What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'13 | Origin II | Wed 26 Jun | QLD 26-6 NSW | Suncorp

Origin II: QLD v NSW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Someone

Bench
changing topic slighty, what did people think of slaters elbow?

i think it deserves a 1-2 match suspension. the bloke cant keep getting away with these sort of incidents because hes a 'compeititor'. if Hayne does it, he is public enemy number one.

Swarzey

Bench
It's Slater, a protected species. His high flying kick was disgracefully forgotten after a few weeks.

He won't get anything for it.

Chainshada

Juniors
1 if he already has points..players get knocks now and then when they're ontop of someone trying to get up quick..

I remember O'donnell going apesh*t in Origin when a QLD player had a guy ontop of him, and his legs were lashing about (like you see a couple of dozen times a game) and made contact with his leg.

A Couple of years ago in QLD cup, Josh McGuire was fired up and tried to get a quick play, ended up breaking Denan Kemp's nose.

This went a similar way to games 1 and 3 at Suncorp in 2011. NSW getting penalised early putting us on the back foot, Queensland putting a couple of tries on us and then mounting a heap of pressure. NSW having to make a massive amount of tackles in the first 20 minutes. Now I thought Thaiday dropped that ball cold and it was a big call cause thats how the Queensland onslaught began. Had it been ruled a NSW scrum as it should have been and we score down the other end, the momentum is all with us. But really, you expect that things won't always go your way. The fact is I have to rely on that one call for NSW to stay in the game from the start. It's showed me that we really haven't improved when it comes to handling QLD pressure and pulling through adversity. We simply aren't good enough atm to stop QLD when they are at their best.

natheel

Coach
Actually, 38 metres from 5 carries.
And Fifita was 97 from 12, so pretty similar per metre carries.
Gallen did not make decent metres in those first exchanges. NSW had the ball for about 9 tackles. Gallen stayed on when Woods went off. Fifita came on when NSW had the ball.
Woods defense in the middle of the park in the first 15 minutes was fantastic. That's basically all he could do.

Woods dropped the ball which gifted Queensland decent poses soon and yes it was a debatable drop. But simply woods didn't stand up like so many thought he would when given this opportunity. Mannah did better when he played origin.

We need aggressive forwards like Gallen, Fifita and Tamou. Grant would be a better option then Woods.

Alan Johnson

Juniors
Two pretty lopsided and not particularly entertaining games so far. Expecting more of a contest for game 3.

And it must be the camera angles at Suncorp, but I thought the players looked slower than normal. Maybe it's because i was watching it on a proper TV rather than a computer screen.

MacDougall

First Grade
Woods dropped the ball which gifted Queensland decent poses soon and yes it was a debatable drop. But simply woods didn't stand up like so many thought he would when given this opportunity. Mannah did better when he played origin.

We need aggressive forwards like Gallen, Fifita and Tamou. Grant would be a better option then Woods.

And the agenda rears its head.

He dropped the ball? QLDer tried to offload it and Woods played at the ball to prevent the offload. Anybody would have done it.

So what Gallen still managed to make decent metres in those first exchanges.

Woods made 38 metres from 7 carries
Gallen made 134 from 13
Fifita 97 from 10

Fifita played about 50 minutes of the game. Twice the amount Woods did. Gallen played even longer minutes. Woods made 5 carries not 7. While he was on the field NSW had possession 9 times. In the 4 sets that Woods didn't get a carry NSW made an error early in the tackle count while he was lining up for a hitup.

I don't give a toss. He'll be right to go for us on the weekend and push out 150+metres and 40 tackles and everyone will wonder why he wasn't given more time.

Lucas-Con

Juniors
Everyone lay off Pearce yeah he had a dud game but he was hardly the worst player out there, you know why he is picked above the others because he is the best defensive halfhack not because of who his dad is so f**k off with that shit there have been worse stuff ups and those players dont get criticized, people must think he is like triple h of the WWE and he has a say in origin selection.

Dugan and merrit have to go merrit was pathetic and dugan went missing I can't wait for hayne to get back back and as for wingers throw uate back in there he's defense has improved.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Ronnie's thoughts -

Pearce is utter shite.
Merrin is a cat, but hitting Tate can't be all that bad.
Merritt was laughable.

Queensland are still great.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Everyone lay off Pearce yeah he had a dud game but he was hardly the worst player out there, you know why he is picked above the others because he is the best defensive halfhack not because of who his dad is so f**k off with that shit there have been worse stuff ups and those players dont get criticized, people must think he is like triple h of the WWE and he has a say in origin selection.

Dugan and merrit have to go merrit was pathetic and dugan went missing I can't wait for hayne to get back back and as for wingers throw uate back in there he's defense has improved.

No way should anyone lay off Pearce. He's there because of his name and nothing else.

He is clearly out of his depth in origin.

Hutty1986

Immortal
I've never seen Merritt defend like that at the Rabbitohs at all actually.

Will you finally admit now that Merritt is a talentless hack who can't defend? Won't take a hit-up in his own half, can't jump, no real pace. They all apply to him, he's terrible and the book can finally be shut on this epic myth of a player.

Valheru

Coach
His debut was better than half of the performances Pearce has ever played The game itself didn't ruin him, the criticism afterwards.
Like I said in the Pearce and Maloney thread, NSW needs to experiment and if that means giving blokes like Mullo and Carney another shot, then they need to bite the bullet and take the risk. They just need to get Pearce out of there.

The problem is that when we lose a game with those players there then most NSW fans including you will be calling for their heads. It?s ridiculous, the 6 and 7 for NSW is the hardest gig in rugby league because people expect Andrew Johns and Brad Fitler like performances.

The facts are we do not have the halves to compete with QLD. Not one NSW half would get a look in the QLD squad of 25. The hate and pressure on the halves is ridiculous, every one that has tried it including Mullen, Campese, Carney etc. has been crucified after a loss.

The fact is that we need our forwards to dominate to compete because that is where we can match them, that didn?t happen last night. I am not bagging the forwards or saying that anyone should be dropped but no half could have engineered anything behind that QLD onslaught and on the back of no go forward.

Card Shark

Immortal
Will you finally admit now that Merritt is a talentless hack who can't defend? Won't take a hit-up in his own half, can't jump, no real pace. They all apply to him, he's terrible and the book can finally be shut on this epic myth of a player.

When Merritt was at the Sharks, I used to bag him out every single game. He scored a mountain of tries in the lower grades but in first grade, he was woefully out of his depth & so bloody frustrating. I was so happy to see him leave.

He is playing well for the Rabbits now but like his time at the Sharks, he can't seem to handle the rise in class.

BranVan3000

Coach
I've said a ton of times on the forum that Merritt should have been picked in in 2009 -2011. He hasn't been playing that well the past two years, he is thirty and never came back with the speed or strength he used to have after his last injury which I believe was his hip. Even then, he is a speedy winger and our halves don't have a clue how to use wingers (hence why we've decided to start using wingers like forwards since Mythell came in).

That said, his inside men let him down big time, they were all standing and watching. Watch the defence in game one compared to game two, every blue got up in the face of the opposition quickly. This time they let Thurston create massive overlaps and had Morris and Merritt both defending 3-4 or 2. Merritt looked like an idiot for following the coaches plan while everyone else looked shellshocked

Card Shark

Immortal
Papalli had nothing at all to do with the result. Got an armchair debut with game already in the bag. Good work if you can get it.

That's what Reynolds should have got 3 weeks ago but instead he debuts @ suncorp with his team behind 18-0.

Go figure.