What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'10 | WIL R16 | Sun | Warriors 20-18 Roosters | AMI Stadium, Christchurch

Result: Roosters v Warriors

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iafeta

Referee
never have and probably never will need control of the ball in this instance
the ball was on the ground, all he hand to do was get downward force on it, it wasnt in the air so the control or separation debate doesn't even come into play

That's how I read it. Seriously, if you take Jason "I'm more wrong than Andrew Johns in the whole Tahu debacle" Costigan out of the call and put it on mute, and understand the rule of not needing control, it's a fairly easy ruling to give as BOTD.

Noname36

First Grade
You could tell that Gus was still devastated about it during the Titans v. Knights match coverage. He was all chipper until the half time break, then it was all somber after that. He kept accidently calling the Titans wingers Kevin Locke. Vossy and Fatty had to console him.

Raider_69

Post Whore
That's how I read it. Seriously, if you take Jason "I'm more wrong than Andrew Johns in the whole Tahu debacle" Costigan out of the call and put it on mute, and understand the rule of not needing control, it's a fairly easy ruling to give as BOTD.

those guys actually make me want to stop watching RL
they are bloody terrible
easily the worst commentary team every assembled. They are biased and i can deal with that given their kiwi's but their basic lack of understanding of the rules of our game is mind blowingly embarrassing.
And they drone on about the most useless sh*t too... and the worst bit is when they replay and harp on about some nothing incident involving a warriors player for 20 seconds and you miss something actually relevant to the game

arg... they just sh*t me, i can barely watch games they commentate on.

Iafeta

Referee
LOL - you are not alone Raider. Those commentators are horrid. Basically, the rule should be anytime one of them talks about a ruling, the opposite ruling is probably correct.

PS: Just want to point out that Costo is Aussie ;-) And he seems to listen to that song "I've been everywhere man", because before most if not all games and if not through most if not all games, he will name some town with barely a pub in outback Australia in the call for the hell of it. ARGHHHH!!!! He frustrates me!

Raider_69

Post Whore
LOL - you are not alone Raider. Those commentators are horrid. Basically, the rule should be anytime one of them talks about a ruling, the opposite ruling is probably correct.

PS: Just want to point out that Costo is Aussie ;-) And he seems to listen to that song "I've been everywhere man", because before most if not all games and if not through most if not all games, he will name some town with barely a pub in outback Australia in the call for the hell of it. ARGHHHH!!!! He frustrates me!

Good god. Costo is an aussie?
For the first time in my life im ashamed to be australian.
Cant we do some sort of trade? We'll give you guys back Russell Crowe with Costo and we'll claim the Finn brothers?
Deal?

Great try at the end , talk about putting the body on the line.

I also think it was a correct call for the BOTD try , all you have to do is get a pinly to it. Control is not needed.

What i thought cost the Roosters the game was where Carney kicked through then Pearce tried to flick it back. If he had dived on the ball he would of slid into the in goal. I dare say he would of slid all the way over the dead ball line.

One Warrior

Bench
those guys actually make me want to stop watching RL
they are bloody terrible
easily the worst commentary team every assembled. They are biased and i can deal with that given their kiwi's but their basic lack of understanding of the rules of our game is mind blowingly embarrassing.
And they drone on about the most useless sh*t too... and the worst bit is when they replay and harp on about some nothing incident involving a warriors player for 20 seconds and you miss something actually relevant to the game

arg... they just sh*t me, i can barely watch games they commentate on.

Lol agree Costigan is the worst commentator out there, can't stand listening to him and his stupid cliches, however to say he is biased towards the Warriors, LOL, he's always giving it to us and just loves putting the boot in when we are down.

The Roosters are so inconsistent it is not funny...they thump a young Storm team and then play a lazy game against the Warriors.

You have to question the likes of Anasta, Carney, Minichello who should lead from the front and get them over the line.

I just don't think that they do this enough in close games.

MKEB...

Staff member
Great try at the end , talk about putting the body on the line.

I also think it was a correct call for the BOTD try , all you have to do is get a pinly to it. Control is not needed.

What i thought cost the Roosters the game was where Carney kicked through then Pearce tried to flick it back. If he had dived on the ball he would of slid into the in goal. I dare say he would of slid all the way over the dead ball line.

That was strange alright... but I arent complaining

Roosterphin1

Juniors
i thought it was a fair enough decision to give BOTD for the first try

But there wasnt any doubt as it wasnt a try. Besides the fact the ball went dead he didnt even ground the ball. watch it closely and he attempts to bat the ball backwards. There was no downward pressure

CMUX

Control wasn't the issue. The fact the ball was on the dead ball line means that it should have been a no try

Regardless of that though, we were still in a position to win and unfortunately didn't. At the end of the day we are still 7-7, already 2 more wins then last year and don't forget this is year 1 of a new coach, new system, new team etc. so i don't think rooster supporters should be to hard on the team.

Iafeta

Referee
I know control wasn't the issue. That's not the point I'm making. All the other people around me to a man thought the ball was down before the line. Of course I'm biased, so I agree. Those fans are Penrith fans though. One of them made the call no try as there was no control. I was merely checking that was still the rule, that its not based on control.

I watched it again on IQ, IMO the ball is down before the line. My only suggestion is, if the line was as wide as it usually is in the NRL, the chances of it still have been grounded before the line are slim to none.

Last edited:

Latest posts