What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'10 | R1 | Sat | Panthers 34-16 Raiders | CUA

Result: Panthers v Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skeepe

Immortal
Raiders were robbed yet Penrith won by 13 points?

You don't remember the game?

First two Panthers tries were given despite the fact they clearly were not tries, and the Raiders were denied a try despite clearly having scored.

Net result was an 18 point turnaround thanks solely to Russell Smith. Given that the Panthers won by less than Smith's influence, yes.

The reason those two are in the starting line up is because they are very soud defensively, they won't score many points though...

If this is the same Adrian Purtell that I am thinking of then I am shocked.

Adrian Purtell was always leaving his wing wide open for the opposition to score. Every team just attacked his side non stop and go its rewards with many tries.

abpanther

Staff member

Adrian Purtell was always leaving his wing wide open for the opposition to score. Every team just attacked his side non stop and go its rewards with many tries.

Well he is playing in the centres this time so that may help

skeepe

Immortal

I like Purtell, you couldn't find a better clubman, but this comment is spot on.

Every time you can remember seeing a team spread the ball and score a try against the Raiders with absolutely nobody on the wing, you can be damn sure it was Purtell's side.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
t
You don't remember the game?

First two Panthers tries were given despite the fact they clearly were not tries, and the Raiders were denied a try despite clearly having scored.

Net result was an 18 point turnaround thanks solely to Russell Smith. Given that the Panthers won by less than Smith's influence, yes.

Skeepe i love you and all but Dugan did knock the ball on. The worst part was the ref had already called play on. So if Vidot had tripped over a blade of grass and been tackled and we had scored from the next set it would have been a try.

That said the first two tries given were pretty bad. Dugan had time to cook a hot meal and eat it he held the Panthers player up for so long.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Well I watched Elford all of last season and watched them both in the trial games and they looked very solid. I suspect you are just making assumptions out of thin air...

I think Raiders supporters know Adrian Purtell pretty well. He is solid but he is very slow and suspect defensively.

murraymob

Coach
you will find purtells defence a lot sharper this year he has done a fair bit of work on it i the off season

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Defence can be improved but one of the issues with his defence has always been his lack of speed. I can't think of how many tries would be scored simply through kicking in behind the Raiders line.

You can't coach speed.

Raider_69

Post Whore
The reason those two are in the starting line up is because they are very soud defensively, they won't score many points though...

As a raiders fan, tbh i dont care which centre, Croker or JT, i love the match up with Purtell

Croker can beat him with pure footwork, speed and talent. Whilst JT will be to strong for Purts close to the line who has a habit of crouching toward either his winger or inside defender and not holding his place properly

he's a liability when he's made to make decisions, we can target that side for sure. And Croker on Jennings i dont mind, he's not going to make long breaks cause Jennings will catch him but close to the line, i think Croker can get him on technique and be a threat.

Im worried about Croker on Jennings in defense though.

mxlegend99

Referee
Im worried about Croker on Jennings in defense though.
It doesn't really matter who you have marking Jennings, he usually finds a way through. Whether it's through footwork or pace alone.

I'm just hoping that it pays off for Michael Gordon. He should be getting a lot more involved this season now that he is going to have a quality centre inside him who will actually pass him the ball.

Our right hand side is just all kinds of awesome. But our left hand side is pretty average. Purtell and Elford are solid and reliable for the most part. But they aren't exactly match winners... the only match winner that will be playing on the left side is Frank Pritchard. So the Raiders just need to do 10 minutes of awesome defence at some point and they shouldn't cop too much damage on that side.

I'm pretty sure this is the viewers choice game and that the Sharks/Storm game will be the one that comes on automatically.

Well that sucks. I think the Penny vs Raiders game will be far more entertaining compared to watching the Sharks get slayed by the Storm.
Also this game is with basically 2 NSW teams. Wouldnt it get a better viewing audience then the other game?

mxlegend99

Referee
Preview from NRL.com

Panthers v Raiders
CUA Stadium
Saturday, 7:30pm

Whoever was in charge of the 2010 schedule should be getting a nice basket of Easter eggs any time now. It’ll be addressed from Penrith boss Mick Leary, whose team hosts their season-opener for the first time since 2004.

Coincidentally, that was the last year the penny Panthers cracked the finals – the current longest absence of any NRL club – and it’s just the kind of omen they need to have any hope in 2010.

But first up are the out-of-town Raiders, who couldn’t be more under-rated if they had won three wooden spoons in a row. Penrith sure is home to the biggest rugby league nursery on earth, but something’s in the air of the nation’s capital at the moment because the hottest young talent is on show in Canberra, where five of the seven games the Raiders won were played last year.

Only problem is that’s not where this week’s game is. The party is out at CUA stadium, where the Panthers held a 7-4 (and one draw) record in 2009. And it doesn’t really matter where Canberra play, because they perform on the road like a second-rate circus troupe – last year they lost all but two matches away from home.

Still, let’s hope both sides can at least recognise their own jerseys, because there’s quite a bit of history amongst the squads. New Panthers, centre Adrian Purtell and hitman Nigel Plum (on an extended bench… and he really does look like a hitman!) switched camps over the summer, joining former Raider Nathan Smith and coach Matt Elliott at the foot of the mountains, while one of Canberra’s few acquisitions included journeyman Danny Galea, who spent five years with his junior club Penrith before heading to the Tigers and has now pledged his allegiance to David Furner.

Nevertheless, if there’s a good time to play a young and enthusiastic outfit such as Canberra, now’s as good as ever with rising star Justin Carney and NSW reps Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and Joel Monaghan all out with injury, severely hampering their chances.

Penrith have problems of their own, with gun five-eighth Wade Graham and destructive forward Daine Laurie out with shoulder and toe problems respectively.

Watch out Panthers: The obvious weapons in the Canberra line-up are one-time NSW five-eighth Terry Campese and the elusive Josh Dugan. The entire Green Machine revolves around their peach of a playmaker and while 2009 wasn’t his best year, fans will always remember how he single-handedly pulled his team to the finals two years ago.

Dugan, on the other hand, is an absolute star in the making (if he isn’t already) and is one of the most dangerous kick-returners in the game. He averaged more metres (192) than the rugby league’s man of the moment Jarryd Hayne (172) in 2009 and much more will be expected of his second year.

The interesting stat is that the Raiders had more half-breaks than any other team in the competition (48) last year, and if any of their support runners can get on the end of these, Penrith could be in a lot of trouble.

Watch out Raiders: Two words: Michael Jennings. This out-and-out superstar has established himself as one of the most electrifying talents in the game today. Blessed with the breathtaking ability to make Speedy Gonzalez look like Porky Pig in defence, ‘Jenko’ will be Penrith’s go-to man all year.

When the Panthers needed a spark last year, Jennings delivered and was the only Panther to hit double digits in line-breaks (22) and tries (17). His left-side combination with enigmatic second-rower Frank Pritchard proved to be the most formidable last year, Penrith scoring 30 tries on that part of the field – more than any other team in the NRL.

Fill-in centre Joel Thompson could well be in for the worst night of his life if Penrith can isolate the oft-used forward.

Where it will be won:
With heavy rain and storms predicted for the opening night of the year, ball handling is the priority in this clash. And this is where the Raiders hold the advantage. In 2009, only the Broncos and the Dragons made fewer errors (279), while the Panthers were one of the worst (302) in the comp. This could make the match closer than it should be, but with experienced forwards in Petero Civoniceva, Trent Waterhouse, Pritchard and Luke Lewis, Penrith have enough experience to guide them home.

The history: Played 55; Penrith 27, Canberra 27, drawn 1. Before last year, the Raiders had beaten Penrith five of the past six games, but the Panthers took out both matches in 2009 to square the overall ledger.

Penrith supporters may still be hurting from the club’s record 74-12 loss at Canberra Stadium two years ago.

Conclusion: The Raiders were always going to be up against it having to play away from home, but the fact that three of their strike players are out makes their task a lot more difficult.

Penrith are a side at almost full strength and in form, having comprehensively won both of their trials in the pre-season. Unfortunately for Canberra, the odds are stacked against them and only the forecast of heavy rain saves them from an opening night demolition.

Penrith by 10.

Match officials: Referees – Steve Lyons & Alan Shortall; Sideline officials – Daniel Eastwood and Luke Phillips; Video Referee – Russel Smith

Televised: Fox Sports 2 – live from 7:30pm.

mxlegend99

Referee
Preview from Sportal:

Preview: Panthers v Raiders
Scott Brooks
Thursday, 11 March 2010

VENUE & TIME:
CUA Stadium, Saturday March 13 , 7.35pm (AEDT).
COVERAGE: Fox Sports
LAST TIME: Panthers 27 - Raiders 14 at CUA Stadium, Round 19, 2009

WALKING WOUNDED:
The Panthers go into Round 1 minus teenage five-eighth Wade Graham (shoulder - Rnd 4), forwards Gavin Cooper (foot - Rnd 2) and Daine Laurie (toe - Rnd 3), while Sharks recruit David Simmons is out with a shoulder injury. Back-rower Nathan Smith has been named on an extended bench, but remains in doubt with a groin injury.
The Raiders suffered a huge blow in the trials with former Test star Joel Monaghan suffering a thumb injury that will sideline him until at least Round 6. Monaghan joins winger Justin Carney (ankle) and forwards Tom Learoyd Lahrs (knee) and Joe Picker (ankle) in the casualty ward.

FORM:
The Panthers appear well-placed to make a genuine play at the finals for the first time since 2004 with a good blend of youth and experience forming a strong combination at the foot of the mountains. Solid wins over the Knights and Eels in the trials gives fans of the club plenty of room for optimism in a year it must simply perform.
After sneaking into the finals in 2008, the Raiders went backwards in 2009, finishing a disappointing 13th. They have virtually retained the same squad as last year and will be banking on the progress of a few boom youngsters who made their mark last season. The Green Machine lost both of their trials against the Bulldogs and Brisbane, but did produce some good signs in those matches.

WHO'S HOT:
Michael Jennings is undoubtedly the shining light in the Panthers backline. A brilliant NRL 2009 season saw Jennings rewarded with an Aussie Test berth in the Four Nations and he continued his sparkling form in the trials, bagging a hat-trick against the Knights.
There is little doubt that Terry Campese remains the key for the Raiders this season. He was brilliant in 2008 when he helped steer the club to a shock finals appearance which culminated in selection in the Australian World Cup squad. He suffered from a lack of consistency last season and this had a major effect on the team. A good performance in the club's trial against the Broncos may be an early pointer to what's to what's install for the super-talented pivot.

WE THINK:
The Raiders managed just two away wins last season, continuing an atrocious on-the-road record for the club. Until the Green Machine can arrest this issue they will continue to remain friendless when playing outside of Canberra. Added to this is the loss of four quality players for a match that pits them up against a strong-looking Penrith outfit hungry to start the season on a high at home. The Panthers downed the Raiders twice last season. Panthers by 10.
Also available on the Panthers Website

Preview from the Raiders website:

Raiders face prowling Panthers

11/03/2010 3:14:16 PM

CANBERRA RAIDERS v PENRITH PANTHERS
CUA Stadium, Saturday March 13 at 7.30pm
Referees: Steve Lyons and Alan Shortall

WHAT’S AT STAKE
The Raiders will be looking to get off to a strong start in season 2010 and the first hurdle is on Saturday night against a Penrith side who has shown fantastic trial for in the lead up to the New Year. The Green Machine will be without representative players Joel Monaghan and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and will need to step a gear if they want the two points.

STATS BOX
HEAD TO HEAD
Played 55, Raiders 27, Penrith 27, drawn 1
At CUA Stadium. Played 24, Raiders 9, Penrith 14, Drawn 1
LAST 5 CLASHES
2009 – PANTHERS 27 d. RAIDERS 14 at CUA Stadium
PANTHERS 18 d. RAIDERS 10 at Canberra Stadium
2008 – RAIDERS 74 d. PANTHERS 12 at Canberra Stadium
– RAIDERS 20 d. PANTHERS 16 at CUA Stadium
BIGGEST HEAD TO HEAD WINS
RAIDERS 74 d. PANTHERS 12 at Canberra Stadium, 2008
PANTHERS 42 d. RAIDERS 8 at CUA Stadium 1982

MATCH-UPS
Reece Robinson – Michael Gordon
In his first game with the club at NRL level Robinson has the chance to seal himself a spot in first grade with the injury to Joel Monaghan and he’ll be looking for a strong showing against the Panthers. Expect the Panthers to target Robinson’s wing early in the match to see if the Raiders new recruit is ready. The Raiders will be hoping they do.

Jarrod Croker – Michael Jennings
Croker has the mission first up this season of containing one of the fleetest footed players in the league in Michael Jennings. The Panthers flyer has switched to the left hand side of the field this year after a stunning performance for the NRL All-Stars so Croker will need to defend well. In attack Croker is a dangerous option out wide for the Raiders and they will look to use him early in the tackle count.

Bronson Harrison – Trent Waterhouse
Two players here who play big minutes and play big parts for their side. Harrison led the league in offloads in 2009 and will be out to replicate this form in 2010, while Waterhouse showed signs last season that he’s back to his best.

HE SAID IT – with Jarrod Croker
“If we number up in defence and stay focused, there’s no reason we can’t win this game on Saturday. We know the Panthers have been in good form but we’re keen to get out there.”

WORTH NOTING
* Tom Learoyd-Lahrs will miss the opening round with a knee injury.
* Shaun Fensom and James Stuart have been named on an extended bench
* Josh Miller starts in his new fulltime role as starting lock.
* The Raiders Toyota Cup kicks off against the Panthers at 5.15pm

Cletus

First Grade
Went for Canberra because I think Panthers have the worst halves in the comp. Even with Graham I don't like them.

The 18th Man

Juniors
My tip is: Penrith Panthers

It’s a make or break season for Matt Elliot and the Penrith Panthers. A lot of time and effort has been invested in the club’s youth coming through, it’s time this young side steps up and make it back to the NRL Finals for the first since 2004, that’s right, the year they won the Grand Final. If Penrith falter or start slow, I can see Matt Elliot being shown the door.

Pushing all negatives aside, I see Penrith winning this arm wrestle with the dogged Canberra Raiders outfit. There isn’t much in it, but the X-factor of a Michael Jennings and a home game sees me leaning toward Penrith. Let’s not forget the Panthers forward pack too, highlighted by the Great Petero Civoniceva and supported by rep stars in Luke Lewis, Trent Waterhouse and Frank Pritchard.

For Canberra, I look forward to seeing Josh Dugan again. This kid is full of potential and always a threat when returning the ball from kicks. The new down town rule will definitely work out well for him and Penrith will have to be very good in defence when he has the ball in hand.

The Raider forwards will look after themselves in typical no-frills fashion, it will be Dugan with enigma Terry Campese that need to fire if they’re to win here.

Latest posts