What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'11 | R4 | Fri | Rabbitohs 32-30 Sea Eagles | Bluetongue

R4: SOU v MAN

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Merdy33

Juniors
Yeah we where 18 points in front.

We had 5 penalties to 3 on the night. Of which two where back to back, so it was no piggyback.

People are acting like we received 20 penalties on the night.

TBH, receiving 5 penalties to the oppositions 0 in real terms is equivalent to, say 10, if they were evenly distributed. And don't dare quote the overall penalty count. Manly received them all in one set of 6, early in tackle counts. Thats the pointabout the square up. Looking purely at the count, it looks OK. But anyone who watched the game can see that as soon as manly got the ball that Soufs had, they piled on the points equally quickly, if not quicker.

BranVan3000

Coach
We received less penalties because we played better and Manly played like grubs. What's the issue? When we finally got penalties its because we did something dumb in the last ten minutes

TBH, receiving 5 penalties to the oppositions 0 in real terms is equivalent to, say 10, if they were evenly distributed. And don't dare quote the overall penalty count. Manly received them all in one set of 6, early in tackle counts. Thats the pointabout the square up. Looking purely at the count, it looks OK. But anyone who watched the game can see that as soon as manly got the ball that Soufs had, they piled on the points equally quickly, if not quicker.

Manly had the majority of possession throughout the game

Last edited:

Ziggy the God

First Grade

I can quote whatever I like, it was 5 - 3 at the end.

Penrith must be upset, they lost the penalties 9 to 5 last night.

Start an inquiry, someone anything, we need an excuse as Souths never win a game on their own merits.

Liddell

Juniors

Even Dessie commented on how disciplined Souths were in that first half. You aren't just entitled to penalties. Maybe Manly should be looking in their own backyard. The blatant rake on Sutton, mid air tackle on Morgan, the dumb play the ball by Kite, forearm to the face by Watmough...all legit penalties.

Merdy33

Juniors
We received less penalties because we played better and Manly played like grubs. What's the issue? When we finally got penalties its because we did something dumb in the last ten minutes

Manly had the majority of possession throughout the game

Whatever. You're missing my point about timing and context of possession and penalties.

In any event, you won't change my opinion on anything about last night. So enjoy your win and good luck next week.

Merdy33

Juniors
Even Dessie commented on how disciplined Souths were in that first half. You aren't just entitled to penalties. Maybe Manly should be looking in their own backyard. The blatant rake on Sutton, mid air tackle on Morgan, the dumb play the ball by Kite, forearm to the face by Watmough...all legit penalties.

And I'm not impressed with this mellower, more gracious Dessie. I prefer the irritable Des that got us a premiership. Not that you'd know about one of those, unless you're 50+.

I'm pretty sure there would have been some irony in his comment.

As if the referees couldn't find a couple of those penalties by Soufs earlier had they wanted to. They certainly could when they realised they had better do something to make the count appear fair.

Nemesis

Bench
And I'm not impressed with this mellower, more gracious Dessie. I prefer the irritable Des that got us a premiership. Not that you'd know about one of those, unless you're 50+.

I'm pretty sure there would have been some irony in his comment.

As if the referees couldn't find a couple of those penalties by Soufs earlier had they wanted to. They certainly could when they realised they had better do something to make the count appear fair.
You must be that fat old clueless oxygen thief Peter Peters, who's lard arse took up 2 seats within spitting distance from me on Friday night. There were another half a dozen infringements that WoManly
could have been penalised for and weren't you goose, so they actually got off lightly.

Souths had just as many injuries and outplayed you whingers all over the park for 71 minutes, whilst you outplayed us for 9.
Do you think anyone cares about has-been Hasler's boring and predictable post match dummy spits? The better team won.....end of.

cupid

Juniors
Des Hasler wants answers from referees
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...rs-from-referees/story-e6frexnr-1226032551925

MANLY coach Des Hasler is set for a showdown with referees coach Stuart Raper after the controversial loss to South Sydney on Friday night.

Souths were awarded the opening five penalties, while the Sea Eagles didn't receive one until the 68th minute.

Frustrated at the lop-sided count, Manly captain Jason King was heard to ask rookie referee Adam Devcich: "Have we had a penalty yet?"

Devcich then replied: "They haven't had many."

In a carefully-worded appraisal of the refereeing display, Hasler accused the whistle-blowers of "putting themselves under the microscope" and of "only refereeing one side".

"I rang Stuart Raper straight after the game. I can handle penalties going against us, but what I can't handle is that you can't only referee one side," Hasler said.

"One side can't have five penalties against them and the other side doesn't get a penalty until the 68th minute.

"This is where they bring criticism upon themselves and put themselves under the microscope. Then they compound the issue by going penalty, penalty, penalty to us towards the end of the game.

"That's stupid. They've got to treat the public with a little bit more intelligence than that.

"They've got to be smarter about it. The ruck is so subjective that if you really wanted to, you could blow 20 penalties. To their credit, the referees' bosses are very good. They let you approach them, so I've left messages with them and I'll speak to them about it."

Raper confirmed Hasler contacted him on Friday night and will wait until the referees debrief before talking to the Sea Eagles coach.

"Des didn't leave a message for me, he rang me at 10pm with a statement and I'll talk to Des about his statement on Monday," Raper said.

Raper conceded "there may have been one or two other penalties that were able to go the other way", but he said he was satisfied with the refereeing performance.

"I was very content with the performance of the referees, I thought they contributed to a high-quality spectacle," Raper said yesterday.

"I spoke to Russell Smith, who is the evaluator on that game, and he said there were probably a few instances where it may not have been a penalty. But he was very impressed with the referees' performances, as was I.

"I also spoke to Sean Hampstead and he had very high praise, too."

Under the tutelage of new referee coaches Raper and Bill Harrigan, the whistle-blowers are being urged to be more assertive and trust their instincts. The referees who controlled the Sea Eagles-Souths encounter were the experienced Ashley Klein and rookie Devcich.

Beachy Eagle

Juniors
Souths were simply too good on friday night.
Would have been nice as an eagles supporter to see a few more first graders available for the eagles for a cracker friday night game like that, but the young boys did the best they could with what they had infront of them. Penalty count or no penatly count souths were too good for our young fells's.
Congrats on the win Rabbits!

Latest posts