What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 GF | PREMIERS - Rabbitohs 30-6 Bulldogs @ ANZ

2014 Premiers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bumble

First Grade
I know a lot of you don't like the other football but to use an extreme example of dominance not being carried over to the scoreboard:

images

MarkC

Juniors
Souths were clearly the better team on the day and were well deserved winners.

Most things went Souths way during and before the game and most of the damage to the Dogs chances (injured players, match fitness, form, etc) was done before the game started.

Under the circumstances the Dogs did well just to make the GF and they did very well to be competitive and in touch on the score board deep into the game.
But at no stage did the Dogs lead or seriously look like winning.
To win they would have need a bit of luck and they would have need to put Souths under pressure but getting to a lead and Souths needing to score.

I am not sure any other team would have done much better, Souths were too good and it was only great defense and team spirit in the Dogs camp that kept them in touch.
Yes Souths probably got more of the 50/50 calls, but it is hard to argue that it changed the result.

In terms of the effort put in by both sides 20-6 is probably a truer reflection of the game.
But regardless, Souths were clearly the better team and their form in the semis was impressive, it is hard to argue otherwise.

Game_Breaker

Coach
I know a lot of you don't like the other football but to use an extreme example of dominance not being carried over to the scoreboard:

images

That weakens your argument

Barca's style has always been to dominate possession. They do that in nearly every match they play, just because they dominate possession most of the time, it doesn't mean they're the better team most of the time.

Souths dominated in term of field position for most of the match, but couldn't really capitalise on that for most of the match.

Ofcourse they were still the better team during that time, but credit has to be given to Bulldogs' defense for holding them out for so long. Defense is part of the game.

Rabbits20

Immortal
What a great week it has been.

What a performance from Souths last week complete your sets and just keep trying to run over the Dogs.

Eventually Souths knew in the last 20mins they would have too much for the Dogs and could throw the ball around and have too much for the Dogs out wide and then keep making breaks through the middle.

Everyone who said Adam couldn't win Souths a comp, SUCKED IN!

ram raid

Bench
Watching the game I never got the feeling Canterbury were going to win. But the fact is they were never more than 6 points behind for 3/4 of the game. The Dogs have made a habit of winning playing sloppy footy this year and when they squared up in the second half I was thinking maybe they were a chance of doing it again .. and that maybe the pressure was going to get to Souths. But no, Souths just kept doing what they do and by the end the scoreline was a true reflection of their dominance in my opinion.

Slug

Juniors
Going to be an interesting selection for the Clive Churchill medal, given its been long proven that they'll never award it to anyone except a current kangaroo squad player. The award is almost by default going to go to Inglis, regardless of who wins as the majority of each sides top players are either kiwis, poms, or out of favour with national selectors.

Read your signature.

Slug

Juniors
Well done souths. Most consistent side all year and best team in the finals. Now I look forward to all their wanker fans telling us that this is start of a dynasty.

I hate to break this to you mate.

This here, is the start of a dynasty.

Slug

Juniors
There's no way he will make it in the forwards in union.

I personally think he will struggle to make the England international team. Just my opinion. I think he's a fantastic player, but I don't think he has the skills to transfer across as easily as Williams did.

I tend to agree with you that he left to play international union. I also suspect he is a bloke that very much enjoys the limelight. If he doesn't succeed in union quickly, I wouldn't surprised to see him back in Souths colours sooner rather than later. And that would make me very happy as he's player I enjoy watching and a player who raises the profile of rugby league in NSW (and I'm sure in England as well).

I'd also love to see greater emphasis placed on the international game.

In fact, the only thing we probably disagree on is whether he'll be a success in union or not.

He will be a sensation. Yawnion won't know what hit it.

Latest posts