What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

09 :: R19 Fri DH :: Bulldogs 23 Titans 16 @ Suncorp

Round 19 :: Bulldogs v Titans

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
I think they will have to.. To beat the in-form 'Dogs after a Monday to Friday turn around would certainly be a good effort.

ouwet

Bench
I think they will have to.. To beat the in-form 'Dogs after a Monday to Friday turn around would certainly be a good effort.

I think people should take them seriously regardless of Friday’s result... However Monday to Friday disadvantage is crap IMHO... The Bulldogs game finished at 5.45pm (AEST) on Sunday... the boys had to travel back to Sydney from NZ before going to QLD, + We've got 3 players coming back from origin (maybe 4 in Patten) and a few injuries/suspensions...

If anything the Bulldogs are more disadvantaged then the Titans... And by Gold Coast not playing Campbell on Monday, it shows IMO (And Gould's) they were thinking and planning about the Bulldogs anyways (As shown by the way they played), while the Titans game would have been the last thing on the Bulldogs mind against the Warriors (due to the depleted team).

Last edited:

jimmythehand

Juniors
Don't agree. Hazem is a true legend, he deserves to see out the year. It's not as though he is bad, either. He is still solid. And his goal kicking is still the best ever.

You say 2 games we've lost this year because of his goal kicking? Can't say that's a true statement. Teams don't loose because a kicker misses a couple of goals. We lost to the Titans in round 3 by 8 points as we were simply out played. We lost to Dragons in round 10, I won't even touch that.. We lost too Knights because we just were not on our game and we lost to Manly because we were severely out played. None of the losses had anything to do with Hazems kicking.

well it's a bit of an exaggeration to say he lost the game, but the fact is he was out-kicked which kept us out of the game when it could have kept us in the game had he been on target.

won't it just be ironic - I can see it happening now - Hazem the legend deserves to see out the year and win a premiership, yet we won't win the premiership because he's too slow to turn and chase and the opposition scores the match winning try, or he fails to finish off a break because he's too slow (ala Cowboys semi final 2 years ago which even Luke Covell would have scored) and it costs us the game? Or a giant winger runs over the top of him or out leaps him to score.

Not to mention the fact we get bogged down in our 20 metres because he gets dominated each and every time he gets involved.

Plenty of smarts and class, but too many deficiencies in a key position that other teams can readily exploit.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
well it's a bit of an exaggeration to say he lost the game, but the fact is he was out-kicked which kept us out of the game when it could have kept us in the game had he been on target.

won't it just be ironic - I can see it happening now - Hazem the legend deserves to see out the year and win a premiership, yet we won't win the premiership because he's too slow to turn and chase and the opposition scores the match winning try, or he fails to finish off a break because he's too slow (ala Cowboys semi final 2 years ago which even Luke Covell would have scored) and it costs us the game? Or a giant winger runs over the top of him or out leaps him to score.

Not to mention the fact we get bogged down in our 20 metres because he gets dominated each and every time he gets involved.

Plenty of smarts and class, but too many deficiencies in a key position that other teams can readily exploit.
Rubbish rubbish rubbish...

How often do the above actually happen to Hazem? For all the targeting of Hazem teams do, he doesn't get beaten much. He's still a tremendous reader in defence, he still knows how to finish off a backline movement and get himself on the end of Noddy's or Roberts' kicking.

Some of the stuff you've written seems to attack him for the sake of it, he's still got plenty of upper body strength when he makes hit-ups, apart from the odd sideways run he usually is handy out of dummy half on tackle one coming out of our own half.

I don't see any reason we can't win the premiership with him there.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
Well said Timmah. He is great at giving the big boys a rest coming out of our own end. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with his goal kicking, either.

jimmythehand

Juniors
Yes I know what he can offer and you make some valid points, but I'm concerned about what he can't offer

tell me the last time he finished off a backline movement from more than 10 metres out? 5 metres out even. Some of his tries this year have been brilliant that most other wingers wouldn't have scored, yes there is some El Magic left, but there's a lot he won't do for us too.

I'm not worried about how often these defensive deficiencies are exploited, I'm worried about the distinct possibility that they will happen at a crucial time and cost us a premiership. Just like his failure to score that try against the Cowboys cost us a win in a semi-final.

Are you serious about his hitups? He never, ever, gets us good momentum from a hitup, and 90% of the time gets a dominant tackle against him, putting more pressure on our forwards and team to make good field position. And he will never make a break from a kick return either.

Safe as a house, but also moves as fast as a house.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
tell me the last time he finished off a backline movement from more than 10 metres out? 5 metres out even. Some of his tries this year have been brilliant that most other wingers wouldn't have scored, yes there is some El Magic left, but there's a lot he won't do for us too.
I've found him instrumental from close range and that's where he's handy. We have Idris down that flank for now for any long range stuff, but more importantly we have speedsters down the other flank. I don't see who is of better quality to replace him with - Crisp lacks confidence when he pulls on a Dogs jersey from memory, and Winitana and Utai are crap. Nanai hasn't seen FG this year... what do you propose? Hazem's our best option there IMO.
I'm not worried about how often these defensive deficiencies are exploited, I'm worried about the distinct possibility that they will happen at a crucial time and cost us a premiership. Just like his failure to score that try against the Cowboys cost us a win in a semi-final.
I'm past the point of caring that we go "that extra step"... we've outshone most teams this year and did the completely unexpected turnaround, a top four finish is good enough for me. Unceremoniously booting El Masri because some bloke on a forum thinks he's got deficiencies is rubbish. Lockyer has crap defence and he's in his twilight, should Brisbane and QLD punt him too?
Are you serious about his hitups? He never, ever, gets us good momentum from a hitup, and 90% of the time gets a dominant tackle against him, putting more pressure on our forwards and team to make good field position. And he will never make a break from a kick return either.

Safe as a house, but also moves as fast as a house.
Yet remains the second-top pointscorer in the comp and will probably re-claim that mantle in 48 hours from now.

jimmythehand

Juniors
Yes I've made that point before too Timmah, who do you replace him with? Certainly none that you mentioned, but I'm thinking possibly Millard in the centres and Idris on the wing would bolster our team. Idris often defends like a winger when on our tryline, so put him on the wing and that takes another weak link out of the chain. And then we've got a big winger to take hitups in the 20m and get us a nice roll-on early in the tackle count or possibly even make a big break.

If Goodwin was our goal kicker then he'd be top point scorer for the league...

I don't think it would be an uncermonious dumping as such. You might recall that the thought has crossed K Moores mind earlier in the year that we have better options than Hazem. "Once he gets the record he'll be playing for his spot like any other player".... Utai on the bench one match, Hazem replaced before the end of it....

On the matter of 'dumping', would it be fair to dump Millard?

Last edited:

0neye

LORDPOFFO SAID, CANT WAIT TO SEE THE DOGGIES GIVE IT TO THE BEACH BUM BOY'S;-)

23676348.jpg

Timmah

Staff member
Goodwin goalkicker? Ennis will get a run before him.

It would be fair to dump Millard too IMO, he's still error-prone.
I'm still a bit miffed Utai was named for Friday too tbh.

ouwet

Bench
has this game/double header sold over the 50k mark yet?

Pretty much sold out...

GoldAlloc. Exhausted
MaroonSingle seats only
BlueAlloc. Exhausted
Blue UnlicensedAlloc. Exhausted
WhiteSingle seats only
White UnlicensedSingle seats only
Rabbitohs Away BayAlloc. Exhausted
Bulldogs Support BayAlloc. Exhausted
Gold Restrict ViewAlloc. Exhausted
Maroon Restrict ViewSingle seats only
Blue Restrict ViewSingle seats only
White Restrict ViewSingle seats only

Timmah

Staff member
Bulldogs' Jamal Idris could be shock inclusion for Gold Coast Titans clash

By Matt Marshall
July 17, 2009 Bulldogs powerhouse centre Jamal Idris could be a shock inclusion for the Bulldogs in Friday night's heavyweight bout against Gold Coast Titans at Suncorp Stadium.
Teammate Michael Ennis told The Footy Show on Thursday night Idris, who has been sidelined with a dislocated elbow, was poised to be rushed back.
Ennis, who was heavily involved for NSW in the Blues 28-16 win over Queensland on Wednesday, declared he would back up for Friday night's game despite a cheek injury.
Titans No. 7 Scott Prince is banking on a vastly improved effort from veteran halves partner Mat Rogers against the Bulldogs.
Alongside co-captain Luke Bailey and Mark Minichiello, Rogers was one of three key Titans to return from injury in last Monday night's win against Parramatta.
But the 33-year-old pivot endured a tough night at the office, with a rare shocker in his return game.
Gold Coast enter the Suncorp Stadium clash, which follows the Broncos versus Bunnies bout, alongside the Bulldogs in equal second spot on the NRL ladder.
With outright second and a hefty psychological boost on offer, Prince expects Rogers to bounce back to top form.
"Good old Rat had an up-and-down game (against the Eels), but he'll be sweet," Prince said.

"He knows himself he was pretty happy to get that one out of the way and still walk off the park a winner."
As both teams continue to chase Wayne Bennett's St George Illawarra at the top of the table, the game is a golden opportunity for the Titans to continue their quest for a top-four finish leading into a near-certain maiden finals campaign.
"It's a real good test at a venue that's a double-header, sell-out crowd, centre stage," Prince said.
"It's a night we're all looking forward to and I'm sure the Doggies will be too."
Maroons forward Ash Harrison (ankle) trained on Thursday and is expected to play alongside Minichiello, who has recovered from a bruised knee.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25794329-5018866,00.html

Timmah

Staff member
That's some considerable starch lost from your forward pack. If we've got Idris, look out.