What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U20s squads for 2014

Tucantango

Juniors
Keep an eye out for a young Cowboys U/20 player called 'Viliami Kikau. It will be his first year in NYC but let me tell you this kid is phenomenal. He hails from Fiji and was on the path to greater glory via rugby union until the Cowboys saw him at the Fijian schools rugby league trials in 2013.

I only discovered the information above after watching this kid absolutely demolish opposition centres (in both attack and defence) at last years school's international rugby union tri-nations tournament held in Sydney late last year (bwtween Australia, NZ and Fiji). He was instrumental in Fiji's monumental victory over NZ schools at this tournament (which is when I googled his name to discover the Cowboy interest in him).

I know there will be some out there that will be somewhat cynical given this lads rugby union back ground but this lad was competing at the same tournament that uncovered the likes of Tiuvasa-Scheck and co. over the years. This lad hits like a proverbial freight train, and is not to bad in attack as well.

richies

Juniors
Some decent squads there. What about graduates? Players like Mbye etc that aren't in FT squads but too old for NYC

all now in NSW Cup:-

Patrick Templeton.
Kayne Brennan.
Moses Mbye.
John Sila made the top squad ahead of Kayne Brennan which is surprising as he still has a lot too learn, Were Kayne is the complete player.
Jaline Graham.
not too sure on the others

Jaelen Feeney's gone to Newcastle and is a talent.

richies

Juniors
I too thought it was Mmmm ... ... ... bye bye for this lad when I did not see his name on the squad list, however if you go into the media side of the doggies website you will definitely see him there in first grade (or at least training with them). I think they will blood him in NSW Cup first, as the doggies do for all there up-and-comers!

Admittedly the doggies have the worst website for player updates! It is so hard to tell who they have or have not!

I had to do a lot of digging to find that half squad of nyc for the dogs,
and normally they aren't on action photos until late or if at all.

half_back

Juniors
Keep an eye out for a young Cowboys U/20 player called 'Viliami Kikau. It will be his first year in NYC but let me tell you this kid is phenomenal. He hails from Fiji and was on the path to greater glory via rugby union until the Cowboys saw him at the Fijian schools rugby league trials in 2013.

I only discovered the information above after watching this kid absolutely demolish opposition centres (in both attack and defence) at last years school's international rugby union tri-nations tournament held in Sydney late last year (bwtween Australia, NZ and Fiji). He was instrumental in Fiji's monumental victory over NZ schools at this tournament (which is when I googled his name to discover the Cowboy interest in him).

I know there will be some out there that will be somewhat cynical given this lads rugby union back ground but this lad was competing at the same tournament that uncovered the likes of Tiuvasa-Scheck and co. over the years. This lad hits like a proverbial freight train, and is not to bad in attack as well.

Hey Tuc,

Agree about Kikau although I think there will be an adjustment period for him. Not quite the footwork of RTS, huge lad and gave as good as he got to two of eels and roosters most promising prospects. Allowed the first try with a poor decision against Oz but more than made up for it from then. I think decision making on the edge will be the greatest adjustment needed. But he could be anything.

Mitchsu Danger

Juniors
BULLDOGS NYC SQUAD

Tommy Backhouse
Jordan Bowles
Andrew Cartisano
Brock Cope - Sharks
Brendan Cox
Adam Elliott
Herman Ese'ese
Wilson Faanoi
Andrew Faddy
Danny Fualalo
Sione f**kof**ka
Sam Gerrey-Burgess - Souths
Royce Hunt
Jake Kamire
Robbie Kamoto
Brad Keighran
Denzel King
Kyle Krisanki-Kennedy
Shaun Lane
Tuuta Langi
Brandon Luamanu
Dujean Manuel-Liolevave
Lindon McGrady
Josh Montgomery
Charles Moreton - Sharks
Michael Morgan
David Murphy
Milad Noor
Sam Seau
Renouf To'omaga
George Tsikrikas
Sonny Tupuola - Raiders
Luke Vella

Tucantango

Juniors
Hey Tuc,

Agree about Kikau although I think there will be an adjustment period for him. Not quite the footwork of RTS, huge lad and gave as good as he got to two of eels and roosters most promising prospects. Allowed the first try with a poor decision against Oz but more than made up for it from then. I think decision making on the edge will be the greatest adjustment needed. But he could be anything.

LOL@HB,

Long time no speak mate. All the best for the New Year!

As you state, it was a good match up between he and the two centres you mention above. Agree there will be an adjustment period, and I dare say the Cowboys staff are already aware of the same too!

Nevertheless isn't he such a raw talent?

On another note HB do you have any knowledge if the Parra prospect we speak of above is going to stay at the Eels? Admittedly, I am well aware of the fact that he is up on the website as being part of the Parra outfit for this year, but it was also my understanding that Michael Cheika (the Tahs) coach was very keen on him too!

Last edited:

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
LOL@HB,

As you state, it was a good match up between he and the two centres you mention above. Agree there will be an adjustment period, and I dare say the Cowboys staff are already aware of the same too!

On another note HB do you have any knowledge if the Parra prospect we speak of above is going to stay at the Eels? Admittedly, I am well aware of the fact that he is up on the website as being part of the Parra outfit for this year, but it was also my understanding that Michael Cheika (the Tahs) coach was very keen on him too!

I heard that the Tahs offered Tepai Moeroa a contract to be in the first grade squad for them this year. Definitely an exciting prospect for us Eels supporters and hopefully he makes the transition into NRL.

half_back

Juniors
LOL@HB,

Thanks Tuc you too.

He will be one to watch going forward for sure and no doubt will put the fear into a few with his aggressive style.

Asked about Tepai and he is contracted til end of 2015. According to those at Parra he won't be going anywhere.

Therefore unless he is keen to emulate SBW don't see him in the union ranks anytime soon.

grouch

First Grade
St George Illawarra NYC

Jack Bird, Shannon Crook, Brent Anderson, Vincent Stowers, Andrew Chard, Hayden Carpenter, Wesley Lolo, George Lolo, Sitiveni Moceidreke, Logan Harris, Brody Rigg, Harry Stewart, Drew Hutchinson, Addin Fonua-Blake, Euan Aitken, Dee-Jay Harris, Heheako Tuima, Abraham Attallah, Adam Clune, Matthew Dufty, Tom Freebairn, Jay Gallagher, Jack Kavanagh, Jocob Host, Rowland Kotobalavu, Dylan Lauri, Luciano Leilua, Kelepi Lovodua, Luke Monds, Blaine Rozs, Kelly Tate, Izaac Thompson, William Tom, Hayden McCrae, Andrew McCarthy.

http://www.dragons.com.au/nycplayerprofiles

Much stronger squad than last year. Likely team, imo:

1.Matthew Dufty
2. Abraham Atallah
3. DJ Harris
4. Euan Aitken
5.Sitiveni Moceidreke
6. Drew Hutchinson
7. Shannon Crook
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Brody Rigg
10. Vincent Stowers
11. Wes Lolo
12. Luciano Leilua
13. Jack Bird

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Impressive Dragons side. If they can keep that team on the park they should be in the finals.

Footy Mad

Juniors
I heard that the Tahs offered Tepai Moeroa a contract to be in the first grade squad for them this year. Definitely an exciting prospect for us Eels supporters and hopefully he makes the transition into NRL.

Tepai is already contracted to Parra. I am hearing he loves league over union anyway

Packy

Bench
Who's expected to do well this year? Raiders and Panthers always seem to go well. So do Souths, Dogs and Warriors.

Can we expect anything different?

R2Coupe

Juniors
It's only a trial and players were rotated off in the heat but WTs defeated the Panthers 44 to 14 today. A good effort by the young players against what many believe to be a contender this year. Good to know some of the Balmain SG Ball players featured prominently in the game as well as the Keebra players and Mitch Moses.

mxlegend99

Referee
Panthers under 20s were by far the weakest team fielded in a long time. Not even close to the squad playing last year, most of them Played nsw cup and won 62-10.

Penrith will even field a new look team in the regular season also . Many of last years side are too old, a few signed to other clubs. Also not sure how we can go with trent barrett as coach. Cant see them going close to the grand final though. Top 8 side most likely, but not premier threats IMO.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Unsure of how the Warriors will go. I think only a handful of players are too old now, but with the recent focus shifted from U20's to preparing players through NSW cup I'm not sure if some of the better players will play in the U20's.

Still expect a top 8 finish of course, but we'll see about being contenders.

I suppose the team make up also depends on how Tonks/Baldwinson go and whether they play in U20's or are fast tracked to NSW Cup.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The tigers have brought down a huge amount of the Keebra squad from last year, along with the Balmain team who have won Matthews cup the last 2 years in a row you would have to think they will be up there

Noa

First Grade
The Storm will have a very strong squad this year, will go close to winning it.

The names Rueben Rennie, Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Suliasi Vunivalu and Prde Petterson Robati are the ones to follow.

Latest posts