What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'13 WC | Group A | Australia 28-20 England | Cardiff

Group A: AUS v ENG

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Was a better performance from England than I thought. It looked at times like Australia were going to seriously run away with it. England can take a lot away from the fact that they kept the scoreline close.

If not for a couple of missed conversions there was only a try in it.

no name

Coach
England played a lot better than I expected, they hung in there in the last 20 when I thought Aus would have run away with it.
Both teams will have to improve to match it with the Kiwis.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Kangaroo centres and wingers look nothing special but geez thurston, smith and slater are good. Tomkins was great and warriors fans must be licking their lips.

Good opening game.

Harrigan

Juniors
Sorry LR, I'm with these guys on Sam.

He was terrible and cost us a fair few times. He offered little (for him) going forward and the errors and penalties killed us at vital times. Doubt he'll play that bad again though (when he's back for the semi :lol: )

tmfsd

Juniors
I thought the England forward pack and Tomkins all played pretty well. But Sinfield n Chase did f*ckall for most of the game, while Smith, Cronk and Thurston were all exceptional. For a Golden Boot I expected a lot more from Sinfield. Give Widdop a start in the halves I reckon

Good to see a nice tight score line

Springs

First Grade
It was a great game in my opinion and there were only little things in it. Great to be there too.

Australia started terribly but England lost it just before halftime. Had a few 50/50 calls gone the other way or England executed a bit better then maybe England could have won it. There were a few like:
- The strips on Fifita
- The Westwood knock-on just before England scored off a grubber
- The Burgess forward pass
- The Charnley foot on the line
- Inglis on Widdop would have been a penalty in the NRL in my opinion.

For Australia I thought Smith, Thurston, Slater and Gallen were very good. Morris, Thaiday, Parker, Farah and especially Tate I thought had limited impact, while Inglis was contained well.
For England I liked Tomkins, Hall, Hill, Roby and George Burgess, and Ferres did well for his first game against Australia. They need to get rid of Westwood, no amount of go forward is worth all those penalties, while I think Sam Burgess needs to move to prop or 2nd row. Tom Burgess and Ablett aren't up to it.
If they meet again I'd have Hayne, Jennings and Myles in for Morris, Tate and Thaiday. While Graham, O'Loughlin, Burrow and Farrell should come in for Tom Burgess, Westwood, Chase and Ablett. Widdop to move to 6.

It was great to see England play with pride in the jersey and push Australia all the way. Just a little bit better execution and they're right in this.

Last edited:

Springs

First Grade
One of the best parts of the game was Thurston bowing to the crowd after he slipped over. The English fans around were quite good sports as well. Perenara was absolutely terrible, so many penalties for the smallest things. If it's Australia-England in the final again he can't be the ref.

What was the tv coverage like?

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Lol we play like trash and have a genius coach picking a spastic 17 and still win comfortably in the end.

Imagine if we had Jennings and DCE in the team like they should have been and if GI was at 1.

Or even if we just had some decent forwards.

Englands best doesnt even match our worst. We'll put 50 on them in the semis.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Lol we play like trash and have a genius coach picking a spastic 17 and still win comfortably in the end.

Imagine if we had Jennings and DCE in the team like they should have been and if GI was at 1.

Or even if we just had some decent forwards.

Englands best doesnt even match our worst. We'll put 50 on them in the semis.
Yeah, sheens could of picked a better side by picking Merritt, ReyNOlds and Sutton right you gimp? lol@souffs!

BunniesMan

Immortal
Yeah, sheens could of picked a better side by picking Merritt, ReyNOlds and Sutton right you gimp? lol@souffs!
Um I actually specified how I thought the team could have been picked better. None of my suggestions involved adding more Souths players so your post is a fail at trolling.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The thing that stood out for me is that the English players played with more passion than most of the Aussies, at times some of the Aussies looked like they were just going through the motions.

England appear to be two or three players short of Australia class wise. That said, they are more than capable of beating Australia but everything has to go right.

Latest posts