What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Adamson

Blues Riff

Bench
Can someone fill me in on the Adamson scandal?
I know he came back for a while but what happened?
I missed that part of our history somehow. Do tell.

darkbloom

Juniors
Everyone involved in the club in that era has been painted with the same black brush. Some fairly, some very unfairly.

Some did not behave too well when in that pressure cooker, Matt was one of them.

The Teach

Juniors
He's certainly had an interesting 6 months. He was the lead senate candidate for the Palmer United Party at the recent federal election in NSW. Spent a lot of time in western Sydney during the campaign.

Blues Riff

Bench
OK got it (thanks Wikipedia), moved on at the end of '08 as part of a coaching "restructure".
I liked him as a player. He played Origin in 2000 along with Girds and Gowie, correct?

murraymob

First Grade
Can someone fill me in on the Adamson scandal?
I know he came back for a while but what happened?
I missed that part of our history somehow. Do tell.

there was no scandal

Matt was part of a group of players who wanted Royce Simmons fired as coach.The papers painted him as the leader.They where caught by the papers having player meetings with out the coach.
This put Matt offside with a lot off supporters.He was brought back by Elliott but it was clear there where problems with some players and Adamsom.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
I think he has a bit of history with Bellamy. Yes/ No??????

Im not sure. Maybe they know each other from their days at the Raiders. Bellamy played for the raiders 82-90. Adamstown was playing for us from 93 onwards. Bellemy was coaching Raiders U/20s in 93. Then he went to Brisbane, then Melbourne.

It's hard to find accurate info from pre internet days. :)

Blues Riff

Bench
Yes, I remember him being one of the disgruntled players that year.
We somehow beat Canberra one night but Royce was pretty much already out the door.
Anyhow, Roycie's back and Matt's gorn :D

Spot On

Coach
Im not sure. Maybe they know each other from their days at the Raiders. Bellamy played for the raiders 82-90. Adamstown was playing for us from 93 onwards. Bellemy was coaching Raiders U/20s in 93. Then he went to Brisbane, then Melbourne.

It's hard to find accurate info from pre internet days. :)

I can remember a story about Adamson picking up the phone and taking it upon himself, whilst a player at Penrith, and either talking to Bellamy or his manger telling him that the coach at Penrith was shit and he should make inquiries about the position??? Now that is a recollection from many years ago and may be far from exactly what occurred but I thought that was main reason Adamson and Royce had the major falling out.

murraymob

First Grade
there where also problems with matt and steve carter.I remember one game at penrith .Carter through a cut out pass that landed in the crowd with a 4 man over lap.Adamson who was on the bench got up and threw a water bottle on the ground.The tv cameras where on him as he did it.Did not go down well with a few off the boys or the coach

Spot On

Coach
there where also problems with matt and steve carter.I remember one game at penrith .Carter through a cut out pass that landed in the crowd with a 4 man over lap.Adamson who was on the bench got up and threw a water bottle on the ground.The tv cameras where on him as he did it.Did not go down well with a few off the boys or the coach

R U serious?

soc123_au

Staff member
I think the hate is more to do with the way he left. Led the revolt against Simmons & then once Simmons was punted he bailed himself. His loss as he missed the premiership in 03. From what I heard he was a prize wanker when he came back to work with Elliott.

I didn't know he had tried to get Bellamy to Penrith. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if that had gone through.

Spot On

Coach
As I said, the call to Bellamy is a vague memory and I can't recall with certainty where that story came from. If the hard core, long time Panthers fans can't remember or confirm such a story then it's fair to say it's far from the mark.

The Teach

Juniors
I used to laugh when he'd run out as the trainer and the senior players would basically turn their backs on him. That goes to show the contempt in which he was held.