What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ex-Bunny Joe Williams a real knockout in boxing debut

Pumba

First Grade
Ex-Bunny Joe Williams a real knockout in boxing debut
By Paul Kent

FORMER Souths and Penrith halfback Joey Williams has opened his professional boxing career in KO style, stopping Thailand's Sing Sor Supakan with a devastating body shot.

He continues what has become a well-worn path of former NRL footballers stepping into the ring.

After his football career fizzled out earlier this year, Williams made the once-unorthodox move of stepping into the prize ring just as Anthony Mundine, Solomon Haumono and John Hopoate have done in recent years.

Taking advantage of his footballer strength - different from a boxer's - Williams hit Supakan with a vicious body blow in the second of their four scheduled rounds to bring the crowd alight at Punchbowl's Croatian Club.

"He looked great," said promoter Barry Raff. "He knocked him out with a body punch. I thought they stopped it a bit early but he was just too good."

Williams was a shooting star in the NRL before his career fizzled out last year. He failed to have his contract renewed at Souths and switched to Penrith before that also faded out, switching to the Bulldogs during this season. But that was also short-lived, prompting Williams to retire and take up boxing.

Trainer Johnny Lewis has begun working with Williams and has been excited by his prospects.

"You couldn't ask for a better debut," Lewis said last night. "What he done tonight, I was very happy with. It's still very early days but to win the first fight and win so well was great.

"He's a very good kid who does the training and said he was happy with what he had achieved in a 32-game league career, despite never realising his full potential, is prepared to put in the hard work and I've got a lot of time for Joey."

Williams lost 13kg in three months to prepare for his first fight at junior middleweight.

He's far more disciplined now than during his league career, rising at 5am and running 8km every morning and sticking to a strict diet that's helped his weight drop from 82kg to 69kg.

Link

Sounds like he is taking this boxing gig more seriously then Rugby League. Good luck to him.

poor joey - another player whose career went down hill when he joined souths

He is a South's junior dipsh!t. Apart from this year when he went to Penrith and then the Dogs, he spent his entire career at South's. He was a very promising footballer who lacked seriously in the defensive department and was found out at NRL level. His confidence was shot to bits. He would not have made it in any team and last year was the proof of that.

Looks to be a good boxer though so good luck to him in that. He is a very nice guy so it'd be good to see him do well for himself.

He is a South's junior dipsh!t. Apart from this year when he went to Penrith and then the Dogs, he spent his entire career at South's. He was a very promising footballer who lacked seriously in the defensive department and was found out at NRL level. His confidence was shot to bits. He would not have made it in any team and last year was the proof of that.

Looks to be a good boxer though so good luck to him in that. He is a very nice guy so it'd be good to see him do well for himself.

he's a souths junior?? i swear i seen him playing for the Roosters in the lower grades including as half back and goal kicker and in their under 21 grandfinal winning side in 2002 when he kicked that long range field goal to win the game against the nathan brown coached st george dragons whom i recall were red hot favourites to win-also i recall he came from the country to the Roosters before souths signed him and ruined his career.

he's a souths junior?? i swear i seen him playing for the Roosters in the lower grades including as half back and goal kicker and in their under 21 grandfinal winning side in 2002 when he kicked that long range field goal to win the game against the nathan brown coached st george dragons whom i recall were red hot favourites to win-also i recall he came from the country to the Roosters before souths signed him and ruined his career.

We've all been through this before Stalin. The Roosters don't have Juniors. Stop kidding yourself.

Latest posts