What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

09 :: Origin II :: QLD 24 NSW 14 @ ANZ :: Wed 24 Jun

Origin II Winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adamkungl

Immortal
When QLD come to Sydney, stepping into the 21st century usually puts them off their game. NSW will win.

Lambretta

First Grade
Short of the QLD Team bus being rammed on the way to ANZ stadium and three quarters of their team being injured, I can't see any way that NSW can win this one.

Too many disruptions - too many injuries - too many changes

If we cant find a settled team and stick to it for more than 1 game - we'll never beat this classy Toad Team.

Right - so who's going to ram their bus then?

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I think this could be good for NSW. I think Hayne needs to be at fullback and Gidley will be more dangerous as the game wears on and the QLD forwards get tired (which they showed in game 1). The lack of preparation sucks for you though.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
There'll be a reshuffle - god some people are simple :roll:

Bodsy

Juniors
There'll be a reshuffle - god some people are simple :roll:

There shouldn't be a re-shuffle, Ben Hornby should go straight in

That means Gidley has to play wings position, they are not going to bench the captain, so morris will start off on the bench, it's just stupid.

Common sense

Lambretta

First Grade
I've been thinking about Origin tonight and I know a couple of posts ago I said that it was a foregone conclusion - but I was just being pessimistic. The optimistic lad in me has come to the fore and I am beginning to get excited......

On Wednesday night when the teams run out on to the pitch at ANZ, Queensland will be just 80 minutes away from history as the first side to win 4 series in a row and all the pundits (and many fans) are tipping them to do just that. But is it quite so clear cut? Do New South Wales stand any chance at all of upsetting the apple cart?

Well, of course they do. These guys - or should I say this New South Wales side, for all it's faults, and the injuries and the distruptions and the changes to it's line up and it's lack of preparation is still full of talented, professional Rugby League players. Men who have been ridiculed and men who most think are walking out there on Wednesday night merely to make up the numbers.

That is a situation tailor made for real men to stand up and make their mark. To take the situation by the scruff of the neck and to close both hands around it and throttle it into submission.

New South Wales has such men in it's team and by showing pride in the jumper and standing side by side with their mates, backing their own abilities and to trust in the years of training to get the job done.

There's no good being in awe of Queensland, as talented and brilliant as they are - if NSW go out there on Wednesday night and pay homage to Queensland, then the Maroons will win the game.

New South Wales have to take a leaf out of the Queensland never say die book of attitude and serve them up a relentless tour de force. They have to get in the face of the Queenslanders, tire out their forwards and give their backline no room to move in. The Queensland side does have it's weaknesses and the Blues need to make sure they're talking out there and their playmakers need to be able to exploit them when the chance arises.

Yes winning will take a momentous effort - yes the Queensland side are favourites - but in Origin, since when did favouritism guarantee you anything? New South Wales have to have belief - belief in their own abilities but above all they have to have belief in one another.

They can take this series to a decider if they want it badly enough.

Come on New South Wales - we're backing you all the way.

skeepe

Immortal
Campese not the right fit: Blues
Jun 20, 2009

New South Wales selector Laurie Daley told Grandstand the decision to drop Terry Campese was based on the belief his natural game does not compliment that of captain and full-back Kurt Gidley.

The axing of Campese (pictured) was one of five initial changes made to the Blues squad in the wake of their 28-18 defeat to Queensland in State of Origin I in Melbourne earlier this month, a match in which he made his Origin debut.

He was replaced by Cronulla five-eighth Trent Barrett, who selectors felt would offer some much-needed experience in the pivotal number six jersey for Wednesday night's Origin II at the Olympic stadium.

Daley says although Barrett's vast experience was a key factor in his selection, the Blues also felt Campese may not have been the right fit for Gidley's style of play.

"We just noticed there were opportunities in that first game where there were chances on the edges to use the football," he said.

"Terry, while he is a natural runner of the football, hasn't been doing that and a lot of his plays are either short at the line or a second man play to his full-back roaming around.

"Kurt Gidley is not a player that plays that style - Kurt Gidley is a bloke who plays on the ball and Trent Barrett has got a lovely pass and can give it either side of his body."

Daley says former Blues half-back Brett Kimmorley had also come under consideration for a place in the halves before selectors decided to retain Peter Wallace.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/grandstand/2009 ... gby_league

That'll f**kin do me, so Campese was dropped because gidley can't play like a fullback and not a half?

Sounds like Gidley should play lock then. Absolutely bloody ridiculous that they pick a bloke like Barrett just because Gidley decides that he's too good to play in a role that a usual fullback (and everyone else in the competition in that position) has no problem playing.

I understand that Gidley has to play like that for Newcastle, because apart from him there isn't a single decent first-grader in that team and he obviously doesn't trust anyone but himself to make the plays (and for that I can't blame him), but when it comes to Origin he needs to realise that he doesn't need to be the man all the time. It's probably a strange feeling for him, being surrounded by players that have an IQ above 20, but it's something he'll need to get used to if he's to be considered anything more than a good club player.

Timmah

Staff member
Why not try some analysis not laced with anti-Newcastle bias for once? :lol:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Sounds like Gidley should play lock then. Absolutely bloody ridiculous that they pick a bloke like Barrett just because Gidley decides that he's too good to play in a role that a usual fullback (and everyone else in the competition in that position) has no problem playing.

I understand that Gidley has to play like that for Newcastle, because apart from him there isn't a single decent first-grader in that team and he obviously doesn't trust anyone but himself to make the plays (and for that I can't blame him), but when it comes to Origin he needs to realise that he doesn't need to be the man all the time. It's probably a strange feeling for him, being surrounded by players that have an IQ above 20, but it's something he'll need to get used to if he's to be considered anything more than a good club player.

:lol:........just :lol:

Timmah

Staff member
:lol: You're a deadset gee-up.

What I hope happens:

2. Hayne
3. Monaghan
18. Morris
4. Lyon
5. Williams
1. Gidley
6. Barrett

Interchange:
7. Wallace

Sir Biffo

Bench
:lol: You're a deadset gee-up.

What I hope happens:

2. Hayne
3. Monaghan
18. Morris
4. Lyon
5. Williams
1. Gidley
6. Barrett

Interchange:
7. Wallace

It's a bit concerning that basically every player has to learn a new position in the backline, but bringing Morris in sort of forces that.

I would rather see Hayne to fullback and Gidley to the bench (only to be used in case of injury, otherwise to join the immortals Ken McGuinness and Aaron Raper ..), Monaghan to wing and Morris into centre.

Barrett to talk to the referee.

Timmah

Staff member
Problem then becomes benching the captain. I'd do it but, he's the captain.

Sir Biffo

Bench
Problem then becomes benching the captain. I'd do it but, he's the captain.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Barrett has got far more rep experience than Gidley, and generally a much cooler head on his shoulders (forgetting the PJ Marsh incident ...). I know it will look silly, but the selectors look stupid enough with some of their picks, surely this can't make them look any stupider?

Stremo

Juniors
Maybe the fans should pick the origin team by some sort of vote then we might win and not get flogged by qld the first I would get rid of is wallace second lyon he doesnt even wana play rep footy monaghan what has he ever done NOTHING changes I would make half back kimmorly hes been there before hes in good form a great combo with barrett I would put cooper in the centres great defender he also would compliment barretts game with the backline qld has got you need a good defender in cooper its not like NSW are going to win by 30 points or more its going to be close so you need to keep there scoring down and cooper would do this I would of put ben hornby in there for wing he can play anywhere and I would put one of the morris brothers in there they are both playing good.

Wallace=Kimmorly
Monaghan= Morris
Wing Hurt cant play=Hornby
Lyon=Cooper
The forward pack seems ok I wouldnt change the front pack
I also think gidley would have a bigger impact of the bench and barrett to be captain barrett is a veteran he was captain at dragons sharks now if he was captain the younger players would show him alot of respect on the field.
I also question williams selection bit of a gamble I can think of other players that deserve to be there.
I know alot would not agree but where is willie Mason is he hurt ??? I would really be tempted to pick him big mean agressive player everyone hates him he would put some fear in to the Qld team I know if I were to play for QLD and heard mason I would be worried.

Sir Biffo

Bench
Maybe the fans should pick the origin team by some sort of vote then we might win and not get flogged by qld the first I would get rid of is wallace second lyon he doesnt even wana play rep footy monaghan what has he ever done NOTHING changes I would make half back kimmorly hes been there before hes in good form a great combo with barrett I would put cooper in the centres great defender he also would compliment barretts game with the backline qld has got you need a good defender in cooper its not like NSW are going to win by 30 points or more its going to be close so you need to keep there scoring down and cooper would do this I would of put ben hornby in there for wing he can play anywhere and I would put one of the morris brothers in there they are both playing good.

Wallace=Kimmorly
Monaghan= Morris
Wing Hurt cant play=Hornby
Lyon=Cooper
The forward pack seems ok I wouldnt change the front pack
I also think gidley would have a bigger impact of the bench and barrett to be captain barrett is a veteran he was captain at dragons sharks now if he was captain the younger players would show him alot of respect on the field.
I also question williams selection bit of a gamble I can think of other players that deserve to be there.
I know alot would not agree but where is willie Mason is he hurt ??? I would really be tempted to pick him big mean agressive player everyone hates him he would put some fear in to the Qld team I know if I were to play for QLD and heard mason I would be worried.

Use punctuation please.

And Willie Mason

:lol:

He's injured, but :lol:

Timmah

Staff member
Allowing a poll for fans to pick the team would result in State of Origin being renamed Parramatta v Queensland.

Sir Biffo

Bench
Allowing a poll for fans to pick the team would result in State of Origin being renamed Parramatta v Queensland.

Canberra fans would be all over it like a rash. Didn't they swamp a DT poll for best player with votes for Toddy C???

Latest posts