What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'12 | R25 | Sat | Cowboys 22-14 Knights | Dairy Farmers

Round 25 result: Cowboys v Knights

• Newcastle Knights

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Charlie124

First Grade
...and while im at it

For/Against: Last 3 weeks.

Cowboys - 106/48 (+58)
Bulldogs - 51/70 (-19)
Sea Eagles - 81/32 (+49)
Raiders - 78/36 (+42)
Broncos - 38/57 (-19)

So we've got the best for/against as well.

user_nat

Coach
I agree with the point you are making, Cowboys form is just as good as anyones. But its probably worth mentioning that the Cowboys are the only one of those sides to not play a top 8 side in the last 3 weeks.

Charlie124

First Grade
While thats true, it means little. At the time we played the Warriors, three weeks ago, they were still in the hunt, the Dragons were also in the hunt up until last week and the Knights up until tonight were also playing to stay in it. We've ended all three teams seasons, prior to that we had arguably the hardest run of games of any club in the comp

Warriors away
Storm away
Tigers home
Bulldogs away
Sea Eagles home

My point was that comments like the ones i highlighted are so far off the mark its not funny. Its as if people dont even watch our games.

beave

Coach
That game was f**king painful to watch, we're gonna be canon fodder against the better teams in a few weeks, in fact next week against the sharks I'd say we will get rolled.

Charlie124

First Grade
I'd hate to see us win a grand final someday, all I'll read on here is how shit we played and how we'll never win the wcc and be favourites for he spoon the following year.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Not enough credit has been paid to Newcastle in this instance.

Their defense and scrambling efforts were exemplary, particularly in the second half last night. NQ weren't all that bad with the ball in hand but Newcastle were defending like a team with their season on the line.

Fortunately for us we controlled the game well and never allowed them the field position to transfer their confidence in defense into their attack.

It was a decent win in a high intensity game.

beave

Coach
I'd hate to see us win a grand final someday, all I'll read on here is how shit we played and how we'll never win the wcc and be favourites for he spoon the following year.

So you were happy that we scored a measly couple of penalty goals in a half against the knights at home??? They would have been tired thanks to a short turnaround but I was at the game mate and saw it with my own eyes and the feeling was mirrored talking to fans on the walk over to Brothers leaguesy after the game, was disappointment in the fact its 2 weeks from the big show and we're still only playing decent for 40-50mins a game. The first 20mins against the Dragons was probably the best I have seen us play, smart and controlled with a dash of flair, if they could play like that for a full game they would be unstoppable and would get a heap of praise, but they continually fall asleep at crucial moments in the game. Yes I am happy (f**k that, estatic!) we are in the finals but considering the calibre of players in our ranks we should be playing better.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach

They way I saw the game you guys raced out to an 18-4 lead then conceded two very soft tries to get the Knights back into it. As soon as the knights got some posession in your 20m zone they put points on.

Besides didn't i rate the Cowboys premiership chances in a different thread and you thought I was crazy?

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
The Cows need to step it up massively. They will be playing in Melbourne or Sydney week 1. If they can win that game, they get a home prelim.

I don't think they can though. But, apart from Manly, no one is really in form.

Cows will make a prelim tis year I reckon. They get a guaranteed home final at some point. Hold on to the top 4 and they can make the GF, though I dont see them as winners.

I'll be supporting them and Canberra in the finals (if the Raiders get there).

Desert Qlder

First Grade
So you were happy that we scored a measly couple of penalty goals in a half against the knights at home??? They would have been tired thanks to a short turnaround but I was at the game mate and saw it with my own eyes and the feeling was mirrored talking to fans on the walk over to Brothers leaguesy after the game, was disappointment in the fact its 2 weeks from the big show and we're still only playing decent for 40-50mins a game. The first 20mins against the Dragons was probably the best I have seen us play, smart and controlled with a dash of flair, if they could play like that for a full game they would be unstoppable and would get a heap of praise, but they continually fall asleep at crucial moments in the game. Yes I am happy (f**k that, estatic!) we are in the finals but considering the calibre of players in our ranks we should be playing better.

You are overly critical on this occasion mate. At no stage during the game last night were the boys playing poorly. There were some poor moments, but overall we were good.

It is true we swung from showing swift attack to a more controlled defensive game in the second half. But this was necessary at the time because we were not completing sets and making poor errors. You cannot deny the way Thurston controlled the game with his kicking was bloody good.

To play at the optimum is an extremely difficult proposition. Even the form team of the competition - Manly struggles to do this. In the second half of their game on Friday they looked quite flat. But the approach they take is to try and blast teams away in the opening stanza and hold on to whatever lead they have. It is successful right now for them but be under no illusions, they are vulnerable when they lose that energy.

Our game would be well suited to take them on I feel. We demonstrated that when we played them last, only to lose very closely. And on that occasion our attack was well below where it is now, with Mitchell now taking a major role.

Have faith mate. We do have issues in our side but we are in this competition right up to our eyeballs.

Last edited:

Ianc

Juniors
You are overly critical on this occasion mate. At no stage during the game last night were the boys playing poorly. There were some poor moments, but overall we were good.

It is true we swung from showing swift attack to a more controlled defensive game in the second half. But this was necessary at the time because we were not completing sets and making poor errors. You cannot deny the way Thurston controlled the game with his kicking was not good.

To play at the optimum is an extremely difficult proposition. Even the form team of the competition - Manly struggles to do this. In the second half of their game on Friday they looked quite flat. But the approach they take is to try and blast teams away in the opening stanza and hold on to whatever lead they have. It is successful right now for them but be under no illusions, they are vulnerable when they lose that energy.

Our game would be well suited to take them on I feel. We demonstrated that when we played them last, only to lose very closely. And on that occasion our attack was well below where it is now, with Mitchell now taking a major role.

Have faith mate. We do have issues in our side but we are in this competition right up to our eyeballs.

Well said!