What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'12 | R1 | Sun | Tigers* 17-16 Sharks | Leichhardt

Round 1 result: Tigers v Sharks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MacDougall

First Grade
It's tall poppy syndrome. Australia's most rampant illness. Mostly inspired by Media Marshall and Farah the Restaurateur. There's also a touch of justified hatred directed at Tim Moltzen but really, he had the opportunity to stay with his mates at the eleventh hour and took it, and so would anybody. It was unfortunate for the Dragons but Moltzen is pretty overrated anyway tbh.

adamkungl

Immortal
There is no Tigers hate ffs. At worst there's some "sick of Benji" sooking. You're so un-hated that at the slightest sign of distaste you're proclaiming everyone as jealous haters.

You are hated when people say
"I'm going for my team, and whoever plays Wests"

Or there are 5 consecutive threads entitled "LOL@TIGPIES"

or half of LU thinks you should be booted from the comp

etc...

Tigers dead set have to be close to the least hated team in the competition

Good wrap up MacDougall.

I try miserably to be unbiased when I watch a game, and I didn't like many of the calls, but I could see how the referee may have been correct on many. I thought the angles on Smith to Topou were too inconclusive to say forward, I thought the advantage was OK, I thought that De Gois was unlucky to be penalised for Galloway's poor play the ball, Gallen was stripped on the line (but it is a poor rule and teams shouldn't be penalised in that situation), the passes in the last try were OK (again the tv shots were not convincing that the passes were forward, and Ryan did so well it would have been cruel to deny it on those views), Utai was out, Tigers were offside charging down the Carney field goal shot, and Best did double move by the rules (though if the video ref says he would have awarded it, we can look forward to plenty more debates this year..). I can also see how an argument could be made against all of these.

The one that really annoyed me was the offside penalty after a charge down. The referee just got the rule wrong, and that is very poor. This is not the same as knowing the rule but seeing the situation differently from fans of the team that are penalised. To not know the rule or not follow it in a pressure situation was disgraceful. And it didn't cost the Sharks the game necessarily, but it may have.

As to the teams:

Ryan was great, and is definitely underrated, and Utai was solid. Humble looked the goods. Ellis was good, Farah looked dangerous at times but needs more, Tedescoe had a great start, poor kid, hope he is OK, Marshall was cool when it counted, Tigers were unlucky to lose two key players to injury. They also didn't play very well for much of the game, but the Sharks were way worse in the first half. But the Tigers showed they can score great tries under pressure, which has always been their trademark, and will carry them a long way.

Carney looked dangerous and looks to have solved several of the our issues from the last few years, which bodes well (poor attack on the line, and inneffective centres- Carney helped both). Gallen did well to even be out there, having been in hospital earlier this week, and the weather was terrible for league and a man who had been ill- BunniesMan is kidding to attack his efforts, he was great. Bakuya is already a Shark's fan favourite, but he again showed why. The prop rotation looks better.

The two worries for the Sharks (that have been poor for years, and hadn't improved) were the errors (Matt Wright WTF?) and the poor decision making under pressure (early try double movement stretch, kick at goal in last 5 mins, early field goal shot etc).

For Tigers fans to say the Tigers were poor (they were, and they were completely outplayed in the last half hour of regular time), but the Sharks were "near their best" with about 30% completions in the first half (not counting penalties and the try) is laughable. The Sharks could hardly have played a worse first half, and that is a real worry for them. I suspect some Tigers fans are a bit manic in their denial of the Tigers form and talking up the Sharks as close to their best as their team, the favourites for the premiership, just won in extra time (in controversial circumstances) against one of the wooden spoon favourites. Well there is lots of season left to properly judge the form of both teams.

But the good thing for the Sharks is how good they looked when they had a reasonable (not stellar, but good) completion rate in the second half.

Either side could easily have won, and a few different decisions or bounces of the ball or better execution (better goal kicking) could have given either side a more comfortable try or two win. That is usually the case in close games. Both sides showed good and and bad signs, and both will want to improve.

but, but, but, he's shit and only gets games because of his footy show work.

Pigskin

Juniors
Really enjoyed the game. Tipped the Sharks in all my comps that have a massive amount of entries - Attack ! Tipped the Tigers in the comps I care about.

Think the Sharks are going to have a good year, and saw plenty to like about them today.

Question time ... With a hot muggy day, heavy ground, lots of players cramping etc, the extra time ... the tigers play Friday night ... gotta be a big question mark on how well they will back up.

Oink !

hybrid_tiger

Coach
It's tall poppy syndrome. Australia's most rampant illness. Mostly inspired by Media Marshall and Farah the Restaurateur. There's also a touch of justified hatred directed at Tim Moltzen but really, he had the opportunity to stay with his mates at the eleventh hour and took it, and so would anybody. It was unfortunate for the Dragons but Moltzen is pretty overrated anyway tbh.

Like I said at the time, the Dragons dodged a bullet. Moltzen offers very little, he is pedestrian.

Frailty

First Grade
Having finally seen the 'double movement' that was discussed earlier (as I said, I hadn't seen the game) - I think the call was justified. To me, I think his moment had stopped and then he stretched out. It will be interesting if Steve Clark in fact said he would have awarded it - if so, I'm not looking forward to Video Ref decisions this year.

As for a hatred of Tigers? I think you guys have this severe case of paranoia and that a lot of you are acting like f**kwits instead of clearly admitting you were virtually handed the game by the referees.

This is not because I hate the Tigers. The opposite is true - they are my second favourite team and I have a family attachment as my late grandfather played for the Balmain Tigers. You need to get over yourselves just admit you were handed the game by a bullshit decision that was plain wrong (not a missed call - a completely wrong rule) and directly resulted in the Tigers winning the game

adamkungl

Immortal
The 2GB team all thought it was a double movement. Or was I listening to ABC? I forget. The radio said it was a double movement :p

Armageddon.

Juniors
What is it now? Tigers have won 13 of the last 14 games between the 2 side?
Something like that anyway.

Patorick

Staff member
Any Sharks fans who think they were dudded by the refs need to look at the forward pass in their first try.

They got the charge down wrong, and the double movement should have gone to the video ref, but it all evens out.

They got the charge down wrong, and the double movement should have gone to the video ref, but it all evens out.
thats in the game stuff and its fine. that was evened out.

they scored off pretty dubious penalty when galloway farked up a play the ball.

to not even know what the f**king rules were is a disgrace. he should be fired. not just dropped.

and as a sharks fan of nearly 20 years

its not even.

Latest posts