What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

09 :: Origin II :: QLD 24 NSW 14 @ ANZ :: Wed 24 Jun

Origin II Winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stremo

Juniors
Parra sacked there second best player finchy is in melbourne now nsw would be even more screwed .

Sleep

Juniors
I wonder what will happen if Wallace is having a good game but NSW are still struggling. Could be a chance Morris will ride the pine until the 70th minute. :lol:

Garts

Bench
Stupid decision bringing in Morris. Very little impact from the bench. In saying that I hope he goes well. He deserves his shot. Just not as a bench utility.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Spot on... and it concerns me his Origin prowess in future years could be dismissed due to his bench selection tomorrow night.

Garts

Bench
Morris is a great player and in form. But there is no point changing a backline around to after 60 minutes to fit him in. Unfair for him to get a token 5 minute appearance just because he is on the bench. Although if there is a injury in the backs it will work out well.

I would actually rather Gidley be benched with Morris starting. Although no chance that will happen. I just do not rate Gidley.

Stremo

Juniors
Does anyone think gidley being captain in the first game put a bit of unwanted pressure on him he made some mistakes for him you dont see very often.
I read that if wallace doesnt perform in the first half barrett to half and gidley to fill the 6 if this is the case will it be to late to switch halfway have they trained like this if wallace knows this is the case it might put to much presure on himself to perform how can they expect him to play well if he knows this .what on earth are they doing
I think that morris starting is a better idea morris is not a impact player from the bench but gidley is they should give the captaincy to barrett and when gidley comes off the bench just let him roam I think lock would be his better starting spot

Sleep

Juniors
I too hope it doesn't wreck Morris future chances. I was pretty surprised the selectors stuck with Jennings and Lyon to be honest. Neither had played since the previous Origin. They were far and away the best option leading into game one but as I said, not playing a minute since then is a worry.

Timmah

Staff member
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25682980-5018993,00.html

Queenslands Origin preparations have been hit by stomach virus

By Wayne Heming
June 24, 2009 Queensland's smooth State of Origin build-up has hit a hurdle just hours before Wednesday night's kick off with several players being treated for a stomach virus which swept through the Maroons camp overnight.
Team doctor Roy Saunders said several players, including forwards Nate Myles and Dallas Johnson, had been vomiting and suffering from diarrhoea.

Skipper Darren Lockyer is believed to be one of the players under treatment but Saunders declined to name the other ill players.

At this stage the Maroons have no plans to rush in any back-up players but that could change later in the day if their conditions worsen.

However Queensland's 18th man Neville Costigan has been in camp with the Maroons all week and the hard-hitting Dragons forward can slot into the side if required.

Dr Saunders said the main concern was that the players would be severely dehydrated because of their vomiting and diarrhoea.

Myles and Johnson were the first confirmed sick players on Tuesday night.

"The situation is that we have a number of players who have had upset tummies, vomiting and diarrhoea who are not well enough at the moment," said Dr Saunders before the players traditional team walk through the streets of Parramatta.

"It's an evolving situation. We'll monitor them during the day, see how they go and then make some decisions later on this afternoon.

"It will all depend on how well they pull up.

"I'm monitoring them and trying to keep their hydration levels up and trying to keep the symptoms at bay."

Dr Saunders said "hopefully" they would all be fit to play.

"We have to give some of the players anti-medications to control the vomiting and diarrhoea," he said.

All the players, including those affected by the virus, took part in the 15-minute team walk where they were heckled and cheered and even had a few photos taken.

Myles was bed-ridden on Tuesday and missed Queensland's final training run at ANZ Stadium.

"He's up and about, but up and about is different from being able to play Origin," Dr Saunders said on Wednesday.

mxlegend99

Referee
QLD are just trying to make themselves underdogs again. They also want an excuse in the unlikely event of a loss. Waste of time IMO. They will mop the floor with NSW even if they had to do it with 13 men.

Shorty

Staff member
^ Or they're actually crook, LOL who would have thought?!
They'll be fine.

Charlie124

First Grade
Its one of those stomach bugs that only comes around on the eve of state of origin EVERY YEAR.

deadset some people will believe anything.

Timmah

Staff member
Care to show me the story before any game last year? :?

Tommax25

Bench
I am not in Australia right now so I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to stream the game live? Feel free to PM if you dont want to post it publicly for whatever reason.