What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 Lessons from the Storm game

Lovemedragons

Juniors
IMO the biggest lesson learn t is , we just wont beat Melbourne with structured plays & moves.Offloads second phase play & a bit of add lib footy is our only chance.They are one team that seem to learn from any defensive lapses rather quickly. We seem to be quite the opposite
Agree 100% and we offload well too, more of it and there is a chance against Melbourne.

possm

Coach
A coaching mistake that was not rectified until the second half is what costed the Dragons a win against the Storm. The loss of Widdop was indeed a blow however, Mann seemed to be a good replacement.

The poor ref decisions and the rub of the green also contributed to our loss however, in my opinion it was the compressed defensive plan which left our flanks exposed were the main reason for the loss as 3 tries against us resulted from this decision. If only Mary sent out word after the first try to revert back to the mark your man and slide when required plan that was employed against the Roosters, I think we would have won that game.

rasaint

Juniors
I agree Emu. This year we seem a bit more ad lib and looking to offload.

Parramatta made their big run in 2009 due to crazy ad lib play. They were rolling it back Union style, throwing overhead, handing off etc. Anderson was the coach and it started mid season and almost got them a comp. Yes Fui Fui was great and Hayne hit form but that annoying ad lib off load approach broke other teams.

blacksafake

First Grade
IMO the biggest lesson learn t is , we just wont beat Melbourne with structured plays & moves.Offloads second phase play & a bit of add lib footy is our only chance.They are one team that seem to learn from any defensive lapses rather quickly. We seem to be quite the opposite
Yep agree.
It hurts to say this but they are just too good for us, although we are getting closer.

SBD82

Coach
I agree Emu. This year we seem a bit more ad lib and looking to offload.

Parramatta made their big run in 2009 due to crazy ad lib play. They were rolling it back Union style, throwing overhead, handing off etc. Anderson was the coach and it started mid season and almost got them a comp. Yes Fui Fui was great and Hayne hit form but that annoying ad lib off load approach broke other teams.
While all of this is true, history still shows that it didn't break Melbourne when it mattered.

Gandhi

Juniors
I hope your wrong because we've spent a large portion of our cap on Widdop. You know if we slotted Mann into 6 and Widdop at 7 from round 1, maybe we would have had a better idea about Mann and still found success of the back of our forwards.
I am very nervous about it possum.....widdop has done well during his past 8 matches, but that was following on from years of being very average. Time will tell, once he is back we can get a better assessment by round 20. If he falls back into his old ways, yes, we have a problem ......a crisis. Time will tell.

Gandhi

Juniors
There's something familiar about you. Like a pre-meltdown Valisevsky...
Nope....just telling you my view point, which is time will tell. I admit i am nervous about players who suddenly show form after years of giving not much. Their contract is up and they miracuously display some decent footy. Very mysterious, dont you think. Quite amazing.

ALSGI

Bench
Nope....just telling you my view point, which is time will tell. I admit i am nervous about players who suddenly show form after years of giving not much. Their contract is up and they miracuously display some decent footy. Very mysterious, dont you think. Quite amazing.
Agree with you VasGlenn, very mysterious indeed.

Carlton

Juniors

Careful Ghandi you can't have these opinions or you will be attacked and the old routine of you must be Vas in disguise will be rolled out. And by the way I agree, I don't have faith in a player who has not performed for two years and then starts showing some energy.

I think he has played well so far this season but I am not as convinced as some that he is the messiah. I think he still has problems with game management and setting up his outside players.