Go Back   The Front Row Forum :: Rugby League > Rugby League - Australia > NRL

NRL For general NRL discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 28-07-2013, 05:22 PM
super_coach super_coach is offline
Bench
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: sydney
Posts: 3,378
Default boring boring boring

The NRL wonder why their crowds are down, Gus says its all about to many weak playing rosters, others says its all about cost and I say because the game has become boring.

Todays big game, every set the same,five runs and a bomb. Both sides played the same game plan,grind away than bomb away. It was like watching paint dry and it is typical of how most games are played out these days.

The people who make the rules have to come up with a rule that makes the bomb not the percentage play. I know this subject has been done to death,but we will kill the game if we dont address the problem. Its so refreshing to see a team like the warriors actually try and run the ball over the line.

We had great crowds in 2005, when the tigers and cowboys would attack from anywhere, be great to see teams forced to actually construct some last tackle plays.

Anyway if they dont,AFL,the A league and even rugby might swallow them up
Reply With Quote
Share this Topic
  #2  
Old 28-07-2013, 05:25 PM
neutralsupporter neutralsupporter is offline
Juniors
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,186
Default Re: boring boring boring

Shut up. You're probably an Eels fan.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28-07-2013, 05:30 PM
NrlCoach NrlCoach is offline
Juniors
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,604
Default Re: boring boring boring

Blame the wrestling. Only team i watch is the warriors because they seem to be the only team that will attack each play instead of wait for the 4 tackle to attack
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28-07-2013, 05:33 PM
hutch hutch is offline
First Grade
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,558
Default Re: boring boring boring

More paranoia! The afl lost 300000 fans last year, waratahs crowds have halved in a decade and A-league still barely registers even though I enjoy it. It seems we are swallowing them up!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Ph1l's Avatar
Ph1l Ph1l is offline
Juniors
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 88
Default Re: boring boring boring

I've thought this for quite awhile myself. I was expecting a great game today but nothing really eventuated. A lucky bounce here and there and the luckier side gets over the line. Unfortunately I can see the same thing happening next week between the Broncs and the Knights. If it isn't a yawn fest, I'll be surprised.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28-07-2013, 06:04 PM
BuffaloRules's Avatar
BuffaloRules BuffaloRules is online now
Coach
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,154
Default Re: boring boring boring

What about the Storm v Warriors game?

Boring?

Maybe AFL and Yawnion are for you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Pablo-13 Pablo-13 is offline
Juniors
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 42
Default Re: boring boring boring

It would be interesting to see if changing
The game is restarted with an optional kick from the centre of the 20m line if:
(c) a defending player, in his in-goal, takes a kick in general play from an opponent on the full
to
(c) a defending player, in his in-goal or within 20 metres of his goal line, takes a kick in general play from an opponent on the full
made a positive difference.

Or you could tinker further, of course, e.g. catch in the 20 and restart from the 30m line or take the optional kick/taps only quickly anywhere in the 20.

Last edited by Pablo-13; 28-07-2013 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Chook Norris's Avatar
Chook Norris Chook Norris is offline
First Grade
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,615
Default Re: boring boring boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph1l View Post
I've thought this for quite awhile myself. I was expecting a great game today but nothing really eventuated. A lucky bounce here and there and the luckier side gets over the line. Unfortunately I can see the same thing happening next week between the Broncs and the Knights. If it isn't a yawn fest, I'll be surprised.
I don't think today really show cased the two side's attacking abilities. It got stuck into a bit of a forward battle and grind
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28-07-2013, 06:23 PM
DIMEAST's Avatar
DIMEAST DIMEAST is offline
Juniors
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 321
Default Re: boring boring boring

Watching a grinding game is so shit, especially live at the ground. Expansive attacking footy is what makes league better than union and is what the NRL tries to market the game as in their campaigns.
Hopefully a team can become dominant by employing an attacking style of football and force the rest of the comp to adapt to suit
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Misanthrope's Avatar
Misanthrope Misanthrope is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Armidale, NSW
Posts: 42,006
Default Re: boring boring boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by NrlCoach View Post
Blame the wrestling. Only team i watch is the warriors because they seem to be the only team that will attack each play instead of wait for the 4 tackle to attack
This. Wrestling has slowed the game down to the point that the kind of free-flowing, exciting attack the OP mentioned is largely a thing of the past unless one side is too retarded to pull of their own wrestling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloRules View Post
What about the Storm v Warriors game?

Boring?

Maybe AFL and Yawnion are for you.
Channel Nine need to pick their games better. Warriors are bloody entertaining.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 28-07-2013, 07:06 PM
magpie4ever's Avatar
magpie4ever magpie4ever is offline
First Grade
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,154
Default Re: boring boring boring

We reward a 40-20 kick with a scrum which is really an extra 6 tackles.

Why not have a 60m attacking rule (20m-20m) where if an attacking team carries the ball 60 metres in 6 tackles they receive an extra 2 (?) tackles.

I agree the modern game is getting boring and robotic, at least 2 less interchanges would not go astray.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 28-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Noa's Avatar
Noa Noa is offline
First Grade
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,851
Default Re: boring boring boring

Teams hold down to allow there d line to get set at the required 10m mark.

Pretty obvious what needs to be looked at.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 28-07-2013, 07:46 PM
kbw's Avatar
kbw kbw is offline
Juniors
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 950
Default Re: boring boring boring

I think its a combination of things
The cost of going to the game and the separation of the players from the real world.
The media control of the decision making is ruiing the game.
The bullcrap of inconsistency of the officiating, from the actual refereeing to the way players such as Csmith get away with things others are penalised for
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 28-07-2013, 07:46 PM
El Diablo's Avatar
El Diablo El Diablo is online now
Post Whore
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 74,340
Default Re: boring boring boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_coach View Post
The NRL wonder why their crowds are down, Gus says its all about to many weak playing rosters, others says its all about cost and I say because the game has become boring.

Todays big game, every set the same,five runs and a bomb. Both sides played the same game plan,grind away than bomb away. It was like watching paint dry and it is typical of how most games are played out these days.

The people who make the rules have to come up with a rule that makes the bomb not the percentage play. I know this subject has been done to death,but we will kill the game if we dont address the problem. Its so refreshing to see a team like the warriors actually try and run the ball over the line.

We had great crowds in 2005, when the tigers and cowboys would attack from anywhere, be great to see teams forced to actually construct some last tackle plays.

Anyway if they dont,AFL,the A league and even rugby might swallow them up
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 28-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Eddie. Eddie. is offline
Bench
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,108
Default Re: boring boring boring

I think supercoach makes a fair point. All team do when they are between 40 and 10 metres out is launch a bomb. It's not even to try and score, just to send 6 blokes down to nail the fullback inside the ten. It is boring. I don't know what the answer is however I would like to see the NRL experiment in trial games with maybe different rules regarding catching a bomb. What those rules could be i have no idea?!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 08:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2 Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising Opportunities

  Latest Tweets

Advertising Opportunities