1/3Term Wonder? Malcolm Turnbull

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by whall15, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo Immortal

Possibly. Or it might just be blatant politicking

That's up to Joe Public to decide

2. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

It'll probably be a private company challenging, to up their profits...

But even if it is Labor, Turnbull will probably still cope the blame for leaving himself open to this.

Maybe Labor is evil for doing this, but Turnbull is incompetent for letting it happen...

3. Spanner in the works

Spanner in the works Bench

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ut-inadequate-leadership-20171104-gzf0fl.html

This must be the fourth time in a week Kevin Andrews has said something about the PM's leadership.

On an unrelated (?) note, I saw Gary Hardgrave the other night, and he reckons we'll be having a general election by early next year. Also said Turnbull is terminal (among other conservative commentators). Simon Benson's article in The Australian the other day was interesting. He's got a reputation of been very well informed around the conservative/Coalition side of politics, and he essentially says Turnbull's core group of supporters are chattering, and that his hold on the leadership is no longer assured (including if it means going into Opposition). One article that has been discussed in the last week was a "...a Scott Morrison/Christian Porter ticket — in opposition." His article is here:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opi...d/news-story/c861db38027ca458d40e078d91650d9b

4. Hello, I'm The Doctor

JBish will be the last throw of the dice to stay in power...

Anything after that will be pretting for Opposition.

5. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

It all goes back to to this fundamental problem. Turnbull will simply quit if they knife him and Wentworth while nominally a safe seat might be interesting if they go to a by-election because Turnbull got dicked

That poll from before has Turnbull going to preferences and he is like the personification of the seat. They have a one seat majority. How much are they willing to bet labor or the greens cant pull an upset in Wentworth

6. cerberus

cerberus First Grade

bishop has more enemies than a wind turbine in funky bunch HQ

butchmcdick likes this.
  7. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

Everyones favourite day newspoll day. Lets see how turnbull is going.

Ok sure they are down by double digits and heading towards a bigger arse kicking than what labor copped in 2013 but mal is probably still popular right

Jesus he has a lower approval rating than Trump. Still he is obviously destroying bill shorten in preferred pm. Opposition leaders never have great preferred pm ratings and shorten isnt hugely charismatic

Wowsers

8. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

Its not impossible for labor to win bennelong at by election. Its a safe liberal seat and the numbers labor are polling on just a universal swing shouldnt quite be enough to win it but it will be an interesting test for Turnbull.

That said i dont know how popular the local bloke is and how much anger there is at him being done by this stupid citizen shit. I expect Barnaby to get a swing towards him for example as barns is both popular and locals seem to think the rules are shit.

9. Desert Qlder

Desert Qlder First Grade

Wait until SSM bill gets stymied.

Things are still to get worse for the Liberal Party.

Hello, I'm The Doctor likes this.
  10. Hello, I'm The Doctor

F*ck, Newspoll makes for some depressing reading for the Libs...

Im not even gonna pretend Shorten is suddenly doing well. The Libs are just doing SO badly.

to_ddeath likes this.
  11. madunit

madunit Super Moderator Staff Member

The biggest thing going for Turnbull is Dud Shorten as opposition leader. He's got the Kim Beasley's about him.

Good opposition leader when sniping from the sidelines, but has little to no idea on what to do if he won the election.

That's not to say that Abbott and Turnbull did have an idea.

12. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Yep, if there are any shenanigans from the RWNJs trying to block the bill, it will be coming to a head JUST before Bennalong goes to the polls.

Im not expecting Libs to lost the seat (though a big swing against them is a safe bet). But if SSM doesnt get up the Libs will be absolutely toxic to voters and it might become a real contest..

13. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Beazley had a few problems Shorten isnt facing...

He lost 1998 because of the huge majority Howard had (KB could have won if he had campaigned a bit differently, but its easy in hindsight), he lost 2001 because of the big security scares and he never had a "purpose" (after Hawke-Keating, Labor made themselves obsolete and KB never figured out the new form they needed to take).

Shorten only needs to take half a dozen seats (already done based on current polling), Turnbull's security scares just arent catching since Abbott went overboard with them and this time Labor know exactly what their purpose is (its actually the Libs who have no direction).

I also disagree that he doesnt know what he will do in government. Labor have put out a fair bit of pretty controversial policy all centre around a core purpose. Labor might start to run out of ideas in their second term, but they easily have enough to busy themselves with for a term and a bit...

14. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

I think shorten has been fine. He isnt a dazzling personality but he has let the liberals self destruct and applied pressure when needed. If he was more charismatic labor may have won in 2016 but thats a tough criticism because labor was in a horrendous position post 2013 and it would always be tough to go back into government straight after getting a massive arse kicking

Im not sure if any of this will translate to being a good pm but shorten either has some idea as opposition leader or the liberal party are to a man literal imbeciles and political incompetents

15. madunit

madunit Super Moderator Staff Member

Putting out policies is one thing. Rudd had plenty too.

Shorten doesn't strike me as someone I am confident having run the country.

I had zero confidence in Abbott, Turnbull and Gillard. Rudd had the confidence that convinced people he could run the country which caught a lot of people off guard I think (the Unions and long reign of Howard also helped Rudd). Turnbull looks to have followed down the Rudd path.

Labor always looks good in opposition. But watch them get in power and Shortens numbers drop down to Rudd/Gillard/Abbott/Turnbull levels, they'll knife him in an instant and this bullshit merry-go-round will continue.

16. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

He's got the Beasley

The only cure is a large stint in the US

17. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

Beasley seemed like a reasonable sort of person

Bill is a slimey merkin

18. I Bleed Maroon

I Bleed Maroon Coach

Turnbull must be giving Cosgrove blowies to avoid a dissolution. They need as much time as possible to save whatever furniture they can before the Titanic sinks

to_ddeath likes this.
  19. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

The government would still easily pass a no confidence motion. They are still able to govern.

They look like incompetent morons sure but while turnbull has confidence of the house why should the governor general step in and pervert the democratic will of the Australian people.

I believe labor would give turnbull confidence too if it came to it during this crises.

20. bazza

bazza Coach

Large parts of the electorate would vote liberal even if Tony Abbott was standing

A well known independent would be a slight chance