What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'13 | R4 | Easter Mon | Roosters 50-0 Eels | Allianz

Round 4: Roosters v Eels

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blacklock

Juniors
Its the coaching.

In terms of player culture they have nothing worse than what Souths had.

We had a lot of the similar problems.

When we got the right coach in place it didn't take years, it didn't take a 5 year plan. It didn't need us writing off whole seasons before they started.

Same goes with the Dogs and even the Roosters.

Parra with the right coach would be much better much quicker.

These problems begin and end with the coach. The Eels and Warriors prove it.

Noone wants to see grown men crying.

the coach cant change that immediately. all behavior is learned through repetition. either bad or good habits. wayne bennett is greatest coach of all time. he came to the dragons and turned them around but not immediately. same with the knights. last year they were rubbish and this year theyve turned it around.

it takes time for a coach to fix the issues with the players. he isnt on the field playing everything at half speed. his hands for the most part are tied. he inherited a team not of his choosing. if they havent improved within 2 yrs then fair enough.

BunniesMan

Immortal
the coach cant change that immediately. all behavior is learned through repetition. either bad or good habits. wayne bennett is greatest coach of all time. he came to the dragons and turned them around but not immediately. same with the knights. last year they were rubbish and this year theyve turned it around.

it takes time for a coach to fix the issues with the players. he isnt on the field playing everything at half speed. his hands for the most part are tied. he inherited a team not of his choosing. if they havent improved within 2 yrs then fair enough.
Wayne Bennett took the Dragons from 7th to minor premiers in his first year.

Hasler took the Dogs from 9th to minor premiers in his first year.

Maguire took Souths from 10th to 3rd in his first year.

All massive improvements in their 1st years.

I'm not saying the Eels should be minor premiers this year but there should be a significant improvement in results even in a coaches 1st year if the coach knows what he is doing.

The question has to be asked, if the Eels finish last or near last this year and everyone says that Ricky can't be expected to do any better with this squad, then why were we so harsh on Kearney when a coach as respected an experienced as Ricky couldn't do any better with this mob?

ellskimore

Juniors
Ricky Stuart in the presser said the team tried their hearts out to the end and that they played the very best they could, beaten by the better side, that kind of thing. I know they don't have the best roster and their opposition played very well tonight, but if that is the best the Eels can offer then they are in a lot of trouble. It looked as though many of them had well and truly given up by half-time, particularly in their arm-grabbing defence.
I don't mean to be overly critical of the team, but surely he is kidding himself.

blacklock

Juniors
Wayne Bennett took the Dragons from 7th to minor premiers in his first year.

Hasler took the Dogs from 9th to minor premiers in his first year.

Maguire took Souths from 10th to 3rd in his first year.

All massive improvements in their 1st years.

I'm not saying the Eels should be minor premiers this year but there should be a significant improvement in results even in a coaches 1st year if the coach knows what he is doing.

The question has to be asked, if the Eels finish last or near last this year and everyone says that Ricky can't be expected to do any better with this squad, then why were we so harsh on Kearney when a coach as respected an experienced as Ricky couldn't do any better with this mob?
yes but the dragons were always knocking on the door. they were never in the position of being down the bottom of the ladder. so yes he improved things but he had a good team to do it with.

the problem with kearney was that he had the same ho hum approach regardless of the outcome. he had that laid back happy go lucky attitude.

the fact a second coach has come in and the result has been much the same should tell you something. perhaps it isnt entirely the coach and more to do with a few of the players having a sense of entitlement to their position.

ricky (as much as i dont like the guy as a person) is a good coach. but it doesnt help when there are a number of players acting as a drag on the team.

btw i say this as a dragons supporter/punter... i have no vested interest :) the eels just have a crap attitude. hayne is culprit number one. doesnt help the rest of the team when the marquee player has his head in the clouds.

but i do get what youre saying regarding the other coaches that came in and made a strong impact. i just feel that in those clubs, the culture wasnt as engrained.

Last edited:

BranVan3000

Coach
yes but the dragons were always knocking on the door. they were never in the position of being down the bottom of the ladder. so yes he improved things but he had a good team to do it with.

the problem with kearney was that he had the same ho hum approach regardless of the outcome. he had that laid back happy go lucky attitude.

the fact a second coach has come in and the result has been much the same should tell you something. perhaps it isnt entirely the coach and more to do with a few of the players having a sense of entitlement to their position.

ricky (as much as i dont like the guy as a person) is a good coach. but it doesnt help when there are a number of players acting as a drag on the team.

btw i say this as a dragons supporter/punter... i have no vested interest :) the eels just have a crap attitude. hayne is culprit number one. doesnt help the rest of the team when the marquee player has his head in the clouds.

but i do get what youre saying regarding the other coaches that came in and made a strong impact. i just feel that in those clubs, the culture wasnt as engrained.
At Souths we had Taylor and Lang before Maguire trying to change a losing culture with effectively the same squad. Maguire made a huge, huge difference to all the players in his first year

You can see these things early. But its difficult for Ricky, he cant attract talent and has little talent right now. Kearney made awful recruitment decisions. Its a stark contrast to say Trent Robinson who was effectively handed a squad of superstars and a fresh slate for his first year.