What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ron Massey Cup 2014

slickrabbit

Juniors
Asquith coach Simon Clarke has been doing a lot of recruiting to bolster the depth of the Magpies squad for the upcoming season. At the back end of last year they had a quarter of their Shield side backing up to play Cup, some playing 80 minutes in both. They are entering another senior team into the Manly/North Sydney comp this year, so will have plenty of depth to call on this time around.

What they need is quality RMC players not A Grade backups...they also need to be smart about which fringe Norths NSW Cup players they go for. No point getting the ones who won't play many games for them.

shooter44

Juniors
Week 2 OAMPS Cup

Saturday @ Lidcombe Oval

SS Wentworthville MAGPIES V Hills District - 12:00
RMC Western Suburbs MAGPIES V Wentworthville MAGPIES - 1:45
SS Mounties V Auburn WARRIORS - 3:30
RMC Mounties V Burwood Nth Ryde UNITED - 5:15

Saturday @ Norford Park

SS Cabramatta TWO BLUES V Asquith MAGPIES - 3pm
SS Penninsula SEAGULLS V Guildford - 3pm
RMC Cabramatta TWO BLUES V Kingsgrove COLTS - 5pm
RMC Blacktown WORKERS V Asquith MAGPIES - 5pm

good to see the draw finally up.

Had a quick look at the draw. Go the Magpies! lol. I forgot that there were 3 Magpies teams in the comp.

And good to see that Kingsgrove have set out their home grounds from now. Late year, some games of them were chosen at the ''last minute''. Good to have both Kogarah Oval and Hurstville Oval being involved.

Also good to see Belmore Oval being used for 3 games for the Auburn club. I've been there many years ago as a child for soccer matches, but sadly not for Rugby League games, so this may be the best opportunity for me to attend a game here.

Looking at the 1st week of the OAMPS cup I have noticed a lot of team changes.

Kingsgrove have lost their two best players.

Brett Manning - Cabra
Petros Thanos - Asquith

Wests have recruited well

Rusty Bristow - Vulcans
Junior Vaivai - Cutters
Nu Akeripa - Retirement

slickrabbit

Juniors
Looking at the 1st week of the OAMPS cup I have noticed a lot of team changes.

Kingsgrove have lost their two best players.

Brett Manning - Cabra
Petros Thanos - Asquith

Wests have recruited well

Rusty Bristow - Vulcans
Junior Vaivai - Cutters
Nu Akeripa - Retirement

Kingsgrove again doing what they do best. lol

Wests have a strong budget. Should be able to attract top level players due to that. Whether the culture is there to hold them is another aspect. Training 4dys a week puts a lot of players off pretty quickly.

Footy Tragic

Juniors
Could be tough year for Cabra this year from wot I've seen around the joint and their loss to Kingsgrove last week.
Haven't seen one player from their GF win 3 years ago at training

slickrabbit

Juniors
Could be tough year for Cabra this year from wot I've seen around the joint and their loss to Kingsgrove last week.
Haven't seen one player from their GF win 3 years ago at training

Beat Colts 44-24 rnd1, but I think it's fair to say that that is a poor result, as most top clubs have put 80+ on them in the past. Can't imagine Colts have improved that much in 2014.

slickrabbit

Juniors
Some interesting results on the weekend.

Cabra were tipped to account for Auburn - not even close

Mounties tipped to easily deal with Workers - defense anyone?

BNRU were tipped to get a close one against Colts - ouch! 0-3 and dead last!

Magpies and Guilford only one that was close to prediction, but wrong way around - Wests with their budget SHOULD be better

Wenty were tipped to run away with it against Asquith - Perhaps they forgot to pull their pants up first?

----

Early days though. Anything can happen, I guess...

Last edited:

Broncos93

Juniors
Some interesting results on the weekend.

Cabra were tipped to account for Auburn - not even close

Mounties tipped to easily deal with Workers - defense anyone?

BNRU were tipped to get a close one against Colts - ouch! 0-3 and dead last!

Magpies and Guilford only one that was close to prediction, but wrong way around - Wests with their budget SHOULD be better

Wenty were tipped to run away with it against Asquith - Perhaps they forgot to pull their pants up first?

----

Early days though. Anything can happen, I guess...

Asquith were ahead until 8 minutes from full-time, when Wenty scored in a scrappy half filled with drop ball from the rain. Ended up getting another try on full-time after a lucky ricochet on a grubber kick. But Asquith more than held their own and maybe even unlucky not to get anything out of the game.

Broncos93

Juniors
Has anyone seen much of the Peninsula Seagulls play? They seem to be accounting for most Shield opposition quite comfortably. I wonder if, after a bit of recruitment, they're up for a move into Ron Massey next season?

Has anyone seen much of the Peninsula Seagulls play? They seem to be accounting for most Shield opposition quite comfortably. I wonder if, after a bit of recruitment, they're up for a move into Ron Massey next season?

I have seen them play. Their defence, up until last weekend was their only problem. They have a very good back line which produces points. They lead 26-0 against Auburn and nearly let it slip. Definitely would compete with some of the weaker sides in RMC.

Also heard former Balmain Tigers player Michael Withers is playing for Hills District. He would be about 38 years old. Dunno if its just a rumour.

Asquith beat Kingsgrove tonight in the catch up round 2 match 36-6

Broncos93

Juniors
Hearing a few whispers about Peninsula possibly moving to RMC next season. Their coach Tim Gee believes that on their day they could compete with some NSW cup teams.

Any predictions for finals contenders come September?

Latest posts