1/3Term Wonder? Malcolm Turnbull

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by whall15, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

He's really mirroring Gillard, depose PM, check, Scrape through election losing a bunch of seats - check.

And just like Gillard he's managing to get through a fair bit of legislation , tax, education , security et al, and just like with Gillard the people have tuned out, the only show in town is the circus.

All that remains to be seen is how many deckchairs on the Titanic will Abbott "save".

2. Desert Qlder

Desert Qlder First Grade

This is fallacious, to the point of being downright misleading. For two reasons.

Firstly, Gillard did not have to water down her legislation to the point it was barely recognisable from the first draft. Crossbench senators know Turnbull is a severely weakened figure, whom they can extract a great deal before a deal is reached. They do so in almost every piece of policy brought before them. Gillard never made such concessions. Her policies, whether you agreed with them or not, were not cooked up to placate either the extreme elements of her party or by some mystical 'lurch to the right' to shore up her leadership.

Turnbull also works with a highly favourable media in his corner. Fairfax and the ABC are quite desperate for him to succeed. The last week has painted him as a mere victim of the wrecking tactics of Abbott. No mention of his own campaign of destabilisation and leaking under Abbott, no mention of his destruction of the NBN, no mention that he is a committed neo-liberal himself. Whereas Gillard was copping it from all quarters on a daily basis, Turnbull has political analysts urging us that 'Australia needs Turnbull to succeed'. Gillard would stand and answer questions from journos for an hour, Turnbull will cut and run from a press conference when things get a little hot.

While the numbers may reflect, the circumstances of the Gillard and Turnbull PMships are quite different from one another.

3. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

Well bill it's great we have you in here to shed light on Turnbull's inadequacy.

If you had a choice of two PM's Abbott or Turnbull who would you prefer ?

4. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Hardly, Gillard negotiated her way through her Prime Minister ship, despite that, the level of compromise isn't particularly relevant to what I posted.

Take the red goggles off and see things for what they are, Turnbull is passing legislation, if he or his cabinet didn't believe the final forms of said legislation weren't to their liking, they wouldn't table them. Whatever compromises are reached, well, that's democracy at work.

The point was though people have switched off, they aint listening, regardless, and that's the correlation, not some backwards idea about who's getting bent over more than the other, and by whom.

butchmcdick likes this.
  5. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

Paul Murray’s spectacular Sky dummy spit
    Leaked tapes of Christopher Pyne left Sky News’ chief ranter fuming

PAUL MURRAY: This is the type of bloke who, to use the Aussie-ism, if you were on fire he wouldn’t piss on you. This is the bloke who if he was at a social function and he met you, he’d be looking for someone more important than you. That’s the measure of this wanker.

— Sky News, Paul Murray Live, 26 June, 2017

Hello, I’m Paul Barry, welcome to Media Watch.

And that was Sky’s Paul Murray spitting the dummy in spectacular fashion over the sins of Coalition frontbencher Christopher Pyne, whom Murray described in a six-minute tirade last Monday as:

‘… pissweak …’

‘… useless …’

‘… an arsehole …’

‘… wanker …’

the ‘… minister for pork barrelling …’,

and much much more…

Well I find it disgusting that this man, who I repeat wouldn’t piss on you if you were on fire, wastes your time and our air.

On and on it went.

Until Murray, who plays wingman for team Abbott, kicked on by telling Coalition viewers:
    PAUL MURRAY: Go and join Cory Bernardi’s party. Stop letting people like Christopher Pyne abuse you

So why the torrent of vitriol?

Well as a Tele exclusive had revealed that morning under the headline:

LEFT IN GAY ABANDON

SECRET TAPE

— Daily Telegraph, 26 June, 2017

A recording of Christopher Pyne addressing a moderate Liberal party function had been leaked to News Corp columnist Andrew Bolt.

And, after a day of hue and cry, and just before Murray went to air, Bolt had played it on his program:

CHRISTOPHER PYNE: So, we are in the winner’s circle, friends, we are in the winner’s circle…but we have to deliver a couple of things and one of those we’ve got to deliver before too long is marriage equality in this country

— Sky News, Bolt Report, 26 June, 2017

It’s hard to know what most upset the Right.

But whether it was the promise to fast track same-sex marriage or the boast that moderates controlled the Liberal Party, Andrew Bolt was quite clear what it meant:

ANDREW BOLT: This is likely to start a civil war in the Turnbull government and the beginning of the end for Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull

And with that, Sky’s cavalcade of conservative commentators lined on the old king’s side.

Starting with Abbott’s former chief of staff, Peta Credlin, who charged that the Liberal Party was now a ‘plaything’:

PETA CREDLIN: For men with really small minds, for little men with soft, soft backbones, with no ticker, no heart and no soul. That’s who is running the Liberal Party now

One hour later, former Queensland Premier Campbell Newman was also on Sky to tell Turnbull to lay down his arms:

CAMPBELL NEWMAN: He’s got to do the right thing. I’m saying it really clearly tonight. He’s gotta resign. He has to resign. He has led the Liberal party into the valley of death

— Sky News, Beattie and Reith, 26 June, 2017

There’s long been talk of the Foxification of Sky News. And since News Corp took full ownership in December it’s been looking and sounding more and more like it’s famous American counterpart, especially in the evenings, when its conservative commentators are often in furious agreement.

And on this occasion even Sky’s Graham Richardson applauded Murray for his foul-mouthed attack.

GRAHAM RICHARDSON : That was a spectacular opening might I say. The most spectacular opening to a show on this channel I have ever witnessed.

PAUL MURRAY: God love ya

— Sky News, PM Live, 26 June, 2017

Wanker? Arsehole? Piss weak? Imagine the reaction if ABC commentators took to the Coalition or anyone else like that.

Perhaps it’s understandable why John Menadue, who ran Rupert Murdoch’s Australian news empire in the 1970s, argued recently that News Corp should not be allowed to get any more powerful:

JOHN MENADUE: It is not just rogue individuals it’s a rogue organisation and the Australian government should resist any attempt to expand the media power of the News organisation, which already controls 60 to 70 per cent of the metropolitan media in Australia.”

— 774 ABC Melbourne, Mornings, 23 June, 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4695558.htm

If this was the abc screaming uncle tone wouldn't piss on you if you're on fire there would be outrage (and rightly so)

I mean things got nasty during Rudd Gillard but a host on Sky having a tanty about Mal while spectacular is pretty counter intuitive to reassuring the voters the Libs deserve to be power

Talk about doing shortens work for him

6. Surely

Maybe it's guys like this who should join with Cory

Liberal doesn't fit in the description of the party they want.

butchmcdick likes this.
  7. 2_Smoking_Guns

2_Smoking_Guns First Grade

nobody hates like the left....

8. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

its probably annoying because the extremists have always known that pyne is a moderate but thought he was at least a good solider.

Now hidden video has come out of him attacking lord abbott and its on. Time to kill the moderate

9. bazza

bazza Coach

These righties don't care who is in government - they just like to be outraged

cleary89 and Pete Cash like this.
  10. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

i know you didnt ask me but i will answer anyway

i would always rather a guy like abbott. for one thing he is more beatable so the kind of selfish desire to get the right out of office asap kicks in but to abbotts credit i know what he stands for. I also think at heart he isn't a complete monster.

where turnbull would sell his family for a couple of bucks and he stands for whatever will get him power. All politicians have their issues that they care about. Turnbull maybe cares about the environment and the republic. Outside of that its kind of hard to say he stands for anything at all.

11. bazza

bazza Coach

I would think the same about Abbott - he has even said so himself

12. Desert Qlder

Desert Qlder First Grade

The electorate switching off Turnbull is one thing, but 'he's mirroring Gillard' is another thing altogether.

That is a rather forceful statement that doesn't bear close scrutiny. While the outline of their PMships have some resemblance, when one drills into the detail they are vastly different.

13. Mong

Mong Immortal

What was that comment again?

Andy B is writing how tones is a "crusader".

#conservatives

14. Desert Qlder

Desert Qlder First Grade

I liked Alan Jones painting him as the Jeff Horn of politics prior to their interview on Monday. Just exquisite delusion.

15. Surely

well alan would know a horn when he sees one

Brutus likes this.
  16. bazza

bazza Coach

http://www.smh.com.au/national/the-day-abbott-bared-his-soul-20110827-1jfgv.html

17. President Trump

President Trump Juniors

Tony Windsor is a mentally ill geriatric who achieved nothing in politics but his own humiliation when he hooked up with ugly homewrecker Julia Gillard.

18. Mong

Mong Immortal

19. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

It would seem that who ever is masquerading as President Trump wishes to be a bigger troll than you Mong.

Smelly bait though, so not likely to get to many bites.

20. Mong

Mong Immortal

Troll?

I'm outraged!! :joy: