What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'12 | R1 | Sat | Cowboys 0-18 Titans | DFS

Round 1 result: Cowboys v Titans

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Charlie124

First Grade
I liken the Titans of 2012 to the Cowboys of 2011 but to a slightly lesser extent. We cleared the decks of a lot of deadwood and bought the right players in the right positions and i think the Titans identified that something at their club had to change and have gone out into the market to fix that.

Idris, Champion, Douglas, Myles are all good signings and steps in the right direction, much like D Johnson, Tate, Sims, Hall, Winterstein, G Cooper were great signings for us last year.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Good preview for the titans on the footy show last night, couldn't tell who they were playing though

Charlie124

First Grade
Brent Tate ruled out for North Queensland Cowboys in blow for NRL round one

NORTH Queensland have been dealt a blow, with coach Neil Henry confirming star centre Brent Tate had not recovered from a rib injury before the start of the NRL season.

The news is slightly better for key Cowboys' recruit Robert Lui (knee), who remains an outside chance of taking his place on the Cowboys bench to face Gold Coast in their season-opener on Saturday night despite not being named in the team on Tuesday.

Tate, who suffered the rib cartilage injury in a trial loss to Gold Coast a fortnight ago, has been unable to take part in contact training sessions, with Henry all but ruling him out of the clash at Dairy Farmers Stadium.

Tate, who was named alongside Kane Linnett in the centres by Henry, will be given up until an hour before the game to prove his fitness - and whether he'd be ready to face the challenge of reining in powerful Titan Jamal Idris.

"It's one of those things that if you can cope with (it's ok but) it's not a position on the body you'd want to try to put a needle into, around the lungs as well,'' Henry said.

"It's one of those things you've just got to have a tolerance to pain and, at the moment, he would be in a fair bit of discomfort if he had to get tackled on it.

"Whether that changes before the game and he wants to play, I'll give him to the last moment.''

Winger Antonio Winterstein would slot into the centres should Tate be ruled out, with Henry to decide between Kalifa Faifai Loa and Moses Pangai as the replacement winger.

Henry admitted Tate's loss would be a huge blow for the side, but backed Winterstein to handle NSW representative Idris.

"It is a bit of a blow. His experience will be needed out there,'' he said.

''(But) there's no point pushing him out there if he's underdone.

''... (Winterstein) did a good job in the trial.

"Tatey went off inside the first two minutes of the game, so I thought Antonio was pretty good on that edge when he went there and marked (Idris) fairly well.''

Lui has trained in bursts with the team all week, sparking rumours he could replace youngster Ray Thompson at halfback to partner five-eighth Johnathan Thurston.

And Henry said if he did manage to make it through the team's final training run unscathed, Lui would come into contention for a spot - be it in the starting lineup or on the bench.

"I think if he comes through and he's really confident about it, I'd certainly have to consider him,'' Henry said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...6287559444?from=igoogle+gadget+compact+bi_rss

Chip Bayless

Juniors
Cowboys to win though Titans will be an improved team in 2012. There could be an upset here, I wouldn't be surprised. Should be good viewing.

Brent Tate likely to be ruled out.

Didgi

The U20s have kicked off. A try to Lloyd McIvor, converted by Sam Foster, 6-0 Cowboys.

Jason Taumalolo is playing 20s.

blaza88z

Coach
i'm a betting man.. someone please tell me why cowboys are 1.50, titans have bought really well

Didgi

http://www.cowboys.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=48136&title=team-lists:-cowboys-v-titans

Team lists: Cowboys v Titans
3/03/2012 6:04:14 PM
One Toyota Cowboys player will make his NRL debut and two others will play their first games for North Queensland in tonight’s NRL season opener against the Gold Coast Titans at Dairy Farmers Stadium.

Mosese Pangai has been called into the Cowboys lineup with Brent Tate withdrawing due to a rib cartilage injury sustained in the early minutes of the trial against the Titans two weeks ago, while Robert Lui and Joel Riethmuller have been added to the interchange bench.

James Segeyaro and Jason Taumalolo, who lined up in the Toyota Cup game against the Titans, drop out of the squad of 17 named by coach Neil Henry on Tuesday.

Pangai played 83 matches in the Toyota Cup, including last season’s grand final against the NZ Warriors, and will make his NRL debut on the wing, with Antonio Winterstein switching to right centre as Tate’s replacement.

The Cowboys are hopeful Tate, who is still in considerable pain, will be okay for next Friday night’s clash with Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium.

Ex-Wests Tiger Lui, who played his junior football with Townsville clubs Upper Ross Rams and Centrals, will finally realise his dream of playing for the Cowboys after overcoming a dislocated patella and torn knee ligament sustained in a training mishap five weeks ago, while Riethmuller’s appearance will be his fifth in the NRL after making his debut last year.

Kane Linnett will also make his debut for North Queensland tonight after moving north from the Roosters and becomes Cowboy number 229.

Pangai will forever be Cowboy number 230 and Lui number 231.

Tonight’s match kicks off at 8.30pm (Qld time) and will be live on Fox Sports 2 and 4TOFM – follow our Twitter feed @nthqldcowboys for live score updates.

North Queensland Toyota Cowboys: 1. Matthew Bowen, 2. Ashley Graham, 18. Mosese Pangai, 4. Kane Linnett, 5. Antonio Winterstein, 6. Johnathan Thurston (c), 7. Ray Thompson, 8. Matthew Scott (c), 9. Aaron Payne, 10. James Tamou, 11. Gavin Cooper, 12. Glenn Hall, 13. Dallas Johnson. Interchange: 15. Scott Bolton, 17. Ashton Sims, 19. Robert Lui, 20. Joel Riethmuller.

Gold Coast Titans: 1. William Zillman, 2. Steve Michaels, 3. Jamal Idris, 4. Dominique Peyroux, 5. David Mead, 6. Jordan Rankin, 7. Scott Prince, 8. Luke Bailey, 9. Kayne Lawton, 10. Nate Myles, 11. Greg Bird, 12. Mark Minichiello, 13. Ashley Harrison. Interchange: 14. Luke Douglas, 15. Matthew White, 16. Ben Ridge, 17. Matt Srama.

I still want to know what KFFL has done wrong.

DogEEL

Juniors
i think lui just might be the player the cowboys have needed for years now, jt has had to do everything on his own & lui will be a great asset. they will make the 8!

where is the young monstah sims? can't wait to see him get even better & get a blues spot.

why drop segeyaro??? he was great off the bench last year!

sputneek

Juniors
I hope the titans lose. Bought every player on the market except in the halves which was where they actually needed someone.

Latest posts