What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

09 :: R12 Fri :: Dragons 38 Panthers 10 @ WIN Wollongong

Round 12 :: Dragons v Panthers

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Firey_Dragon

Coach
:lol: We're far from full strength also. We're missing Michael Jennings, Michael Gordon, Petero Civoniceva, Trent Waterhouse and Luke Lewis. Those are our most experienced and most dangerous players.
Michael Gordon is take it or leave it.

We're missing Jeremy Smith, Ben Creagh, Michael Weyman, Justin Poore and Matt Prior that is our entire starting pack gone.

Saffy is returning from injury early to cover the gap.

Cooper and Boyd gone as well.

That is 6 representative standard players from our side gone. I think we have the depth to cover for the injuries, but this period has hit us harder than most when you take into account our injuries as well.

It shapes as a very interesting matchup.

Sleep

Juniors
Michael Gordon is a pretty good player. Very handy goal kicker, good support play and solid defender especially for his size. He's far better than the guys we'll have running out tonight.

Sleep

Juniors
The weather has taken a turn for the worst. It's cloudy and overcast now. Pray the rain stays away.

pantherz9103

First Grade
On paper the Dragons team appears better equipped to deal with the loss of players than ours and we have a sh*t record for decades in Wollongong. But I still remain hopeful that our defence will have the same attitude as last week and we'll put up a good fight and maybe sneak a win, but the Dragons are certainly worthy favourites and would be disappointed if they dropped this one against a team of kids.

mxlegend99

Referee
Michael Gordon is take it or leave it.
Michael Gordon is the most consistant and reliable player in our backline. He's also the best goalkicker at the Panthers. If he could stay fit for an entire season, he would certainly figure into Origin calculations. IMO he is a much better winger then James McManus.

We're missing Jeremy Smith, Ben Creagh, Michael Weyman, Justin Poore and Matt Prior that is our entire starting pack gone.
It's almost impossible for the Panthers to lose their entire starting pack, as the only 3 blokes who are guaranteed starters in our pack are Waterhouse, Lewis and Petero. We've lost those 3 blokes. The other starting frontrow spot and backrow spot seem to change each week. Pritchard is usually dropped back to the bench each week.

Saffy is returning from injury early to cover the gap.
We have Brad Tighe returning from injury. But in all honesty that's a bigger advantage to the Dragons then the Panthers. He's good for butchering atleast one certain try each game.

That is 6 representative standard players from our side gone. I think we have the depth to cover for the injuries, but this period has hit us harder than most when you take into account our injuries as well.
Of the teams playing this weekend, Panthers and Dragons are definitely the most effected. Especially when you consider how young or side is compared to most at full strength, and then look at how much of our experience we're missing now. We're going to be the most effected IMO.

Our most experienced players are now Paul Aiton, Frank Puletua and Nathan Smith. The closest thing we have to a leader in the side now, is probably Jarrod Sammut.

edit
Forgot Frank Pritchard. He's going to have to step up bigtime to give us any sort of chance.

Last edited:

Lambretta

First Grade
It'll be an interesting game, I think we'll still get up but I hate origin, it robs the competition of some quality match-ups throughout the season.

You seem to have a short memory

Look at the easy ride the Dragons had through Origin last season, at a time when they were playing horrible football and lacked any form of confidence.

You played the Storm who had two or three regular first team players. Then you played the Broncos who were a shadow of their normal side. You won both games and then went on a streak of wins which meant you ended in the top 8.

Had you played full strength sides - in the form you were in, you'd have probably gone on to contest the spoon. You were just that bad.

Sometimes Origin can be as much of a blessing for clubs who are struggling as it is for clubs that lose their better players for a week or two.

Firey_Dragon

Coach

Look at the easy ride the Dragons had through Origin last season, at a time when they were playing horrible football and lacked any form of confidence.

You played the Storm who had two or three regular first team players. Then you played the Broncos who were a shadow of their normal side. You won both games and then went on a streak of wins which meant you ended in the top 8.

Had you played full strength sides - in the form you were in, you'd have probably gone on to contest the spoon. You were just that bad.

Sometimes Origin can be as much of a blessing for clubs who are struggling as it is for clubs that lose their better players for a week or two.
Considering we had won 3 in a row BEFORE the origin period, and only played the storm who were substantially hit. Titans weren't hit badly (only missing 2 players from memory, the same as us). At the same token you can only play what is put in front of you. It seems it is you that has the selective short memory not I. However, I'm not bragging about last year.

Who cares if we won during that period, our side was just making up the numbers in the 8 last year. This year we are the real deal, and I've always held the opinion that rep games should not affect club games, irrespective of whether we're on the good or bad end of the result.

Lambretta

First Grade
Who cares if we won during that period, our side was just making up the numbers in the 8 last year. This year we are the real deal, and I've always held the opinion that rep games should not affect club games, irrespective of whether we're on the good or bad end of the result.

Look I agree with ya mate. I was having a friendly dig. I always hated it when the Roosters lost so many players to Origin duties and then there were the injuries etc etc etc.

But the only other option is suspending the NRL altogether and that prolongs the season and means players who take part in Origin will have to play another 3 games etc.

Plus the current model does give some opportunities to players who would otherwise have to wait for first grade games. There's an upside. It just sucks when you lose because you're depleted. I feel ya pain mate.

sting

Bench

yawn

f**k off gronk

on topic, saints 22 - 6

Lambretta

First Grade
Any source for waterhouse being out or is that speculation?

Injury update had him listed as returning round 12

However the Sydney Morning Herald late mail section has confirmed that Waterhouse is definately out because of the eye injury.

Dragons to win then.

Gaba

First Grade

The storm game you probably would be right. the others you are wrong

the dragons were most likely going to beat the broncos and titans no matter when they played.

7 times the dragons beat Broncos in a row, Broncos were close to near full strength teams during those loses and the dragons form has been roughly the same, the dragons were mainly mid pack

First time ever the dragons have faced a real depleted broncos team ever since the broncs came into the comp,

Like the re match the broncos were the stronger of the two teams and dragons still beat them

the titans and dragons both had the same number of players out . in round 2 both teams full strength dragons won by 18,

Your theory was blown out there

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
Had to go Panthers after Cooper withdrew. I just think the Panthers still have too much firepower, especially in the forwards.

Latest posts