What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

09 :: R24 Sun :: Storm 16 Sea Eagles 20 @ Olympic

Round 24 :: Storm v Sea Eagles

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

effnic

Bench
Got nothing to do with the fact that both teams will just be making up the numbers come the finals.

Cant agree with you there. All i see is 2 great team with plenty of finals experience and no pressure what so ever vs a whole bunch of teams who have all the pressure and hardly any recent finals experience between the lot of them.

Cant agree with you there. All i see is 2 great team with plenty of finals experience and no pressure what so ever vs a whole bunch of teams who have all the pressure and hardly any recent finals experience between the lot of them.

Agree...if Manly play Dragons or Titans in the finals then I would be putting my money on Manly.

Experience counts for a lot.

bennoonthehill

Juniors
Perry - we're not scared of anyone

* By Dean Ritchie
* August 19, 2009

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...scared-of-anyone/story-e6frexnr-1225763502020

THEY are confronting an 11-year hoodoo in Melbourne, but Manly prop Josh Perry yesterday ensured an explosive build-up to Sunday's match against the Storm by declaring: "We're not scared of anyone."

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that premiers Manly - and the previous Northern Eagles - have never won in Melbourne since the Storm's inception back in 1998.

During that period, the Eagles have lost all seven games - six at Olympic Park and one at Etihad Stadium (formerly Colonial Stadium) - but Perry is unconcerned at his club's miserable record in Victoria and believes Manly can still secure successive NRL titles.

"We are right in the thick of it, despite everything that has gone on this year," Perry said. "We'll still finish fifth or sixth.

"But we're not scared of anyone. There is still a lot of confidence in the camp. We have the team to go back-to-back.

"The Storm and Dragons look pretty good but anyone in the top eight can do the job. We're looking forward to the big one against Melbourne. I'm not sure how many competition points will get teams into the finals, we just want to win all our games.

"We have played against Melbourne in the last two Grand Finals - there is always plenty of rivalry, especially down there, where we haven't won for a while."

Manly are adamant injured fullback Brett Stewart will not return for this game, with his comeback likely to be against Cronulla next weekend at Brookvale.

Jeez what would we do without the Tele to 'reveal' statistics any nuffy with acess to google could easily discover?

Manly in a tight one. Hopefully that's not just wishful thinking.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Punters bet on Stewart to play

* By Dean Ritchie
* August 20, 2009 6:53PM

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-stewart-to-play/story-e6frexnr-1225764492230

PUNTERS yesterday outlayed more than $50,000 on Manly to beat Melbourne this weekend - because they think Brett Stewart will play.

Stewart will fly to Melbourne with the Sea Eagles for Sunday's grand final replay but club officials are adamant the former Test fullback will not make his much-anticipated return. Manly claim Stewart is likely to return the following weekend for the Brookvale match against Cronulla.

But punters are sceptical about Manly's claim Stewart won't play."They are assuming Brett Stewart is playing,'' said TAB Sportsbet spokesman Glenn Munsie.

"We are also wary given the amount of money Manly is attracting. They was no money for them then suddenly the punters are flocking to them. We are thinking: `What's going on here'. I don't think he will play. I think he will return for the club's next home match.

"But I think the punters have convinced themselves Stewart will run out on Sunday.''

Should Manly start Sunday's match as favourites, it would be the first time since round 24, 2004, that Melbourne will start a home match as outsiders. Manly was $2.10 outsiders but are equal favourites at $1.90.

"Brett won't be playing,'' said senior Manly official Peter Peters. "He will be going to Melbourne to meet with sponsors.''

Downie

Guest Moderator
Well I was speaking to my mate Dutchy who was speaking to his mate Hobes who reckons Snake won't be playing this weekend.

In the know :cool:

:sarcasm:

gong_eagle

First Grade
third hand news, reminds me the old game where you whisper something in someones ear & the whole story changes

Carnifex

Juniors
intrested in seeing how the storm boys respond to this game. We have a great side but if dont fire against manly then i think we might just be making up the numbers in the finals.

Disco

Bench
I tend to think Stewart will play.

Nothing really to base it on except for the fact that Manly are really pushing the point that he is not playing. I mean the quote where they said his travelling with the team but only to watch the team seemed odd to me

Downie

Guest Moderator
Maybe they'll have Stewart in the number 19 to give him a good 30 minutes off the bench in the second half.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Hard to back Melbourne after the tripe they dished up on Monday night vs Newcastle. With that said, I will be happy if they can keep Manly at bay here given the tightness of the NRL table.

gong_eagle

First Grade
From http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2009/aug/23/sea-eagles-put-rest-q-cup-notice/

"While the rest of the Sea Eagles were looking ahead to the club’s first ever finals match against the Central Comets in Rockhampton, L’Estrange was readying himself for a mad dash to the airport.

Despite turning out for the Sunshine Coast, he will travel to Melbourne as Manly’s 18th man for their Grand Final replay with the Storm today."

Terry-Randal

Juniors
I wasnt impresses with manly against the roosters our tries were flukey and it didnt look good im gonna tip the storm just have no confidence in our team any more. I think were missing some good defensive players we lost last year , beaver,Bell and Bryant(who was our best defensive forward last year. Also Brett stewert is a great defender ) This is been the reason why our defence has been bad all year.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
It is getting close to being do or die for Manly. I think we need to win. Doubt Snake is playing. Shame though. We really need him today.