What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'10 | R5 | Sat | Bulldogs 24-30 Warriors | ANZ

Result: Bulldogs v Warriors

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Just a reminder again that all NRL club members (all 16 clubs) are entitled free entry to this match.

One Warrior

Bench
Ropati out for warriors.

Henderson returns for clash against Bulldogs

Hooker Ian Henderson has been brought into the Vodafone Warriors’ squad for their fifth-round NRL clash against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium tomorrow night (Saturday).

Henderson was added to the line-up after centre Jerome Ropati was ruled out of the game after the team’s final training session at Mount Smart Stadium last night. It was decided that Ropati, who had a tight hamstring, should not be risked this week.
That led to a recall for Henderson who was sidelined for several weeks with a knee injury after the Vodafone Warriors’ first trial against the Sydney Roosters in Rotorua in February. He returned to the playing field last weekend, turning out for the Auckland Vulcans in their New South Wales Cup win over Balmain Ryde.
Coach Ivan Cleary hasn’t confirmed his final line-up. He said utility Patrick Ah Van would also join the squad in Sydney. Ah Van has been used at standoff by the Vulcans this season.

Henderson returns for clash against Bulldogs by on 09/04/2010 // http://www.warriors.co.nz/news/551/Henderson-returns-for-clash-against-Bulldogs

Can't understand for the life of me, why the Dogs are such overwhelming favourites to win this one.

Down half a forward pack, got absolutely bashed last Monday night and have the shortest possible turnaround. The Warriors haven't been playing terrible Footy either. Granted, they are usually fairly ordinary away from home, but the Bulldogs were absolutely woeful at home last weekend so that should cancel that out.

I don't expect the Dogs to be as bad, but if you look at the odds with the Tab, you would expect the Dogs to sh*t this in. I think it will be a very close game and I reckon the Warriors could sneak this in by 4 or 6.

Timmah

Staff member
I'm not at all comfortable with our favouritism either. I think it may be based on the fact it's still early days and we're finding our feet and the "good teams bounce back" concept. If we were looking at this match being in Round 10 or 15 with Canterbury in this sort of form, we wouldn't be favourites.

That said, I'm confident we can get a win, but prepared for the reality that we very well may not.

Rovelli

Bench
The fact is, the Warriors are down five players - Pricey, Mannering, Seymour, Vatuvei, and Luck - who would all be in the Warriors strongest possible lineup.

If we have even a couple of those guys in the lineup, I fancy our chances...I still do, but you've got to favour the Dogs at home. Good teams don't play badly two weeks in a row.

Timmah

Staff member
A quick glance at our injured list rivals yours actually.

Mickey Paea, Dene Halatau, Michael Hodgson, Corey Payne, possibly Jarrad Hickey.

All forwards who would walk straight into the 17.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Rival in numbers, not in quality. Warriors are missing more quality and away from home I can see that being too much to overcome.

Timmah

Staff member
Yeah but your quality is "all over the park". We're simply missing a whole lot of front row and second row forwards. Forwards are a massive keystone for any team this year and with our stocks down we're ripe for the picking.

I can't believe we're having a competition to talk down our team most :lol:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Giving ourselves an excuse to lose is the best way to deal with it "encase" it happens.

1. Seymour - first choice halfback
2. Price - Top metre eating QLD/Aussie rep
3. Vatuvei - Most destructive winger in the game and the Warriors most potent weapon
4. Ropati - NZ international
5. Luck - Top tackler and 80 minute player
6. Mannering - captain, NZ international and another 80 minute player

Will agree that with Packer/Rapira the Warriors still look good up front, especially if Hickey is rulled out and Henderson can show any sort of form at hooker. If they can dominate up front the Warriors will go a fair way to nullifying the absence of their outside backs.

If the Dogs get an even share of posession and field position their backs should be able to do the job.

Timmah

Staff member
One thing I am looking forward to is seeing how Timmy Browne goes up front. I've heard good things from people at Manly so I hope he surprises us with some go-forward.

I tipped the Dogs but not confident...they had nothing in attack last week and if Kimmorley has another poor game then surely the focus needs to shift to whether they look a changing of the guard.