What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'11 | AAMI CvC | Fri | Country 18-12 City | Lavington SG, Albury

CvC: COU v CIT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Big Pete

Referee
After this game, certainties for the blues: Uate, Jennings.

Who else?

:lol: Yes please.

Tolman, Uate and Learoyd-Lahrs all appear certainties after this game.

Mullen, Pearce, Soward provides selectors with a welcome head-ache. All three played well.

skeepe

Immortal
Dugan clearly outplayed Hayne by the way. His involvement was good, his defence couldn't be faulted, and his support play was impeccable. Almost every single time a Country player ran it up, Dugan was there sweating on the offload and giving the defenders something to think about.

Anyone who thinks Dugan didn't have a good game clearly watched hoping for him to fail. There really wasn't any more he could have done tonight.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Whatever I say about the fullback position is going to sound biased but I thought Dugan looked more interested. Especially when Soward went off.

Hayne did some good things but still only injects himself when he feels like it.

Doomednow

Bench
Hope Dugan gets picked over Hayne and Gordon all did okay tonight nothing too special. Gordon did the best though

Agree. None really stood out tonight. Gordon could have almost been a cert had he completed that 60 metre run. But it wasn't to be. Without an injury I doubt he'll see a blue jumper this year.

Also a pity Dugan couldn't finish that chip and chase. But really I don't think either of the three stood out.

boxhead

First Grade
It's good that Jennings played well, opens up another option in the centres alongside J. Morris, Idris and Gasnier.

I still think, despite lacking in experience, if the selectors punt Hayne from the fullback spot (I doubt they will drop him altogether (wing), but his form warrants a drop) they should pick Gordon over Dugan. Gordon has been much better than the other two throughout the season.

caylo

Bench
Hope Dugan gets picked over Hayne and Gordon all did okay tonight nothing too special. Gordon did the best though

Hayne may have made some uncharacteritic mistakes but Dugan did nothing. Hayne look a lot more dominate in attack and called the ball more. Hayne also made a few try saving tackles and covered the kicking game pretty well.

I think Hayne has it over Dugan.

boxhead

First Grade
Dugan clearly outplayed Hayne by the way. His involvement was good, his defence couldn't be faulted, and his support play was impeccable. Almost every single time a Country player ran it up, Dugan was there sweating on the offload and giving the defenders something to think about.

Anyone who thinks Dugan didn't have a good game clearly watched hoping for him to fail. There really wasn't any more he could have done tonight.

He was quiet as was Hayne, both of them were solid and it's up to the differing fans to make judgements as to who was better. Famous quote, "I'm not biased" :sarcasm:

Gordon deserves it far more than Dugan or Hayne.

no name

Coach
I think the fact that Gordon didn't get a run at fullback at some stage suggests that it's out of Hayne and Dugan.
Hopefully Gordon can get a run on the wing.

boxhead

First Grade
The problem with that is that Dugan was selected on the basis of incumbency more than form; if it came down to club form, Gordon would have been the first-choice fullback. The other reason being that you can accomodate both players by moving Gordon to the wing.
It's still ridiculous though that it will come down to two players who are both out of form compared to their usual heights.

caylo

Bench
He was quiet as was Hayne, both of them were solid and it's up to the differing fans to make judgements as to who was better. Famous quote, "I'm not biased" :sarcasm:

Gordon deserves it far more than Dugan or Hayne.

Mate the wingers saw a lot more of the ball then both fullbacks, the conditions didn't suit throwing the ball around and either Hayne or Dugan got much clean ball.

Hayne got himself in a position to attack better then Dugan IMO, Gorden did well on the wing but its a different story when your in the middle of the field. Anyone who thinks Gorden is a better choice then Dugan or Hayne has rocks in their heads, as soon as Coote comes back Gorden will be back on the wing for Penrith, he is no where near as safe and doesn't read defence anywhere near as good as Hayne or Dugan do.

caylo

Bench
The problem with that is that Dugan was selected on the basis of incumbency more than form; if it came down to club form, Gordon would have been the first-choice fullback. The other reason being that you can accomodate both players by moving Gordon to the wing.
It's still ridiculous though that it will come down to two players who are both out of form compared to their usual heights.

Boxy stop reading the papers.

Hayne wasn't in bad form and Dugan has looked impressive since his come back from injury. I would have either in a heart beat over Gorden at fullback.

grouch

First Grade
Forward pack....hmmm I'm leaning to this;

8. Snowden
9. Farah
10. Leahroyd-Lahrs
11. One of Stewart/Dwyer/Watmough
12. Bird
13. Gallen

Definitely need to see Aiden Tolman and Tim Mannah in the side somewhere, definitely the two best young props in the game at the moment.
Not really settled on the back-row because of Lewis being injured and Watmough having a bit of a tough time.
Err, regarding the backrowers, I understand Beau Scott was easy to miss, being the 18th man for Australia and all... but Ben Creagh did run for over 120 metres in the Test tonight. Slightly harder to overlook

skeepe

Immortal

Dugan's out of form? What more could he have done tonight? He supported the ball carrier constantly, not his fault if they don't offload. He injected himself into the attack a lot without overplaying his hand, and he would have had a try from his support play if Soward had passed instead of trying to go himself early in the second half.

I really don't know what people expected of him.

boxhead

First Grade
Mate the wingers saw a lot more of the ball then both fullbacks, the conditions didn't suit throwing the ball around and either Hayne or Dugan got much clean ball.

Hayne got himself in a position to attack better then Dugan IMO, Gorden did well on the wing but its a different story when your in the middle of the field. Anyone who thinks Gorden is a better choice then Dugan or Hayne has rocks in their heads, as soon as Coote comes back Gorden will be back on the wing for Penrith, he is no where near as safe and doesn't read defence anywhere near as good as Hayne or Dugan do.

Fact is mate, Gordon's form this year at fullback has completely eclipsed that of either Dugan or Hayne. It isn't much the case that Coote has been forced out so much as, and this was at the back end of last season too, that Gordon's form there is just too good not to warrant his selection. If Stuart's going to involve form in his calculations then Gordon deserves the job.

Hayne and Dugan are obviously the first-choice fullbacks and so they should be, Hayne is the incumbent and Dugan is the favourite for Hayne's spot. At the start of the year I would have told someone who was suggesting what I am suggesting right now that they are crazy. But on form? Neither player deserves to be there.

boxhead

First Grade
Boxy stop reading the papers.

Hayne wasn't in bad form and Dugan has looked impressive since his come back from injury. I would have either in a heart beat over Gorden at fullback.

Stop reading the papers? :lol:
Hayne not in bad form? That's dribble and you know it. Hayne has been ordinary and quiet the whole year, he occasionally has his moments of brilliance and I will give him credit, he is doing a lot of work. But he is far from playing as he should be and as such it is understandable that for a player of his quality, many would consider his form to be ordinary.

Dugan has been good since he came back, but he is obviously still carrying a bit of a niggle and he isn't doing as well as he could be. That's the only reason I say he hasn't been that good.

Gordon has been better than both of them, by a mile, at fullback and you should do yourself a favour and watch recent Panthers games where he plays in the number 1. Of course I think Hayne or Dugan will get it, but do they deserve it? Nope.

Err, regarding the backrowers, I understand Beau Scott was easy to miss, being the 18th man for Australia and all... but Ben Creagh did run for over 120 metres in the Test tonight. Slightly harder to overlook

I knew I was forgetting someone, I knew there was someone that I was thinking of but I couldn't remember the name. Yes, definitely either Creagh or Scott for that other back-row spot.

Dugan's out of form? What more could he have done tonight? He supported the ball carrier constantly, not his fault if they don't offload. He injected himself into the attack a lot without overplaying his hand, and he would have had a try from his support play if Soward had passed instead of trying to go himself early in the second half.

I really don't know what people expected of him.

Not so much out of form as he isn't where he probably should be. It's amazing you point out all that when a few Eels fans would probably say the same amount of good things about Hayne as well. Neither really set the world on fire tonight.

When it comes down to it, I want Gordon selected because neither Dugan or Hayne really deserves the mantle at the moment. If we are trying to pick a fullback and stick with him, much like with the halves and the other key roles in the team, then a decision needs to be made immediately on whether you keep Hayne there or move him to the wing and put Dugan there. My ideal back-line at the start of the year was;

1. Dugan
2. Uate
3. Morris
4. Jennings
5. Hayne

What I'm probably failing to miss is that you can acommodate all three of them with Dugan at 1, and Gordon and Hayne at 2 and 5. Of course though, that leaves Uate out, which makes even more head-aches.

Team on what should be/expected to select;

1. Dugan
2. Gordon
3. Gasnier
4. Idris
5. Uate

Great, my midnight madness is back :(

Last edited:

caylo

Bench
Fact is mate, Gordon's form this year at fullback has completely eclipsed that of either Dugan or Hayne. It isn't much the case that Coote has been forced out so much as, and this was at the back end of last season too, that Gordon's form there is just too good not to warrant his selection. If Stuart's going to involve form in his calculations then Gordon deserves the job.

Hayne and Dugan are obviously the first-choice fullbacks and so they should be, Hayne is the incumbent and Dugan is the favourite for Hayne's spot. At the start of the year I would have told someone who was suggesting what I am suggesting right now that they are crazy. But on form? Neither player deserves to be there.

QLD picked JT when Prince was in great form, they picked slater when wesser and bowen were in great form etc. If you picked teams on form every week you would have a different origin side... that is a dumb argument.

You said Hayne and Dugan were out of form, that is ridiculous. Hayne and Dugan have been in sides struggling also Hayne has missed the last two weeks while Dugan has completed only two matches this year. You can't judge form on such few performances.

Hayne is leading stats for most deparments for fullbacks this year while both fullbacks scored two tries in their last match. Gorden has been a shining light for Penrith but that is because people have come to expect that sort of form from Dugan and Hayne.

IMO neither Dugan or Hayne could have done much more, I think Hayne looked better in attack and played a more prominent role and so I would chose him but I understand people who go the other way. Very much a 50-50 call just like it will be near impossible to seperate Mullen and Pearce IMO.

stormbati

Bench
Ok I don't watch much of Dugan, not that he's played a lot lately anyway, but I know Hayne can be and has been caught out by a good kicking game. Even Parra fans know he lacks urgency. Based on this, I think he doesn't play at fullback for NSW. On the wing, maybe. He'd be a lot more effective than Morris.
Dugan reminds me of Hodges, very strong and hard to tackle.
So I don't know who should be fullback, just not Hayne.

Doomednow

Bench
:lol: Yes please.

Tolman, Uate and Learoyd-Lahrs all appear certainties after this game.

Mullen, Pearce, Soward provides selectors with a welcome head-ache. All three played well.

Do you really think Jennings played a bad game? I'd freely admit he's out of form at club level, but he put in a pretty solid performance tonight both in attack and defence. I'm interested because I haven't rated him in a while, but purely based on tonight I thought he showed he can still perform.

skeepe

Immortal
I never said he set the world on fire, I asked what more you expected of him - you have, so far, failed to come up with an answer.

Tonight wasn't the sort of game where one player stood out above all, but I will say one thing for Dugan: he looked far more enthusiastic and I interested than Hayne did.

Dugan wanted the ball all night. He wanted to take the game by the scruff of the neck and make it his own. It wasn't the sort of game where thatwas going to happen, but his desire was there for all to see.