What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100 Greatest Moments for South Sydney since 2002's return.

2004 - Round 4 vs Cronulla Sutherland at SFS.

Souths were 1-1 (with one bye) and 10th going in to this game agaimst Cronulla at the SFS. Questions over coach Langmack were already getting asked.

A Saturday night game, like a lot of our home games were back then, tbis game is remembered for one thing: a vile, thuggish, unsporting kneeing of Souths winger Shane Marteene by a teenage Greg Bird.

I was there...banging the fence, baying for blood. If Bird hadn't been marched, a riot would have ensued. Afterwards, Bird was fined $15,000 by his club and copped a ten week suspension from the NRL judiciary. Some might say he deserved the chair.

It soured what was a convincing win (one of few in 2004) where we walloped the Sharks 36-12, with the young Mad Pup Luke MacDougall scoring a treble. That said, the Sharks had a poor season in '04 and finished 11th, so looking back, we dusted an easy beat here.

However, in regards to Greg Bird's act of thuggery, you can decide here.

2006 - Round 21 vs Canberra at ANZ.

Going in to Rd 21, Souths were rooted to the bottom of the table (15th) with one solitary win. Meanwhile, Canberra were there or there abouts at 9th, and would eventually be finals bound.

However, they didn't count on the Rabbitohs giving them a fright and a fight.

David Peachey had joined the club 8 weeks earlier, and the previous four rounds had seen the Rabbitohs play some spirited games, only to lose fairly close matches (in context of their miserable 06 season).

I was at this game. Souths exploded out of the blocks. Peachy was at his best and Nathan Merritt benefited, scoring two first half tries to go in to the break with a 20-4 lead.

In the second half, despite chances, all Souths could muster was a field goal to Canberra's second try. But the field goal was enough to give them a 13 point lead and only their second victory for the season.

The highlight though was a moment in the second half, where Jason Smith [has anyone ever heard of this f**ker?!?!] on cleaning up under the posts to exception to something said. Next minute, a fight erupted. Once the players had been parted and the smoke had cleared, the replays began filtering through on the big screen.

First up was Jason Smith with a blood spattered face. More angles showed that Stuart Webb had taken exception and was about to show the chain smoking 34 year old veteran what fists of fury he possessed.

Not only were the meagre crowd treated to a Souths win and a bit of biff, but ref Jason Robinson penalised Jason Smith, all the while he was having his rearranged face tended to.

2006 might have been a fairly ordinary year for Souths supporters, but that biff has always stayed with me (though that said, until I watched my 06 highlights DVD, I could have sworn it was Jaiman Lowe who'd smacked Smithy). I'll try to find highlights footage of the game to upload here but the pic's below.

These days, Stuart Webb is better known as Mr Sally Fletcher aka Kate Ritchie.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 4.35.54 pm.png

2007 - Round 1 vs Roosters at SFS.

It was a build up for the ages.

The opening round of the 2007 season was extended with the return of Monday Night Football.

Russell Crowe had taken over the club and rung in the changes. The squad had been gutted from 2006. In came Roy Asotasi, arguably Souths most important signing in a generation. Seasoned veterans David Kidwell and Dean Widders were added, along with Jeremy Smith from the Eels, joining David Peachey who had been a mid season signing the year before. Paul Mellor was finishing where he began 16 years earlier and Souths youngsters of Merritt and Sutton were ready.

Easts had decided to celebrate 100 Seasons in 2007, stealing some thunder from the planned Centenary celebrations for the code in 2008. They also liked to rub our noses in the fact they were the only foundation club to play every season. And they needed one solitary win to reach the grand milestone of 1000 first grade victories.

It was also the inaugral Ron Coote Cup...so there was plenty to play for.

Back at the SFS, the 24,000 fans were restless. With storm clouds brewing, Souths were relentless in defence (the Rabbits didnt alow the Roosters a single line break) and rushed to a 12-0 lead thanks to Vagana. When the heavens opened, it became a grind and things got messy. In the 2nd half, Merritt spilt a slippery ball on his own line, allowing Josh Lewis to pounce and score.

Souths made the best of the conditions and nice passing saw Vagana score again. The Roosters were without luck and by full time Souths had prevailed 18-6.

The Roosters remained on 999 wins and would do so until Rd 6, where they played Saints in the ANZAC Day match. Souths would consolidate, looking to secure a finals berth. The match up in the final round would be just as much fun.

download (1).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg unnamed (5).jpg

DiegoNT

First Grade
2007 - Round 1 vs Roosters at SFS.

It was a build up for the ages.

The opening round of the 2007 season was extended with the return of Monday Night Football.

Russell Crowe had taken over the club and rung in the changes. The squad had been gutted from 2006. In came Roy Asotasi, arguably Souths most important signing in a generation. Seasoned veterans David Kidwell and Dean Widders were added, along with Jeremy Smith from the Eels, joining David Peachey who had been a mid season signing the year before. Paul Mellor was finishing where he began 16 years earlier and Souths youngsters of Merritt and Sutton were ready.

Easts had decided to celebrate 100 Seasons in 2007, stealing some thunder from the planned Centenary celebrations for the code in 2008. They also liked to rub our noses in the fact they were the only foundation club to play every season. And they needed one solitary win to reach the grand milestone of 1000 first grade victories.

It was also the inaugral Ron Coote Cup...so there was plenty to play for.

Back at the SFS, the 24,000 fans were restless. With storm clouds brewing, Souths were relentless in defence (the Rabbits didnt alow the Roosters a single line break) and rushed to a 12-0 lead thanks to Vagana. When the heavens opened, it became a grind and things got messy. In the 2nd half, Merritt spilt a slippery ball on his own line, allowing Josh Lewis to pounce and score.

Souths made the best of the conditions and nice passing saw Vagana score again. The Roosters were without luck and by full time Souths had prevailed 18-6.

The Roosters remained on 999 wins and would do so until Rd 6, where they played Saints in the ANZAC Day match. Souths would consolidate, looking to secure a finals berth. The match up in the final round would be just as much fun.

View attachment 12768

View attachment 12769 View attachment 12771

The thing i remember most from this game was Chris Anderson's bizarre 1 marker game plan. He had spruiked his 1 marker defensive system all week, how they had trained all off season for it and how it would be a revolution. It took one half of football to expose the major flaws in it. The biggest flaw was that it took a tackler way to much effort to get back 10 after being involved in a tackle and it took the other tackler to much effort to get to marker as their was never a 2nd marker as a failsafe. The roosters took a long time to adjust back from that defensive system and it ended up costing Anderson his job and ended a fairly successful coaching career

Also i believe this was the debut of our black trim jumper, with simple black bunny emblem (changed from the bunny in the oval emblem) that pretty much stayed untouched through to our premiership

The thing i remember most from this game was Chris Anderson's bizarre 1 marker game plan. He had spruiked his 1 marker defensive system all week, how they had trained all off season for it and how it would be a revolution. It took one half of football to expose the major flaws in it. The biggest flaw was that it took a tackler way to much effort to get back 10 after being involved in a tackle and it took the other tackler to much effort to get to marker as their was never a 2nd marker as a failsafe. The roosters took a long time to adjust back from that defensive system and it ended up costing Anderson his job and ended a fairly successful coaching career

Also i believe this was the debut of our black trim jumper, with simple black bunny emblem (changed from the bunny in the oval emblem) that pretty much stayed untouched through to our premiership

I'd completely forgotten the one marker theory.

Latest posts