff at the Storm is that if you can have an injury like that it is as good as it gets. There wasn't a lot of damage and therefore recovery should be if the rehab is managed effectively, I think we can be confident he will recover from it but in saying that there haven't been many cases in point.

PC: Do you expect him to be right for the start of the season, is that the indication you have got off the Storm?

PD: Well we still have a way to go. They say the early period of rehab is the important period to set the foundation but as I say I am confident he understands the circumstances of his needs and in a month or so we will know a lot more. I am confident he will recover from the injury fully.

PC: Do you go out and try and sign another half/five-eighth as insurance?

PD: In terms of our recruitment we haven't finished fulfilling our objectives for our roster for 2014 but I'd rather focus on 2013, that's what you wanted to enquire about.

PC: Okay, we'll focus on 2013. You're second last on the ladder, you have the second worst attack in the NRL with only Parramatta behind you. What do you put it down to?

PD: Let me say this, as an organisation we are certainly not happy with our performance on the field, that is clearly a disappointment for us all. And again, the board and senior management are asking plenty of questions about that performance and why it is. In saying that it is a very long season and we are not drawing detailed conclusions at this point. We are just focussing on supporting the team and their capacity to do what they can to improve results. Now is not the time to evaluate the season.

PC: Dragons fans are the type that demand success, don't they? You are up there with Souths as probably the most famous clubs in rugby league. Do you hear the blow-ups they are making at the moment?

PD: Mate I stay in very close contact with a lot of channels that support the Dragons. You know we are at the forefront of the games in terms of contact with our supporter base. We completed a Red V forum with members on Monday night and that is something we actively pursue. We are not trying to avoid the fact that we are unhappy with the performance but at this point in time we are focused on supporting the team and the coaching staff to do their best.

PC: Can you categorically guarantee Steve Price will be coaching the Dragons in 2014?

PD: As I said to you the decisions in relation to the coaching staff are board decisions and at this point in time the board is evaluating, as is senior management, the performance of the team and they are not focussed on anything other than supporting the team and the coaching staff in their immediate opportunities for performance.

PC: You happy with your recruitment for next year?

PD: No, as I said, I haven't finished it yet.

PC: Because if you put your line up, as of this Saturday night, up against the Roosters line up, on paper you have a long way to go?

PD: Plenty of pundits have come awry with looking at teams on paper. We are unhappy with the available roster we have at the moment. We have a number of people with long-term injuries.

PC: You got good money to spend?

PD: Well we have been spending but we haven't finished yet but let's talk about what we've got to do at the moment. Our injuries, we lost Kyle Stanley in the pre-season, we lost Gerard Beale after the early rounds, (Matt) Cooper has been down for some time. Dan Hunt is out this week. We've got difficulties with our available man power and this is what I said before, history will tell you the teams that are there at the end are the ones that have a minimum amount of injuries to deal with.

PC: Fair enough, thanks for your time.

PD: You didn't ask me about our crowds.

PC: Do you want to talk about them, they are down significantly this year, a few thousand at least from when Wayne was at the club?

PD: Well, you wrote about it the other day so I thought I would explain that if you looked across the board most of the clubs in the NRL are down at the moment but in saying that we are only halfway through and you've got to look at the variables and they are weather, they are the schedule you have had to date and certain clubs draw well against other clubs. We have a great record against Souths, the Bulldogs, the Tigers and in this season we don't play the Rabbits twice so these sort of things work against your crowds. But in saying that crowds are directly related to performance and if we are unhappy with our performance you have got to expect to be disappointed with our crowds.

PC: One more question, is next year a building year or will you demand a top-eight finish?

PD: I don't really like that concept of giving up any one year and you're building. It is a challenge year to year and as I say things can happen to you that you can't predict and therefore directly affect your performance. But I don't know that we give up on a year and say we are building, we are constantly striving to do our best.

Father Ted

First Grade
Let me say in my opinion this is a nicely timed propaganda piece just before the next red v meeting at Kogarah. Something to soften the blows from the angry mob so to speak.

PC: So have you made any enquiries at all in regard to a coach like Michael Maguire who is coming off contract then?

PD: No I haven't.

PC: Interested?

PD: I think Michael is committed to the Rabbitohs but in saying that I haven't made any enquiries so I haven't got any comment to make on that.

Why haven't you ? He is the best available coach . So why haven't you made a single inquiry ?

PC: Can you categorically guarantee Steve Price will be coaching the Dragons in 2014?

PD: As I said to you the decisions in relation to the coaching staff are board decisions and at this point in time the board is evaluating, as is senior management, the performance of the team and they are not focussed on anything other than supporting the team and the coaching staff in their immediate opportunities for performance.

Was That a yes or No ? I'm good if someone can translate this into simple English?

And then there's this tit bit

Doust didn’t rule out chasing a “top tier” coach for 2015

PC: Can I put this to you: You have signed Steve until the end of next season after missing out on Craig Bellamy. Are you chasing a top coach for 2015?

PD: At this present time we are focussed on what we can achieve with our team, both coaching and player strength-wise, at this point in time and there is no activity around that at the moment.

Last edited:

Puff

First Grade
Peter Doust is shit. Simple. His responses were not constructive and more directed Along the lines of excuses. Crowds being down is because we managed our way into being hopeless this year and many fans saw that coming. Doust really wanted to answer that question because he had a good EXCUSE. Also, he is doing nothing about the coaching situation for 2015, WTF!!!!!!!!!!. Plan now, I know he probably wouldn't be saying anything anyway, but don't be so stern in making the point that we aren't doing anything, for god sake plan more then one year ahead.

Injuries, he held on to Cooper, what more did he expect. The guy wheels a medical stretcher with himself onto the field. Don't blame injuries for bad performances when you persist with aged players that are injury prone and train very little due to that.

I could go on, but it's too early. I have had enough. It's time to go for a lot of people at our football club.

Puff

First Grade
Funnily enough Doust did the interview more to serve himself, and to quieten the discontent etc. When in actual fact it made him look like a spin doctor, and will get him more discontent from fans as a result. Awesome job Dousty.

No news, no information, no commitment, no passion.

You wonder where Steve Price gets it ?

Why is it that everybocy at Dragons is so afraid ...that nobody can talk straighjt anymore ?

I understand you don't always want to reveal your thoughts and processes for

a) the possibility of undermining discussions or negotiations or

b) in case you don't follow through with what you say you look like a liar or a fool.

But for heaven's sake, it IS safe to mention options and ideas, and qualify them.

This stupid spin just does NOT inspire confidence, and actually just gives every one the shits!

Rob Dragon

Juniors
I noted in another post thread last night that Steve Price would not be coaching us in Round 1 next year and this interview further reinforces that view. Like most folk on this forum I find some of Peter Doust's superior and spin cycle dribble nauseating but then I remind myself that he delivered Bennett to us in 2009, and premiership in 2010 and he has been behind some aggressive recruitment for next year and he went very hard at Bellamy earlier in the year. It is these two points (the recruitment for 2014 and the pursuit of Bellamy) that makes me pretty confident that behind the scenes the "ducks and drakes" are being lined up regarding a new coach. If I were Steve Price and I read that article I would be updating my resume with some haste! We were always going to bottom out post Bennett. Let's do it quickly and then rebuild which I can see happening. The alternative is to take the Panthers or Tigers route which is too hang onto the core of your premiership sides (2003 and 2005) for far too long and then wast a decade (as both clubs have done now) crowing on about your premiership. I actually am starting to like what I can see for 2014 and beyond; it is just that the car wreck could get ugly this year.

Godz Illa

Coach
Doust is the king of verbosity, but there are a few things in the article which are quite clear if you have the knack.

ps Michael Maguire is a pipe dream. No chance of leaving Souths and this comes from an impeccable source

Lethal25

Juniors
The old injury line hey. What about Penrith, Tigers, Raiders, Knights all of whom have or have had injury wards with more numbers or more key players than the Dragons.

Just because you say it Doustie doesn't make it true

In saying that it's probably best to blame injuries than saying you think the coach is shit and we're actually trying to replace the guy. Hard to imagine but season 2013 could be worse if this was what Doust was publically stating.

Elias1983

Coach
PC: Where did it go wrong with him. When Wayne was there he played Origin football and you won a comp with him. Since he has played like a busted?

PD: I don't want to go into where it went wrong.

Isn't it obvious where it went wrong?

There was no problem under bennett.

Gazzaw

Juniors
Well I was going on Monday night, had already indicated the Q's I proposed in another thread, think the spin Dr just gave me all my answers. Might save the petrol, was going to the game on Saturday, might save the petrol, was going to renew my membership, might save the money ^&%$#@!@#$

Mr Red

First Grade
"We thought at the time that was relevant to the roster he had been dealing with, particularly in 2012, was one that he had not had any real involvement in putting together."

WTF?? again - WTF? this is embarassing for both Doust and Price... how could the coach who was fully aware he was going to be the coach well before 2011 season finished have no involvement in the roster for 2012... that'll do me... jesus thats pathetic.

PS - Doust has confidence 2014 wont be another rebuilding year... so the first time Price mentions rebuilding year again in 2014 i say sack both of them..

stock standard responses overall from Doust, i would have hoped the interview probed a bit more into how in the space of 18 months (2011 - 2013) we have gone from a force in the NRL to an easybeat... i would have liked to hear Doust explain that.

Lethal25

Juniors
I've seen a few people stating they probably won't renew.

Simply, if we lose membership and the dollars that come with that then this will be become a self fulfilling prophecy. We will be rubbish and remain rubbish for longer. These are the times when you should be dragging other supporters you know and getting them to sign as well as yourself.

Steelman

Juniors
Well let me ask u Peter Doust in saying this..... Your saying what? ??
IN SAYING THAT! !!!!!! WTF. ....:crazy:

Elias1983

Coach
I've seen a few people stating they probably won't renew.

Simply, if we lose membership and the dollars that come with that then this will be become a self fulfilling prophecy. We will be rubbish and remain rubbish for longer. These are the times when you should be dragging other supporters you know and getting them to sign as well as yourself.

I believe in trying to initiate change in the club at a coaching level and board level.

But I don't believe in hurting the club, cancelling memberships etc is hurting the club we love.

Not the way to go IMO.

Elias1983

Coach
And anothetr thing....

Why hasn't there ever been a question put to Doust about the process of how the board is elected etc?

I understand is a complex system and looks it there to protect certain people?

Surely some journo can investigate and maybe expose something about this?

I'm just relieved that Doust didn't say: "we're not far away" or "we need to work harder". Otherwise most of the usual cliches were in use.

getsmarty

Immortal
At Least Price will be sweating after this. If we lose to both The Roosters and Souths by big Margins (Which is a possibility) than surely Price is on his last legs.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Injuries? Apart from Kyle halves have not been injured. 1 was sacked and the other that they bought has not been given a chance. Were they seriously pinning all their hopes on Kyle? Cooper? King is out for the Season at Souths, they are doing OK? Surely Saints have 1 backup centre and not relied on a 33 year old to stay injury free. Beale? Ummm why would he say that as a big hurdle. Missed Beale for 1 or 2 weeks then brought in Dugan, current NSW fullback. He is now our best player and Beale would not have done what he has done in the games Dugan has played. Hunt? We played the Panthers with 2 of their starting front rowers (McKendry / Manu) out. Look at Panthers and Tigers injuries? The injury card is a clutching at straws excuse.

One thing I can get out of this is that he must not be watching the games on the weekend. If he was he would see how pathetic they have been for the last 18 months.

Doust should have got Potter because he is proving to be OK. Best of all he has no fear of sacking underperformers. Ask Benji. Too late now. Huge stuff up imo.

Twenty10

Juniors
The most pleasing aspect of that was the fact Doust did not guarantee prices position in 2014. He used the board as the get out clause there.

possm

Coach
What is clear to me is that Doust and the Board were very aware of what they were/are doing in relation to Price and player recruitment.

Price is not up to it however, his bosses aren't worried about his performance.

Price needs to go and we need a cleanout at the top.