What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'12 | R1 | Thu | Knights 14-15 Dragons* | Hunter

Round 1 result: Knights v Dragons

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RWB

Bench
Dragons comfortably the better side but the refs already having an impact on the Round 1 game with a poor decision on that mystery 'strip'.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Just had a look and fumblertson still managed to rack up 40 tackles, how often does he do that?

Rod

Bench
A lot of our boys looked a bit off the pace but Buderus wasn't one of them. I'm stunned the amount of criticism he's getting. He did have a couple of errors but he was running around like a madman.

He definitely threw a couple of forward passes that went undetected though I admit.

Anyway I'm happy to get within a point considering that we obviously have so much improvement in us. Looking forward to seeing how the team comes together over the coming weeks.

Congrats Dragons fans.

Johns Magic

Referee
Oh oh you just want Butriss to play origin

Knights wankers

You trying to use skeepe of all people to back you up just makes you look even stupider.

You have an issue Vic, it's almost 24 hours on and here you still are making a fool of yourself and carrying on like a 12 year old.

Go down the road to your local GP and I'm sure they can recommend a few shrinks that can help you out. Maybe photoshop a sky-blue jersey onto a picture of Robbie to help soothe the rage in the meantime.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Did Chief also say that? :lol:

I remember Matty talking him up, saying he would be the ideal fit to replace Minichiello. The problem? Milton was a Queenslander.

Chief's biggest derp moment came in 2005 where he passionately put forward a wild card system to ensure the in-form teams would be involved in the finals. I don't think Sterlo knew how to react to it.

But that's a whole other topic, I really enjoyed the game last night. Both teams showed plenty of positives and negatives and there was a lot of drama. A perfect opening to season 2012.

lololol I remember that. It was when Newcastle were on a massive winning streak when Joey returned mid-season. Went from last to just missing the 8.

skeepe

Immortal
You trying to use skeepe of all people to back you up just makes you look even stupider.

You have an issue Vic, it's almost 24 hours on and here you still are making a fool of yourself and carrying on like a 12 year old.

Go down the road to your local GP and I'm sure they can recommend a few shrinks that can help you out. Maybe photoshop a sky-blue jersey onto a picture of Robbie to help soothe the rage in the meantime.

Your denial is hilarious.

Rod

Bench
lololol I remember that. It was when Newcastle were on a massive winning streak when Joey returned mid-season. Went from last to just missing the 8.

Nah we still got the spoon despite that late run.

I remember Chief saying that and in his defence I don't think he was being serious. He did struggle every week to hide his Newcastle passion though.

mongoose

Coach
A lot of our boys looked a bit off the pace but Buderus wasn't one of them. I'm stunned the amount of criticism he's getting. He did have a couple of errors but he was running around like a madman.

He definitely threw a couple of forward passes that went undetected though I admit.

Anyway I'm happy to get within a point considering that we obviously have so much improvement in us. Looking forward to seeing how the team comes together over the coming weeks.

Congrats Dragons fans.

Buderus had a solid game for his first game back in the NRL and should get better as the year goes on. My only fear now is that he will be selected for NSW. Johns or some other dope will make a comment "Buderus has to be in the blues side" and the selectors will follow suit thinking he will play like its 2005, except it will be Minichello 2011 all over again...

wibble

Bench
That was quite good for an opening round, rain drenched match.

Knights forwards looked a bit underdone, except the ranga (Edwards?) seemed to have plenty of go. Plenty of Sharks fans are of the opinion that Snowden may not be such a big loss (especially since we have more depth in the props, which is more important than having 1 or 2 great ones) and he seemed to struggle. But it is early in the season.

Buderus looked much better than I expected. Mullen was good but still drifted in and out of the game and will have to step up still in leading the team on field. Boyd and Uate looked threatening when they got the ball.

For the Dragons, I was super impressed with their line defense, especially from Cooper and Scott (has he slimmed down again to play centres? He looked sleeker but still tough). That new kid (De Belin?) in the back row was good, and Prior had a great game. Ah Mau seems to give them good punch in forward rotation. Hornby and Soward were focused. They look much better than I thought they would, so the Dragons might still be a force. Again, it is early, but both teams showed some grit, and some encouraging signs.

Ulysseus

Bench
Cuthbertson plays for Newcastle Kungl :p

Considering where he dropped that ball in front of the sticks 15m out he may as well have been playing for us, such was the get out of jail card.

Good first game, I remember 2010's first game between Sains and Parra and a few shitheads said it was the game that proved why Parra could win it and Saints will not.

Happy to get the win, but thought they could have killed the Knights off much earlier.
Anyway, we meet again in round 7 and, dare I say it, possibly much later in the year ;-)

Firey_Dragon

Coach
That was quite good for an opening round, rain drenched match.

Knights forwards looked a bit underdone, except the ranga (Edwards?) seemed to have plenty of go. Plenty of Sharks fans are of the opinion that Snowden may not be such a big loss (especially since we have more depth in the props, which is more important than having 1 or 2 great ones) and he seemed to struggle. But it is early in the season.

Buderus looked much better than I expected. Mullen was good but still drifted in and out of the game and will have to step up still in leading the team on field. Boyd and Uate looked threatening when they got the ball.

For the Dragons, I was super impressed with their line defense, especially from Cooper and Scott (has he slimmed down again to play centres? He looked sleeker but still tough). That new kid (De Belin?) in the back row was good, and Prior had a great game. Ah Mau seems to give them good punch in forward rotation. Hornby and Soward were focused. They look much better than I thought they would, so the Dragons might still be a force. Again, it is early, but both teams showed some grit, and some encouraging signs.
It's easy at first glance to write the dragons off this year, but to be honest, even without Gaz and Boyd, I think we actually have a much better balanced squad this year.

Contrary to popular belief, our problem last year (and even 2009 for that matter) wasn't our lack of ability to score points, it was the forward packs dying in the back end of the season. There are a few reasons behind this, but the main one was a lack of depth in the front row, over the off-season Price has gone a long way to rectifying this. The recruitment of Latimore, Ah Mau, Miller, Vea and Mathews have all been pretty astute, price-conscious signings... Add the development of someone like De Belin, return of Hunt, Merrin being a year wiser, and you've got a forward pack that can handle quite a few injuries, something that was seriously lacking in previous years. We've also got some much faster and smarter hookers coming through to get the forwards rolling on in Rein and King, Fien will be lucky if he's in first grade by mid-season.

Sure we've lost a bit of potency with the loss of Boyd, but any backline that contains Cooper, Nightingale, Morris, Soward and the Stanley brothers is more than capable of scoring points. It'll be interesting to see our offensive structures this year as the squad does lend itself to playing a bit more expansive footy. I'm more confident going into this year than last, anyone calling for us to not make the 8 I don't think has taken the time to analyse our problems of the past and see how the current squad has rectified it.

The biggest question mark is Price, but he'd be one of the most qualified assistants in the game.

Chip Bayless

Juniors
I was at this game - loved it. I took St George-Illawarra at a juicy $2.45 H2H and couldn't believe they were paying that much. This is still a well drilled team and not much was going to change post Bennett. They're a top four team the Dragons, I wasn't convinced Newcastle were heading in to the game, I left stating that they were a top eight team who will elevate to the elite in 2013.

Mullen as I said somewhere on here is the key in 2012. If he fires, they can be a top four team such is the influence I believe he can have on this team if he plays to his potential. His all round game at half can be as complete as any in the competition. Mullen played well, room to improve though.

Kurt Gidley isn't a five-eight. Never was and won't be in my opinion. He is serviceable there though and will remain for there for the season though a more traditional six would make this Newcastle back-line a lot better. I'd prefer him in the one jersey though Boyd is there and it won't happen.

Newcastle looked good attacking to their left with Boyd injecting himself in to the back-line. You know it's coming in a Bennett coached side yet it still puzzles opponents.

The Dragons will turn up and compete every week. You will need to work hard for points and if you turnover the ball cheaply, they will strangle you out of the game. They're a efficient football team that will be right up there in 2012. I'd prefer Scott in the backrow for them, that's his best position. Loved the look of De Belin, asserting himself on the team and game after debut in 2011. Rein at hooker looks very good too.

wibble

Bench
It's easy at first glance to write the dragons off this year, but to be honest, even without Gaz and Boyd, I think we actually have a much better balanced squad this year.

Contrary to popular belief, our problem last year (and even 2009 for that matter) wasn't our lack of ability to score points, it was the forward packs dying in the back end of the season. There are a few reasons behind this, but the main one was a lack of depth in the front row, over the off-season Price has gone a long way to rectifying this. The recruitment of Latimore, Ah Mau, Miller, Vea and Mathews have all been pretty astute, price-conscious signings... Add the development of someone like De Belin, return of Hunt, Merrin being a year wiser, and you've got a forward pack that can handle quite a few injuries, something that was seriously lacking in previous years. We've also got some much faster and smarter hookers coming through to get the forwards rolling on in Rein and King, Fien will be lucky if he's in first grade by mid-season.

Sure we've lost a bit of potency with the loss of Boyd, but any backline that contains Cooper, Nightingale, Morris, Soward and the Stanley brothers is more than capable of scoring points. It'll be interesting to see our offensive structures this year as the squad does lend itself to playing a bit more expansive footy. I'm more confident going into this year than last, anyone calling for us to not make the 8 I don't think has taken the time to analyse our problems of the past and see how the current squad has rectified it.

The biggest question mark is Price, but he'd be one of the most qualified assistants in the game.

I think you may be spot on here. Some lost backs (great as they were) when you still have the backs you've got is a great trade off for forward depth. When forwards tire and rotate out, if the incoming forwards lack the same strength, opposition teams often come roaring back into the game. Having more depth through the forwards squad is only going to make the Dragons tougher this year.