What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'15 | R1 | Sat | NEW 24-14 WAR | Hunter

Round 1: Knights v Warriors

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
At the moment the Knights are probably the second most WTF team behind the Warriors. Despite the cries of foul in the first 40 minutes, there were some seriously seriously dumb shit they did to put themselves under pressure, and it could have cost them badly.

Warriors likewise, but it's harder to get a gauge on where we are with such a disrupted line up. Will be interesting to see how things settle in the coming weeks for both teams.

Sims of the T variety will be a big plus when he comes back in (if for no other reason than to get rid of Houston). Gidley....yeah probably not so much.

Swarzey

Bench
Thing is, I don't think Sione did anything Gidley couldn't do and there's a reason he's a centre before a fullback. Despite how poor Gidley has been in recent years he showed he can still play somewhat well in the 1 towards the end of last season. Not saying Sione isn't going to be anything special this season or suffer from second year syndrome but he's strong, he's got speed, but he doesn't have the ball playing ability that you want from a fullback. Also not saying Gidley does too, but his experience in the half would have helped.

Burns

First Grade
B_elx5vUsAAjdNQ.jpg

Apey

Staff member
I thought Sione got shown up a few times on the Warriors linebreaks and was lacking a bit in support play, two areas where Gidley has him beat. You'd kind of expect that at this stage though.

Noname36

First Grade
Although we have a lot to work on I was proud of the Knights effort. The backline was getting reshuffled all game through injuries and concussions, copped a pasting by the refs, a sin binning, lack of quality possession but they defended their line set after set grimly. That's really all I ask as a fan.

I thought Uate and Gagai were fantastic. Neither suited Bennett-ball and look much more dangerous and happy with more freedom. Their defence has come a long way since last year too. Still some issues there but much, much better.

Need to work on the left edge in attack though. We had no idea but I can somewhat understand it given we had injury issues there and it's round 1. In general the Knights got way too excited sometimes when they had he ball and it resulted in too many turn overs on tackles one.

The Warriors rookies didn't look out of place and you couldn't tell that they were rookies which is probably the biggest compliment you can give young blokes. The Warriors really needed to score more points when they had so much quality possession but the attack will get better as the players have more chance to gel.

Doomednow

Bench
I hope the knights do well this year. They aren't an arsehole team and it will maximise the schadenfreude if Bennett continues to lose.

Iafeta

Referee
Shaun Johnson is overrated like Brendan Mcullum and Trent Boult

New Overratedland

New Zealand- its better than Old Zealand. Lostralia - noun. Country that repeatedly loses to New Zealand.

In all seriousness, I don't think its doom and gloom for the Warriors. Vete, Lisone, Kata, Lolohea, some real talent there. Lolohea I thought was absolutely magic in the first half... having said that, I still think Tomkins ball skills would open up the outside backs a little more. He tends to create space with extremely quick hands or the right draw and pass at the right time.

Disappointments were Lillyman, looks horribly out of shape for round 1, Johnson who went missing big time in the second half in particular, and Ben Henry who is a very good backrower, but he is the equivalent of a turd with legs in the centres in terms of defence. Second time I've thought his defence was pretty much the difference in a loss, same thing last year against Brisbane. In the backrow he is very, very good.

Eddie.

Bench
The Warriors are just such a mentally soft side. At 14-6 and with a player in the bin that should be curtains. However they give up some soft tries and take bone headed options in attack. Well done to Newcastle on a gutsy win, would like to seem them do well with Stone back hopefully playing a more expansive game.

Latest posts