What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'11 | Prelim Final 2 | Sat | Storm v Warriors | AAMI

Grand Finalist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cheops

Juniors
if the warriors give away stupid penalties like they did in the Tigers game the Storm wont even have to play well to win. However if everything is just about 50/50 this game is too close to call.Ill say Storm by 2 just becasue Ima Storm man.

Yep. We need to hope Melbourne don't drop the ball much, otherwise we could be defending our own line all night

Cronk2011

Juniors
I think Mateo and Johnson are the 2 the storm need to worry about and to a lesser extent Hoahia, when the warriors win it's usually on the back of their unpredictability. Melbourne eat up teams that play tight, and outside these 3 i don't see where the threat will come from.

Locke is elusive but doesn't really ask question's of opposition defence, he doesn't have a pass in his game, even on a sweep he runs it 99/100. Tupou & Vatuvei are forwards on the wings, great for hard yards from there own end but not enough speed or aerial prowess to really worry the storm defence. Brown has no pass and is easily read, Inu is an enigma, but i'll write him off considering rocks usually follow his diamonds.

Maloney is a running 5/8 who offers 0 options at the line, if he has the ball in hand he is either running or kicking, Johnson has set up twice as many line break assists in half the game's of James. Also his try assist ratio is better already. Lillyman, Heremia, Rapira, Matulino etc are all straight running tight playing forwards with little creativity. Ditto to Mannering & Luck. They are tackling robots.

These types of players are easily handled by the storm, if Warriors win i gaurentee you either Mateo/Johnson/Hoahia play blinder's and get them home. Johnson needs to be hitting Mateo all night and if they were smart he would be going outside of Beau Champion. The Warriors need to complete sets but also chance their hand, a tough combination to achieve.

Then conversely, there's Cronk, Smith & Slater to stop.

Storm by 14

devoid

Juniors

Hutty1986

Immortal
I think Mateo and Johnson are the 2 the storm need to worry about and to a lesser extent Hoahia, when the warriors win it's usually on the back of their unpredictability. Melbourne eat up teams that play tight, and outside these 3 i don't see where the threat will come from.

Locke is elusive but doesn't really ask question's of opposition defence, he doesn't have a pass in his game, even on a sweep he runs it 99/100. Tupou & Vatuvei are forwards on the wings, great for hard yards from there own end but not enough speed or aerial prowess to really worry the storm defence. Brown has no pass and is easily read, Inu is an enigma, but i'll write him off considering rocks usually follow his diamonds.

Maloney is a running 5/8 who offers 0 options at the line, if he has the ball in hand he is either running or kicking, Johnson has set up twice as many line break assists in half the game's of James. Also his try assist ratio is better already. Lillyman, Heremia, Rapira, Matulino etc are all straight running tight playing forwards with little creativity. Ditto to Mannering & Luck. They are tackling robots.

These types of players are easily handled by the storm, if Warriors win i gaurentee you either Mateo/Johnson/Hoahia play blinder's and get them home. Johnson needs to be hitting Mateo all night and if they were smart he would be going outside of Beau Champion. The Warriors need to complete sets but also chance their hand, a tough combination to achieve.

Then conversely, there's Cronk, Smith & Slater to stop.

Storm by 14

That's a bit harsh imo. Manu is sensational in the air and Locke can be devastating on kick returns

Cronk2011

Juniors
That's a bit harsh imo. Manu is sensational in the air and Locke can be devastating on kick returns

I really should be more specific, i was talking their impact against the storm directly, manu can be very good in the air but i just can't see him outleaping Duffie, and with Locke i was more talking about his attack in the redzone, sure he's got speed to burn and alot of agility but he doesnt seem to have that option or cut out pass on the sweep that alot of the more experienced full-backs have incorporated into their games like Boyd, Stewart, Slater etc. He is a runner which is fine, but the pass is what worries Melbourne, in my opinion ofcourse.

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
I really should be more specific, i was talking their impact against the storm directly, manu can be very good in the air but i just can't see him outleaping Duffie, and with Locke i was more talking about his attack in the redzone, sure he's got speed to burn and alot of agility but he doesnt seem to have that option or cut out pass on the sweep that alot of the more experienced full-backs have incorporated into their games like Boyd, Stewart, Slater etc. He is a runner which is fine, but the pass is what worries Melbourne, in my opinion ofcourse.

Your analysis overall is pretty good, but on the Duffie Vatuvei aerial battle, Duffie might outleap Manu, but while he is up there, he could well be flying backwards at a rate of knots from the collision....

Lowdown

Juniors
A shame if true. He'll probably also miss out on a possible Grand Final if they win, after being out so long.

Sean18

Juniors
Would love to see the Warriors get up, but i think the Storm will be too good. Storm by 12.

stormbati

Bench
The Broncos gave the Warriors no field position in their game. I'm tipping a similar approach from us. Kicking game is crucial in this game.

Billythekid

First Grade
This is going to be an interesting match. The warriors always play well against us and lately i think we haven't looked that good in our victories.

I also really worry about the idea of Champion marking someone like Inu. He would be carved up.

One Warrior

Bench

Not a bad pass last week from Locke to Maloney for Maloney to score.

Cronk2011

Juniors
Not a bad pass last week from Locke to Maloney for Maloney to score.

He scooted from dummy half after a quick play the ball and flopped a ball out the back, hardly the same as running a sweep and throwing a 20m cutout pass to the winger and hitting him on the chest.