What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne Storm 2014.

Noa

First Grade
Seasons over, its pretty obvious some big decisions need to be made to allow us to remain competitive while the B3 are still a force. What team would you like to see next year, what players do you want dumped or promoted.

1. Billy Slater - may be time to pull the pin on rep duties.
2. Sisa Waqa (Matt Duffie)- Safe for now but I expect Matt Duffie to push hard. Also his Bellamy wont be happy with his form under the high ball
3. Will Chambers
4. Hymel Hunt - Size, speed, young. Ticks the boxes.
5. Justin O'Niell (Denny Solomona)- Does his job but something is missing. Would love to see Solomona and his speed given a crack.
6. Cody Walker (Ben Hampton) - Walker will probably get first crack. Plenty of skill which will suit the left edge. Hampton is talented but needs more seasoning.
7. Cooper Cronk - Few holes starting to show in his game, no coincidence it's as Bill and Cam are slowing up slightly. Please stop kicking for Billy, he doesn't have the speed he used too.

13. Ryan Hoffman - Lacks the athleticism to make an impact at edge as far as I'm concerned. Move to the middle as a workhorse would suit the team.
12. Tohu Harris- Great 1st season but has so much more to his game, HAS to feature as an attacking option on th lEFT.
11. Kevin Proctor(Kenny Bromwich) - Only excels at RE backrower and even then its every 3rd game. Needs more consistency. Kenny with his footwork and skill could excel here if given a chance.
10. ????? - Glasby, Garbutt, Moors even. Anyone but Norrie, massive mistake in resigning him.
09. Cam - At the stage in his career where he should be playing less minutes.65-70 would be ideal.
08. Jesse Bromwich - Looks great a lot of times bit can also go MIA when hes needed. Another level needed.

14. Hinchcliffe/Griffen- both perform the same role. Griffen has more punch IMO.
15. Jordan MacLean - Provides a solid option off the bench. Don't think he is ever going to be a dominate forward though.
16. Kenny Bromwich - very versatile and very talented. Going to have a big year in 2014.
17. Matt Lodge - Don't think hell start the season here but will be going to good to leave out by the end.

Like your thoughts Noa...

In addition:

Duffie in for O'Neill - O'Neill goes MIA too much for my liking.

Young Tonumaipeau will be pushing for selection as well and could grab a wing or centre possie and don't forget that we have signed Travis Robinson who is bloody fast and could hold down a wing, centre or fullback spot.

Don't forget also that we have signed Dallas Weston from Penrith and he will add some size to the pack but I think we are genuinely in need of two big props as we got slaughtered in the ruck this year.

I also question Hinchcliffe's role in the team - too small IMO and has no go forward.

sheet_ed

Juniors
Agreed with everything that has been said.
Funny thing about MacLean he is a monster like Garbutt but has no aggression - we need a forwards coach to teach these guys that their size can hurt people.
Waqa also needs to be taught not to carry the ball ONE HANDED.

Our BIGGEST issue in 2014 is going to be 5/8th spot we need to find and train someone now - not sure of Walker OR Hampton - mainly size not talent. Most 5/8ths now are nearly 100kg otherwise you get smashed.

sheet_ed

Juniors
But the club will be broke feeding him and paying for 2 seats every time he flies interstate.

Can he play 5/8th????

I'd put the following players on notice:
Norrie
O'Neil
Harris
Hinchcliffe

Cooper Cronk can have good days but equally bad ones. The only thing saving him is that he's a quick thinker and executes the 5th tackle option better than the majority of halfbacks. But when he's kicking game is off, its really off.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Tohu is still good. Remember we've had a back down in every game the last few weeks. Blair got broken, Harris filled it, waqa got broken, Harris filled it, waqa broken again, and again Harris filled it. He's not a center so he naturally wouldn't be looking good lately.

Fonua and O'Neill definitely need to get pulled up. Where has Vave been? Did he get dropped or was he injured? He hasn't played in ages so I assumed he went down with injury sometime.

Hinchy has been woeful. Probably time to move him to the bench and let proctor run the 13 for a bit. Proctor Harris and Hoffman is a big minute second row.

Our forwards didn't charge with a lot of force. It seemed to me that when they approached the line, they stutter, took a few little steps before being tackled.

B-Hard

Juniors
The problem is Bellamy is pretty stubborn and doesn't like to change things around. Norrie shouldn't be in the 17 but he's a favourite of Bellamy's, Hinchy hasn't played well since he did his knee against Souths in round 6, he shouldn't start. O'Neill will be lucky if he's in the starting 17 next year.

Hampton/Walker battle will be fun in the preseason. I think Walker could have that x factor we need. We also need to find a forward who brings some aggression onto the field. We lack it a lot.

Massive offseason IMO for Bellamy. Make or break stuff. He needs to change things up. We've become too predictable.

Billythekid

First Grade
The problem is Bellamy is pretty stubborn and doesn't like to change things around. Norrie shouldn't be in the 17 but he's a favourite of Bellamy's, Hinchy hasn't played well since he did his knee against Souths in round 6, he shouldn't start. O'Neill will be lucky if he's in the starting 17 next year.

Hampton/Walker battle will be fun in the preseason. I think Walker could have that x factor we need. We also need to find a forward who brings some aggression onto the field. We lack it a lot.

Massive offseason IMO for Bellamy. Make or break stuff. He needs to change things up. We've become too predictable.

He won a premiership a year ago. We got top 4 this year and some of the form we showed earlier in the year was good enough to win another. We dropped off in the end and were hurt badly by the SOO period. It's hardly panic stations just yet. He probably doesn't want to change a succesful formula whilst it's still working.

I think we need to work on our rotation around the SOO period better and really try to stop the burnout in our team. There are definitely changes to be made and some i've read some good suggestions on here but i'm not worried about next year.

In 2-3 years when Slater/Cronk/smith/Bellamy are gone that i'm worried about. Will we have the structures in place to stay a quality side? Or will we drop off ala broncos and knights post Lockyer/Bennett and Johns?

Our entire recruitment strategy has basically been around buying cheap players to support the big 3. Will be interesting to see how we go about changing our whole recruitment strategy.

afinalsin666

First Grade
It would probably be better for us if they all retire at the same time. It will hurt at first, but the freed money should let us take the cream of the crop from wherever we want.

But then you've got to imagine it would be better for whoever we end up getting to play behind Smith for a season or two. It's an interesting dilemma.

And b hard, we got aggression coming from Mr Rose. Get some Bellamy fire into him, he'll be what we need. Kenny Bromwich also smashes in, he would be a good starter over Norrie.

It would probably be better for us if they all retire at the same time. It will hurt at first, but the freed money should let us take the cream of the crop from wherever we want.

But then you've got to imagine it would be better for whoever we end up getting to play behind Smith for a season or two. It's an interesting dilemma.

And b hard, we got aggression coming from Mr Rose. Get some Bellamy fire into him, he'll be what we need. Kenny Bromwich also smashes in, he would be a good starter over Norrie.

I went to a night recently with the recruiting manager for Storm and the intention is for the big three to retire one season after the other...this will free up cap progressively so that we can build depth over three years.

One of the biggest problems we may have is finding a replacement for Bellamy as he will not go on after this contract.

As for the players...Hampton is a star in the making and will get the starting spot next year.

Harris needs to be given some freedom to roam and push passes and attack the line which he will get next year.

Do not forget Young Tonumaipeau as well...he was TYC cup player of the year for Storm last year and has speed and agility to burn.

O'Neill is dining out on his current contract and needs a stint in NSW cup next year.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Just give Smith the reins after Bellamy moves on. He'll be there eventually anyway. Or lure Maguire back to take over.

Billythekid

First Grade
Just give Smith the reins after Bellamy moves on. He'll be there eventually anyway. Or lure Maguire back to take over.

Will Smith even stay in Melbourne after his career is over? He also wouldn't be ready to coach, maybe as an assistant coach but nothing else. I think we're better off grooming our next coach under Bellamy for the next few years instead of trying to poach from elsewhere.

I'm sorry to say but the ride is over for you lot. You've got a few spoons coming your way... It's a shame too cause you're a good team

sheet_ed

Juniors
I don't think the ride is over, but I think our normal expectation (like the Broncos) of a GF finish need to be tempered. Souths and maybe the Roosters will be pulled apart next year with salary expectations of their stars reeking havoc (I personally cannot work out how Souths can financially afford that lineup).

We have the talent, not the mongrel, we needed a Jeremy Smith or a Michael Crocker. We look like a politically correct side sometimes where the Knights and the Sharkies especially thump the crap out of you.

afinalsin666

First Grade
I'm sorry to say but the ride is over for you lot. You've got a few spoons coming your way... It's a shame too cause you're a good team

It's funny. We come top 4, make it to week two, and instantly worse than parramatta. Yep, just going to resign myself to giving away 700 points a season from now on. Yep, we'll definitely not have any renaissance like the roosters have had. Just a definite downward spiral to oblivion, taking the three greatest players of the modern era with us. Yep, sounds about right.