What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 Lessons from the Storm game

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Yes we were beaten but we learned some important lessons from the game.

1. We need a goal kicker whilst GW is out. At 28-34 I think there would have been more panic in the Storm defense. Not blaming Duges he did his best, but.
2. Our edge defense will be exposed more and more by the teams who are well coached. Aitken had a shocker today (not for the first time this year) and was hooked in the 67 minute his lateral defense is non-existent and was burnt many times today. Milne came on and that avenue dried up. This is our Achilles heal and will be our undoing for a finals berth.
3. Packer is a must re-signing.
4. Dugan is a must re-signing.
5. Mann is a must re-signing and I thought he had a real good game at 5/8
6. McDonald getting better each week, he saved us again many times today.
7. 100 tries for Nighty and I think it's thank you time at the end of the season.
8. Vaughan needs to be just a little wider in attack just enough to get his head through the line more. Opposition have worked out his style and are attacking him that's why his run metres are down over the last couple of games.
9. Friz is trying too hard. He was just a battering ram today, albeit a good one, but his body won't hold up for the season.
10. Did I mention we need a goal kicker?

One more point, it was good to see Sims game today, had an impact when he came on and scored a real nice try.

BankstownDragon

Juniors

1. We need a goal kicker whilst GW is out. At 28-34 I think there would have been more panic in the Storm defense. Not blaming Duges he did his best, but.
2. Our edge defense will be exposed more and more by the teams who are well coached. Aitken had a shocker today (not for the first time this year) and was hooked in the 67 minute his lateral defense is non-existent and was burnt many times today. Milne came on and that avenue dried up. This is our Achilles heal and will be our undoing for a finals berth.
7. 100 tries for Nighty and I think it's thank you time at the end of the season.
8. Vaughan needs to be just a little wider in attack just enough to get his head through the line more. Opposition have worked out his style and are attacking him that's why his run metres are down over the last couple of games.
9. Friz is trying too hard. He was just a battering ram today, albeit a good one, but his body won't hold up for the season.

One more point, it was good to see Sims game today, had an impact when he came on and scored a real nice try.

Great post.

Can I also add our Defensive structure is shocking.

Running up 5 meters and planting your feet is an absysmal system that we only use.

Cheers.

possm

Coach
Not only did Mary only have one plan which was the only reason we lost. Mary also failed to use our bench fully again.
1. Our defensive structure should have been adjusted after the first try.
2. Aitken should have been hooked and replaced by Milne after the second try.
3. Dugan should have been told to adjust in defence early rather than later.
4. McInnes should have been told to send more ball Mann's way.
5. Hard running and off-loads - our trade mark this season should have been there in the first half just like the second half.
6. Our forwards should have been instructed to SMASH the Storm's halves, Smith and Slater.

Can anyone tell me:
Why Mary could not see Mann as a half or five-eighth?
Why Mary could not see the deficiencies in Aitken's defence?
Why Milne is not a better solution at right centre?
Why Mary insists on reverting to the 'up and in defensive pattern'?
Why not let Dugan go and recruit a goal kicking fullback at a lower price - keep Mann, Milne, Lafai, Packer?

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Same thoughts here. Not having a go at Dugan either. But it shows the importance of having a goal kicker in the team.

I agree 100% that Melbourne were prone to panic if the scores were a bit closer in the final stages.

j0nesy

Bench
I agree with most of the points on here. I do think Packer is a bit il-disciplined at times. He costs us a bit with cheap penalties. Needs to tidy up that bit of his game. Still a must re-sign.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Is 6.Mann 7.Widdop 17.Mcrone worth a try when Gaz is back? Maybe we will find out over the coming weeks but he looked the goods today once he got into the game and some confidence.
D*ckhead Gus seemed to rate him.

BennyV

Referee
OUr whole defensive structure is balls. Left and right were exposed today. Admittedly, Aitken seems to be the least able to adapt when need be, but it's an issue with the pattern too.

Great to see Simms score a great try on the edge with an awesome line. No reason Friz cant do that, but agree that he was trying to do too much. Also seems like he gets brought back on the inside a lot.

Mann looked good. For his first game in the 6 in a long, long time and up against a tough Melbourne side, he looked dangerous.

Life's Good

Coach
The 2 things for me were edge defence(specifically Aitken rushing out) & goal kicking.
I think Aitken rushing out is a bad habit that needs eradicating. Coaches now work their attack plan. He needs to watch some video of the better defencive centres to open his eyes to what he should be doing. If he can't get it right then off to ISC for a while with Milne to come in.

There has to be a better goal kicking option. Given we will likely drop a peg in attack without Widdop all points will be crucial as we will not be able to blow teams away.

Hopefully these things can be put right but I think the break for rep round has come at a good time for the boys to freshen up & work on fixing what is needed.

Ted bartolo

Juniors
I have all ways thought Macgegor was great footballer.And think he could be good coach.I he has to go browns route go to England. and prove himself.l think Demitrou would be our best option and it would be a gamble ps. Life's good he has had all year to work on these defensive lapses.​

Last edited:

Falco

Juniors
I agree with most of the points on here. I do think Packer is a bit il-disciplined at times. He costs us a bit with cheap penalties. Needs to tidy up that bit of his game. Still a must re-sign.
I reckon it was that Chorizo loving referee who gave storm those cheap penalties

GC Dragon

Juniors

Great post and some excellent points . People on here have been talking about our right hand edge defence all year and today we came up against the best brains trust in the game and it was exposed as was our lack of speed on the left flank .

It will be interesting how long it takes the penny to drop with Mary . Will he make excuses ? Or will he be pro active and start to fix the problem ? . It will show if he has developed from last year or not . The best left side was when Lafai and Mann played together and that could be a long term left side if both get re-signed .

The right side has been a mess all season and it is more good luck than good management that more points haven't been scored against us down that side .

Mary needs to make a call on Aitken's future as a fulltime Centre....because he isn't one . His best position at the moment is 17 as a hard running impact player that can be used at the 25 or 30 min mark of a game . McDonald is a good winger that will get better and better with time and playing outside of a genuine right centre .

So who is our best right centre . Milne gets exposed in defence as well but is a far more creative player in attack and has the ability to set up his winger very well . But are we going to keep Milne ?.

My opinion is Pat Herbert is the best right centre in the club going forward and we have him locked up . He is what I would call a complete centre in both attack and defence . He has played 9 games for the Cutters and has been there best back week in week out even though he has been stuffed around and played all over the place . He is 20 years old is around 97kgs now and plays plenty tuff against men .

So for me Herbert and McDonald could be a long term right side for years to come . He is also a player that I think will improve coming up to first grade and getting away fro the mess that is our Cutters this year . So for me a left side of Lafai and Mann ( when Widdop returns ) and I am will to take a bit of short term pain on the right side with Herbert and McDonald for a lot of long term gain in the future .

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Defence between centres and wings is atrocious and wings come in too much leaving gaping holes on the wings of mostly Mac Donald and sometimes Nightingale. The backrowers should not be tackling for the wingers. Dugan is not a goalkicker.

Ted bartolo

Juniors
The 2 things for me were edge defence(specifically Aitken rushing out) & goal kicking.
I think Aitken rushing out is a bad habit that needs eradicating. Coaches now work their attack plan. He needs to watch some video of the better defencive centres to open his eyes to what he should be doing. If he can't get it right then off to ISC for a while with Milne to come in.

There has to be a better goal kicking option. Given we will likely drop a peg in attack without Widdop all points will be crucial as we will not be able to blow teams away.

Hopefully these things can be put right but I think the break for rep round has come at a good time for the boys to freshen up & work on fixing what is needed.