What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'10 | R1 | Sun | Rabbitohs 10-36 Roosters | ANZ

Result: Rabbitohs v Roosters

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Truthy746

Juniors
"Souths are going to win the 2010 NRL Premiership. Have you seen their forward pack? Sam Burgess, Roy Asotasi, Mick Crocker, Dave Taylor, Ben Ross. How can they lose?"

That has been the general feeling coming from the Souths camp in the buildup to the start of the 2010 season. Sadly for the suffering Rabbitohs fans, 2010 won't be your year. They say forwards win matches? Well so do having adequate halves, which Sandow and Sutton simply are not at this stage in their careers. Having strikepower on the edges is also a key ingredient to winning a grand final, which Souths do not have much of at all. Their defence is also lacking, as shown in the Charity Shield when Morris was able to leave defenders lying on the ground when he should've been contained quite comfortably. The Roosters meanwhile have their strength in the numbers 1-7, with the exception of Jason Ryles and Nate Myles not their being too much in the forwards. So essentially, this match is simply a battle between the brute force of South, and the strikepower of the Roosters, a battle which the Roosters should be able to win in a close contest.

I'm hoping our forwards announce themselves for this one - names Nuuausala and Paea. Whilst Symonds was one of the best in the trials.

slammingsam

Juniors
Whilst we have a very very talent bunch of forwards - the key will be able to bring them together and having them play as a pack rather then as indiviudals..I think we should do fairly well in that regard.

Sutton and the rest of the backs can look after themselves.
Its Sandow who is the worry - if he fires then we win as a whole.

I expect Souths to win - not by 40 or so like last year.
Im guessing it will by 6 or so points.
The Roosters will put a good fight though - i think Souths will prove too much up the middle.

Bodsy

Juniors
"Souths are going to win the 2010 NRL Premiership. Have you seen their forward pack? Sam Burgess, Roy Asotasi, Mick Crocker, Dave Taylor, Ben Ross. How can they lose?"

That has been the general feeling coming from the Souths camp in the buildup to the start of the 2010 season. Sadly for the suffering Rabbitohs fans, 2010 won't be your year. They say forwards win matches? Well so do having adequate halves, which Sandow and Sutton simply are not at this stage in their careers. Having strikepower on the edges is also a key ingredient to winning a grand final, which Souths do not have much of at all. Their defence is also lacking, as shown in the Charity Shield when Morris was able to leave defenders lying on the ground when he should've been contained quite comfortably. The Roosters meanwhile have their strength in the numbers 1-7, with the exception of Jason Ryles and Nate Myles not their being too much in the forwards. So essentially, this match is simply a battle between the brute force of South, and the strikepower of the Roosters, a battle which the Roosters should be able to win in a close contest.

God this is annoying, How can you say we have Halves that aren't capable of leading around our forward pack? Sutton was the the NRLS Top Try assister, He carved through defenses early on, he was a bit inconsistent in some matches I admit. Bit his overall game was solid and he proved a handful for defenders. Sandow with another year under his belt and a big forward pack should really play well and he has shown glimpses, if he fires; then souths do.

To say we have poor backs is a joke also, Souths scored the most tries in the NRL last season, Nathan, Merritt, Fetuli Talanoa, Colin Best, Beau Champion and Rhys Wesser are all solid players. Merritt is a strike player, so your point against us goes out the window.

How does a team with 'no strike power' score the most tries in the NRL? hmm?

As for my prediction, I think the Roosters will give us a good run, but I think we'll eventually get the better of them later on in the match.

Souths by 8.

Last edited:

SSFC Hitman

Juniors
This time next week Rooster fans will be whinging about Brian Smith and how he should be sacked after losing to Souths by 10 points.

aussies1st

Staff member
Tricky one, both have looked good in the trials. Really could go either way but I'll lean towards Souths due to their forward pack.

I think its funny people saying Souths have poor outside backs (they don't) and ignoring the stat that they and the Wests Tigers scored equal most tries in 2009. Souths have mostly concerns defensively, attack wise they have the talent to reguarly score 4 or 5 tries a game, with a strong pack and halves that play well off a fast roll on plus Merritt who scores tries for fun- just need to improve ball control a bit. Souths to win by 10 pts v Roosters who looked good in trials but won't find it easy to get back into regular winning mode after coming last in '09.

Bodsy

Juniors
I think its funny people saying Souths have poor outside backs (they don't) and ignoring the stat that they and the Wests Tigers scored equal most tries in 2009. Souths have mostly concerns defensively, attack wise they have the talent to reguarly score 4 or 5 tries a game, with a strong pack and halves that play well off a fast roll on plus Merritt who scores tries for fun- just need to improve ball control a bit. Souths to win by 10 pts v Roosters who looked good in trials but won't find it easy to get back into regular winning mode after coming last in '09.

Thank You! Some-one with a bit of sense here.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Im not saying he will be the point leakage , with pearce in the side the roosters will struggle to score points

pearce at halfback souths by 30+

roosters get a new halfback close game
Ok wise one.. tell us your score prediction, lotto numbers too please.

When you say "souths by 30".. it can only be one thing, huge defensive lapses. In this case, you're inferring that this would be attributable to Pearce.

0-30
4-34
10-40
12-42

You see? Being beaten by 30 is deducible to just that.